Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Big build getting back on track

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:01 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I rang him this afternoon and he was busy with it! Be good to see the old girl back on the road
Old 05-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Started to think about Insurance again as it wont be too long before its needed. Have been happy with my present insurers for 14 years mainly because a few years back they were the only company to allow Nitrous on the road. However they valued my car at 30k the RSOC said 35k so I thought lets give the RSOC a chance to quote. I rang Need to Insure & the pause when I said my name meant I knew it was a RS fan on the other end who recognised my name. Well gave the details & said that another 100bhp was likely & they said we will get back you. They did next day knocking £200 off my present payment & a 35k valuation. Also said its insured for any mods so im telling Mark to buy a bigger Turbo & go for 1200bhp. IMPRESSED !!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Not a bad result there Rod, they must be reading your thread lol..
Old 06-12-2015, 11:59 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Every year i get a quote from need to insure and they always come in cheaper.

But

My present insurers always beat there quote.. so i stay with them.

Sounds like a good deal Rod and with Any mods the world is your oyster...
Old 06-12-2015, 12:07 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
Started to think about Insurance again as it wont be too long before its needed. Have been happy with my present insurers for 14 years mainly because a few years back they were the only company to allow Nitrous on the road. However they valued my car at 30k the RSOC said 35k so I thought lets give the RSOC a chance to quote. I rang Need to Insure & the pause when I said my name meant I knew it was a RS fan on the other end who recognised my name. Well gave the details & said that another 100bhp was likely & they said we will get back you. They did next day knocking £200 off my present payment & a 35k valuation. Also said its insured for any mods so im telling Mark to buy a bigger Turbo & go for 1200bhp. IMPRESSED !!!!!!!!
Wish my insurance company was like that! 200quid off for an extra 100bhp.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:51 AM
jessie_rs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

need to insure are pretty good
Old 18-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Been 6 weeks since I made a report. Mark agrees I can quote that my engine will be in the car before end of February. Still lots to do & the aim is to run it in & do all the fettling before putting it on a Hub Dyno & then a RR to see how far apart they are & then pretend the highest figure is the accurate one & stick to that (only kidding). Then when all is well we will take it out of the car & put it on a engine Dyno. Maybe Peter Knight or Julian Godfrey's Dyno because Marks preferred choice wont be able to cope with our Power just yet.
When all is well a run will be made as a final bash at going faster. Our runs at Woodbridge have always been our fastest so Mark prefers a run at Terminal Velocity & not Vmax. 199.8, 206.0, 206.1 & the unofficial 210 is not bad & far better than our runs at Brunters which has also seen our 2 failures in our 29 Topspeed runs todate.
Old 18-01-2016, 03:28 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I'll pop round just after the 25th and pay for that fuel pump rod
Old 18-01-2016, 05:03 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Those figures on hub dyno vs chassis dyno vs engine dyno will interest me.

Me and the engine builder at work have many heated discussions regarding the above...

Paul
Old 18-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

You should put it on the SCS dyno, they have experience of building a prooven 1000bhp motor already
Old 18-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullflush
You should put it on the SCS dyno, they have experience of building a prooven 1000bhp motor already
Thats not going to happen.

Mark
Old 18-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by costina
Those figures on hub dyno vs chassis dyno vs engine dyno will interest me.

Me and the engine builder at work have many heated discussions regarding the above...

Paul
It will be done to compare against other cars on each of the diff dyno's rather than to check the power diff between the diff makes of dyno.

Mark
Old 18-01-2016, 05:53 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
It will be done to compare against other cars on each of the diff dyno's rather than to check the power diff between the diff makes of dyno.

Mark
It will make interesting reading.
Do you have a preference when using a chassis dyno?

Paul
Old 18-01-2016, 06:20 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by costina
It will make interesting reading.
Do you have a preference when using a chassis dyno?

Paul
The last time we ran on a DD RR we was at the limit of the power or strapping method so this needs to be looked at,
I have only ever once run on a hub dyno many years ago and was at the limit of it at 872hp at the hubs and it didnt like it,
I know of a hub dyno close to me so will be trying it as it is currently my closest dyno,
I am running on a diff dyno this wee with large drums so will see what this one is like.

Mark
Old 18-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by ajamesc
I'll pop round just after the 25th and pay for that fuel pump rod

No Rush Andy !!!
Old 18-01-2016, 06:32 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

The last time we ran on a DD RR we was at the limit of the power or strapping method so this needs to be looked at,
I have only ever once run on a hub dyno many years ago and was at the limit of it at 872hp at the hubs and it didnt like it,
I know of a hub dyno close to me so will be trying it as it is currently my closest dyno,
I am running on a diff dyno this wee with large drums so will see what this one is like.

Mark
I can imagine its a right pain and a cossie is not the easiest to strap down at 400bhp let alone what you have.
Old 18-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Thats not going to happen.

Mark
I can imagine they might nobble it "Rods car tops out at 375bhp"
Old 18-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Fullflush

If that is the issue then surely you can just rent it for the day and operate it yourself?

Surely there wouldn't be anything going on like that - you are paying customers
Old 18-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If that is the issue then surely you can just rent it for the day and operate it yourself?

Surely there wouldn't be anything going on like that - you are paying customers
I am not interested in commenting on that so please don't ask anymore on that subject.

Mark
Old 19-01-2016, 11:46 AM
steveboyslim
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I know Mark has his preferences, as it is two wheel drive I would like to see the car mapped on the rollers at Track 'n' Road, their TAT single roller has been used by many including Mountune, JD Classics etc , some very powerful road and race cars have been tested there, can handle 1200 + bhp and over 250mph, proven to be very accurate by the people who helped develop the RS Focus and some of the EcoBoost performance.

Steve

Last edited by steveboyslim; 19-01-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:39 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i'm sure there will be no excuses for it not making the power then

but i honestly fail to see the point in putting an engine on a dyno other than to A, see how far you can go before destruction, or 2, braging rights down the pub

if you are building an engine with one aim in mind then stick the engine into the car and drive it, this will far outweigh any gains you may have in an enclosed environment vs the "real world"

that's my take on it, i'm sure someone will come along and turn this into a discussion about how it's easier to fit a widget to an engine in a room than when it's bolted to a car
Old 19-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by dojj
i'm sure there will be no excuses for it not making the power then

but i honestly fail to see the point in putting an engine on a dyno other than to A, see how far you can go before destruction, or 2, braging rights down the pub

if you are building an engine with one aim in mind then stick the engine into the car and drive it, this will far outweigh any gains you may have in an enclosed environment vs the "real world"

that's my take on it, i'm sure someone will come along and turn this into a discussion about how it's easier to fit a widget to an engine in a room than when it's bolted to a car
Oh! dear Dojj your world is rather different to mine. You can brag about them down the pub if you like but you may not know im tea total. I need a graph of the engine to correctly gear the car. When I know the available Max Power ( It will not be balls out figure for you pub jount but a figure at the Boost we will use on a Topspeed run) & at what revs I can from all the data I have get closer than most to optimum gearing. Flat out at the point you brake is the aim Dojj. R&D on my other builds mean we know the max ignition we can use so hopefully we can avoid that going tits up point we have hit that twice during earlier development.
Old 19-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Fullflush

I would use a dyno them tweek it in the car
Old 19-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

I would use a dyno them tweek it in the car
That's what happens normally. This engine has a lot of new bits & Mark wants some fettling time before we go to the Dyno. We don't normally fit the engine then take it back out to Dyno it.
Old 19-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Been 6 weeks since I made a report. Mark agrees I can quote that my engine will be in the car before end of February. Still lots to do & the aim is to run it in & do all the fettling before putting it on a Hub Dyno & then a RR to see how far apart they are & then pretend the highest figure is the accurate one & stick to that (only kidding). Then when all is well we will take it out of the car & put it on a engine Dyno. Maybe Peter Knight or Julian Godfrey's Dyno because Marks preferred choice wont be able to cope with our Power just yet.
When all is well a run will be made as a final bash at going faster. Our runs at Woodbridge have always been our fastest so Mark prefers a run at Terminal Velocity & not Vmax. 199.8, 206.0, 206.1 & the unofficial 210 is not bad & far better than our runs at Brunters which has also seen our 2 failures in our 29 Topspeed runs todate.
I know someone who works with Julian Godfrey who says some good stuff about his engine dyno.

I don't get the points regarding dyno's? IMO something like this needs setting up in a controlled environment, I wouldn't even stand near a 1000 bhp 2WD car strapped down onto a dyno let alone sit in it (although its probably safer inside than out!).

An engine dyno is the most controlled way to get a very good baseline setup. Plus you can maintain a set coolant temperature which can be tough on a chassis dyno.
Old 19-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rob_DOHC
I know someone who works with Julian Godfrey who says some good stuff about his engine dyno.

I don't get the points regarding dyno's? IMO something like this needs setting up in a controlled environment, I wouldn't even stand near a 1000 bhp 2WD car strapped down onto a dyno let alone sit in it (although its probably safer inside than out!).

An engine dyno is the most controlled way to get a very good baseline setup. Plus you can maintain a set coolant temperature which can be tough on a chassis dyno.
I have used Julian's dyno and made 1095hp on a GTO engine, Nice set up but from me its a hard tiring journey which is a downside.

Mark
Old 19-01-2016, 09:18 PM
dojj

Oh! dear Dojj your world is rather different to mine. You can brag about them down the pub if you like but you may not know im tea total. I need a graph of the engine to correctly gear the car. When I know the available Max Power ( It will not be balls out figure for you pub jount but a figure at the Boost we will use on a Topspeed run) & at what revs I can from all the data I have get closer than most to optimum gearing. Flat out at the point you brake is the aim Dojj. R&D on my other builds mean we know the max ignition we can use so hopefully we can avoid that going tits up point we have hit that twice during earlier development.
but for you rod, being on the limit and knowing what you are aiming for, it's a bit different to joe blogs running a 400 brake lump with whatever turbo and injectors and software you can readily bung into the engine bay in order to do a rolling burnout down the southend seafront

for that sort of stuff you can use a simple rolling road for a token payment and show off to your mates down the pub rather than spending a fortune sticking it in into a box to find that extra 0.7 bhp
Old 20-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by dojj
but for you rod, being on the limit and knowing what you are aiming for, it's a bit different to joe blogs running a 400 brake lump with whatever turbo and injectors and software you can readily bung into the engine bay in order to do a rolling burnout down the southend seafront

for that sort of stuff you can use a simple rolling road for a token payment and show off to your mates down the pub rather than spending a fortune sticking it in into a box to find that extra 0.7 bhp
That's true Dojj but im not Joe Bloggs & im still trying to push the boundaries a tad more. Think Mark has made it look easy in the past & our 2005 speeds still stand so it proves they were good records & wont be easy to beat. Hence we are adopting the same approach as last time which means doing all those things you think are a waste of time & money.
Old 20-01-2016, 08:45 AM
dojj

in your case i'm not saying they are a waste of time and money rod, if you can find limitations in a room rather than on the top speed run then there is a massive potential saving, not just for the motor but also for the drivers underpants

pushing the limits is where all this r&d comes into it's own

but for joe blogs down the road they aren't going to see that 30 years ago someone did all this to get the first 500 bhp car, nor are they going to look at how technology has progressed or turbo's are different or injectors now do double the work for half the effort or any of that

they are going to tell you that their fwd chariot has been chipped to 500 bhp and be done with it

it's like building an extension, anyone can do it if they have the ability to put bricks together and operate a cordless screwdriver, building a sky scraper requires just that little bit more skill
The following users liked this post:
Rod-Tarry (20-01-2016)
Old 20-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I have used Julian's dyno and made 1095hp on a GTO engine, Nice set up but from me its a hard tiring journey which is a downside.

Mark
Thats some good going! And yes it is kind of in the middle of no where!

Although I have never used it, Austec racing in Crawley has an engine dyno which they hire which might be an easier journey but I have only ever used their Chassis dyno and know very little about the engine dyno (how modern, how well maintained etc), other than it has a mother of a coolant tank.

Rob,
Old 22-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Its Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow

Can't believe this car has not ran since l broke up my old escort

Good luck for next couple of years oops l meant months lol
Old 24-01-2016, 02:49 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good and nice to hear the results you are hoping for Rod

You are quoting you hope to see 800lb/ft of torque, what are you doing gearbox wise as I have the same tremec as yourself and it's only rated at 600lb/ft so can't see it holding on long especially once an extra 100+lb/ft is added with the nos

Also do you think the large mouth opening on your front bumper will be ok at such high speeds?
I remember Steve Scott when he ran the focus he had to run the standard bumper to crack 180mph, the focus rs bumper with the large opening limited him to 177mph before the bottom of the opening tore off, just wandered if that may hinder you in any way?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Mark rang today to say the car is booked into a local paint shop to do a tart up under the bonnet. Its actually moved from its tomb of 4 years & will be up on the ramps when it returns from paint. Ist job will be to remove the Nitrous 'push' system that is no longer required. Then fit the Veyron pump with its 21V supply controlled by the ECU.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:11 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by Gav Diamond
Looking good and nice to hear the results you are hoping for Rod

You are quoting you hope to see 800lb/ft of torque, what are you doing gearbox wise as I have the same tremec as yourself and it's only rated at 600lb/ft so can't see it holding on long especially once an extra 100+lb/ft is added with the nos

Also do you think the large mouth opening on your front bumper will be ok at such high speeds?
I remember Steve Scott when he ran the focus he had to run the standard bumper to crack 180mph, the focus rs bumper with the large opening limited him to 177mph before the bottom of the opening tore off, just wandered if that may hinder you in any way?
The Tremec will take huge Torque lots of drag cars with way more Torque than mine. We will have enough Power not to worry about extra drag from the bumper. The unofficial 210 was achieved with circa 840bhp this means running 940bhp would allow 215mph to be achieved. Our Target is 212mph so we are going overloaded with Power as we always do.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

So are you not using noz at all any more then?
Cant wait to see the car in action again Rod!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by Fudgey
So are you not using noz at all any more then?
Cant wait to see the car in action again Rod!
I only ever used it at high Speeds to give that extra push. The direct port with 'push' system was a total overkill. Nitrous will remain in single fogger form (100bhp) if we ever decided to use it. If we are over 900bhp from the engine it wont be required to reach the target of 212mph.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:06 AM
homer j
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is old school with all the benefits of modern tech and development. I've been a massive fan of this car and what you and Mark have been doing with it ever since I saw it perform at one of the first TOTB days at elvington. Can't wait to see it crack 212mph. It's also great to see people still trying to push the boundaries instead of all the usual cars cutting around claiming 500bhp.

Although my own ERST won't be anywhere near as powerful or as fast as your cossie I do look on with interest to see what nice little modern toys I may be able to incorporate into the bulid.

Regards,

Tom
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Tremec will take huge Torque lots of drag cars with way more Torque than mine.
Sorry to keep on about the box mate, how do you find it with high rpm?

Only reason I ask is mine struggles to change gear over 7500rpm to the point I think the bulk rings are damaged (yet to strip to investigate) and crunches into 3rd gear after only approx 4000 miles

Just wandering if it's a gearbox fault or could be my clutch system
Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Gav Diamond
Sorry to keep on about the box mate, how do you find it with high rpm?

Only reason I ask is mine struggles to change gear over 7500rpm to the point I think the bulk rings are damaged (yet to strip to investigate) and crunches into 3rd gear after only approx 4000 miles

Just wandering if it's a gearbox fault or could be my clutch system
What gear oil and clutch set up and spigot bearing you got.

Mark
Old 08-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What gear oil and clutch set up and spigot bearing you got.

Mark
Hi Mark
I used normal ATF dextron 3 I think it was, if that's wrong it could explain the oil leak from the input shaft seal

Clutch set up is a Reyland centre push with 0.7 master cylinder but have contemplated going to side push as I've never been happy with the centre push, spigot bearing again were supplied by Reyland but used 2 types as was originally on twin plate clutch but the flywheel had not been machined correctly so to save fuss went with helix paddle clutch and was supplied a different spigot to match it

Quick Reply: Big build getting back on track