Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Finally started work on my Focus

Search this Thread

Old 17-01-2018, 09:25 PM
Rstar_man
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jonfoc
Are you changing the roll bars?

I'll be using standard roll bars for now just using poly D bushes and adjustable drop links, would love blade roll bars but they will come one day
Old 17-01-2018, 09:27 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Yeah that helps thanks. I've got braided lines, roll over vent, swirl pot etc. I too have the flat floor. I'm thinking of fitting a mounting tray for the fuel cell to sit on with the pumps etc. Then as you are saying a cover that fits over completely sealing in the system.
Old 18-01-2018, 04:46 PM
PaulinhoT

Received 148 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm really enjoying this build, hopefully I will get along to some of the time attack events this year.
Old 18-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Rstar_man
Hello mate, its something I hear quite a lot can you do this or that won't work, but from my experience on cars I have built and run in the past be it from 24hr cars, club level front wheel drive cars and all the way to BTCC S2000 and NGTC spec cars, something that we have always done is put heavier pound springs on so we could run a more supple and not as stiff dampers (all be it a shit ton stiffer the anything I will run). Yes in my case I don't have a way of controlling the rebound externally so have no way of controlling it if the springs are to hard, which is why its a game of finding the right balance for how I want it to behave on track, but through many years of working in motorsport I have been lucky to make friends with suspension experts who can re-valve and shim the internals to suit if it feels to bouncy. Saying that I'm going to try the standard springs and then change to the stiffer springs back to back to get a comparison and make to damper softer to suit the stiffer springs

Cool, I used to do track days with the guy who married Nicola Foulston who sold Brands Hatch, he was an instructor there and often used his 911 964Rs on track days (as well as having 6 gt2 993 rs's) and he used to run 600lbs on the front and could still oversteer it like a God and make it go very quickly whereas when we tried to drive it we really struggled, he liked his cars that way.

I had a 911 3.2 track car on pretty trick setup but I liked it soft and to feel the car move, when I got in GT3's I used to spin off a fair bit before I got used to the stiffer set up and less roll.

Certainly wasn't doubting your knowledge, just seems immense spring rates to me.

I read an article about modern cars being much stiffer springs as Shox we're very expensive compared to stiffer springs so you could stiffen the car to disguise cheaper Shox.

I am dropping my spring rates an stiffening up my roll bars for road use, I assume this is a good route?
Old 29-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Rstar_man

Evening all small update time again,

So with a damp Sunday I got a few hours on the car,

So with the car on the ramp I pondered with a beer what I was going to start on

Due to new MSA/FIA reg's they state a battery inside the car has to be in the passenger seat area but with Time Attack reg's I have to run a passenger seat, so I relocated it the behind the passenger seat to make it easier get to if needed

I also got round to installing my new shifter tower, moving the gear knob closer to the wheel and hopefully a more comfortable position

Fuel line and pump have arrived just waiting for filter and fuel sampling/drain pipe to arrive then can start on the updated fuel system

And set about making the plate to house the swirl pot, pump and filter

It's in a raw state at the moment so will look better when all finished and will be covered in a sealed lid to meet reg's.

Thanks for the comments guys
Old 29-01-2018, 08:12 PM
jonfoc

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Are you using Teflon hose pal?
Old 29-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Rstar_man

Originally Posted by jonfoc
Are you using Teflon hose pal?
No mate I'm using rubber but stainless steal braided. I've used it in many cars and had no issue's
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM
PaulinhoT

Loving the update, why have they said the battery has to be in the passenger area ?
Old 02-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Rstar_man

Originally Posted by PaulinhoT
Loving the update, why have they said the battery has to be in the passenger area ?
Thank you mate.

I have no idea why they have changed where the battery location is if I'm honest, it has always been I the passenger foot well but in this years MSA blue book it has been changed so only going on what I have read
Old 19-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Rstar_man

Evening all,

With the 2018 season getting closer and the first outing of the car on the 28th at Cadwell park only round the corner, Me and my partner in crime have been hard at work when we have had spare time.

Firstly I had to get the swirl pot re-welded as every outlet was leaking due to the welds not being finished properly,

This was just one of the holes

Also I have put a fuel sampling/drain dry brake coupling in the feed line,

and started to make a box to cover it all which isn't finished yet as it's only been quickly thrown together,

Amongst sorting everything on the car, we have been busy with the new colour scheme for this year,

and here it is.........

Only in black and white for now as I'm still waiting for some sponsor stickers to arrive

I'm really looking forward to getting back behind the wheel and seeing/feeling what difference all the hard work and changes will have made

Thanks for reading
Old 20-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Top work mate ..look forward to see how you get on ..all the best.
The following users liked this post:
Rstar_man (20-03-2018)
Old 20-03-2018, 07:41 PM
PaulinhoT

I've been enjoying these pictures on instagram, and the car is looking awesome
The following users liked this post:
Rstar_man (20-03-2018)
Old 20-03-2018, 11:38 PM
Rstar_man

Originally Posted by PaulinhoT
I've been enjoying these pictures on instagram, and the car is looking awesome
Thanks mate, hopefully I will get it out in the sun this week for some fresh air and maybe a photo or 2 ✌️
Old 20-03-2018, 11:42 PM
Rstar_man

Originally Posted by Rsmat
Top work mate ..look forward to see how you get on ..all the best.
Cheers buddy, It's been quite stressful getting it to this point with only the evenings and odd Sunday when I can as I do all the work myself but it's nearly there 🤔🙈
Old 09-03-2020, 10:17 PM
PaulR155
Audioholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came across this nice to see how much your car has progressed since i first saw it many years ago when we went to elvetham heath car show.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:26 PM
Rstar_man

Originally Posted by PaulR155
Just came across this nice to see how much your car has progressed since i first saw it many years ago when we went to elvetham heath car show.
Thanks Paul, the car has had a few more changes since the last post, but I’ve not had time to keep updating the thread. Feel free to check my Facebook and Instagram page’s for more updates and what I have been up to. Just search Solar Motorsport. I don’t just have my car to run these days I have a few customer cars that have both finished 2 in Clubman and Pocket Rocket last year in Time Attack and a first place in class B in Super Lap Scotland. Roll on 2020 🏆
Old 10-03-2020, 07:57 AM
PaulR155
Audioholic

Thanks Paul, the car has had a few more changes since the last post, but I’ve not had time to keep updating the thread. Feel free to check my Facebook and Instagram page’s for more updates and what I have been up to. Just search Solar Motorsport. I don’t just have my car to run these days I have a few customer cars that have both finished 2 in Clubman and Pocket Rocket last year in Time Attack and a first place in class B in Super Lap Scotland. Roll on 2020 🏆
Glad things are going well ill check the newer updates later
Old 11-03-2020, 10:35 PM
Rstar_man

So, I thought I’d start again with my thread. To start things off, yes it’s still a 1600 (good little light and revvy engine in my opinion) and a few pictures from 2019 season and my first trip north of the border to Knockhill for Super Lap Scotland with the car. Hopefully further plans of improvements this year when I can but more importantly just enjoy driving and spending time behind the wheel as seat time is far and few between when owning a race team and looking after customer cars first 🤘 Roll on 2020 🏆🏁

Old 12-03-2020, 08:26 PM
PaulR155
Audioholic

Looks great i looked through the other pics on fb looks like great fun. are you planning on ITB's at some point?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Rstar_man

Originally Posted by PaulR155
Looks great i looked through the other pics on fb looks like great fun. are you planning on ITB's at some point?
Thanks mate, I have some ITB’s for it but won’t to sort other bits out first and finish working on a spare cylinder head and new cams before I use them
Old 12-03-2020, 10:05 PM
PaulR155
Audioholic

Thanks mate, I have some ITB’s for it but won’t to sort other bits out first and finish working on a spare cylinder head and new cams before I use them
Nice itb's sound great on these engines. I'm looking to improve my mk7 fiesta zs further i have the mountune mr155 on it but i could do with a bit more welly now due to the extra weight of the audio and i dont want to loose that lol.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Rstar_man

Not much had had happened lately with updates on the car but some slow progress ahead of what is left of this year.

First of all I’ve made a visit to Lightning Motorsport and have been through some new engine plans which we are please with and hoping will make the car more competitive in the further.

Oh and we have moved over to a new workshop! 🤘

the Focus has a good stable mate now with Gareth’s ST which I also run on and off track during the year competing in Time Attack. just a couple of pictures taken over the last few weeks. I also tried Gareth’s wheels on the Focus. Not to sure on the colour though.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:05 PM
PaulR155
Audioholic

Cars looking good
Old 20-07-2020, 11:16 PM
Rstar_man

So 2020,

As we all know the start of this year wasn’t the best for the entire world, but racing finally started again on the 11th July at Oulton Park. Round 1 if UK Time Attack was a go.

I had a few hectic evenings put the car back together and just making the dead line I have gave myself. The first outing in the car since Super Lap Scotland last year didn’t start off the best it could, just 5 laps in the wheel bearing
e out which was frustrating but these things happen. But that was sorted and managed for the rest of the day. After the rocky start I managed to take 4 seconds off my time from last year with no extra BHP just a few tweeks to handleing and better brakes and another trophy for the cabinet. Now time to replace all four wheel bearings and make some changes for the next outing 🏆🏁🏆

Last edited by Rstar_man; 20-07-2020 at 11:21 PM.