Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Fiesta MK5 project

Search this Thread

Old 24-07-2014, 04:36 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta MK5 project

Hey guys, finally got round to doing a little thread. I've put it up on ZSOC so far but figured I'd put it here as well. My mum bought a 1.3 back in 2009 and since 2012 I've had it but only started doing little bits recently. Only got the one picture from before but here goes anyway. Bit of a slow project until I get a job. Now body kit is fitted and painted (going to fix the cracks) my next plans are new alloys for my birthday next month, Mondeo or ZS ones I think, lower it, some ZS brakes and polybushed ready for engine swap in the coming months! Anyway here are some pics!

[IMG][/IMG]
New head unit

[IMG][/IMG]
Sprayed some plastics

[IMG][/IMG]
ZS clocks. Much better than the standard 1.3 ones with no tacho!

[IMG][/IMG]
This is the only picture I have before the body kit. As you can see, i had smoked the lights, sprayed the grille and fitted some fogs which I had no idea to wire in so did nothing?

[IMG][/IMG]
ZS kit for only £16!

[IMG][/IMG]
Trial fitted

[IMG][/IMG]
All painted and a couple of pics, just need to fix the broken section out the front!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Overall I reckon it looks pretty good but let me know what you think!
Old 24-07-2014, 05:06 PM
bagginsRSturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks good mate,needs to be a touch lower but apart from that its look good
Old 24-07-2014, 05:29 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by bagginsRSturbo
Looks good mate,needs to be a touch lower but apart from that its look good
Yeah tell me about it, there's a fair bit of roll in the corners on some A roads haha, think I'll drop it about 40mm
Old 24-07-2014, 07:53 PM
bagginsRSturbo

40mm plenty, that's how much mine is lowered but you prob going to need new shocks as the springs will knack them after a while what other plans you got
Old 24-07-2014, 08:18 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

40mm plenty, that's how much mine is lowered but you prob going to need new shocks as the springs will knack them after a while what other plans you got
Yeah so I'd heard, budget is tight atm so was thinking maybe just 20mm if the shocks could cope with that for time being? Other plans are to sort some new alloys next month and eventually drop a new engine in but not sure which lump yet. 1.7 seems to be easiest but Its a bit overdone so might look at other options
Old 24-07-2014, 08:34 PM
bagginsRSturbo

Depends on your budget you can pick up gmax shock and springs for £170 .what rims you looking at the pooma lump is a good one they are other engine you can drop eg st150 2.0 zetec depends on how mechanical minded you are and weather you can knock up mounts etc
Old 24-07-2014, 11:43 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Depends on your budget you can pick up gmax shock and springs for £170 .what rims you looking at the pooma lump is a good one they are other engine you can drop eg st150 2.0 zetec depends on how mechanical minded you are and weather you can knock up mounts etc
£170? Cheapest I can find is for £215 on puma build, where did you see them? and yeah mechanical stuff im okay, just fixed up an engine where the cambelt went but it's welding I'm no good at, and judging by some other threads I've seen, anything like 1.8 or 2.0 etc requires welded mounts right?
Old 25-07-2014, 04:23 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The ST engine is duratec, so the inlet and exhaust are opposite sides to the usual zetec. It's easier to mod a zetec and fit it really. And fuck loads cheaper.
Old 25-07-2014, 05:13 AM
bagginsRSturbo

Originally Posted by JoeyBoyden
£170? Cheapest I can find is for £215 on puma build, where did you see them? and yeah mechanical stuff im okay, just fixed up an engine where the cambelt went but it's welding I'm no good at, and judging by some other threads I've seen, anything like 1.8 or 2.0 etc requires welded mounts right?
I got mine off ebay, yeah will have to modify the engine mounts it can be done,its just the puma engine is v straight forward to do
Old 25-07-2014, 11:27 AM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

I got mine off ebay, yeah will have to modify the engine mounts it can be done,its just the puma engine is v straight forward to do
Yeah seems to be the case, with the 1.3 in mine though apparently there's more work than if you were swapping an se for the puma lump. I think my best option is to buy a cat d or c salvage puma, seen a few on car transplants for around 200quid that way I can get everything off it
Old 25-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

These fiestas are a good little car.Its a shame they rot like mad.

Me and the Mrs had a mk5 1.25 glia for about 5 years. We went all over the country in it.
Old 25-07-2014, 03:19 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Glenn_
These fiestas are a good little car.Its a shame they rot like mad.

Me and the Mrs had a mk5 1.25 glia for about 5 years. We went all over the country in it.
Yeah so far mine has been a great car and has only needed wear and tear issues sorting but rot has started to appear on the arches and last year mot needed some doing gonna try and get some Hammerite on there!
Old 25-07-2014, 04:27 PM
bagginsRSturbo

Yeah seems to be the case, with the 1.3 in mine though apparently there's more work than if you were swapping an se for the puma lump. I think my best option is to buy a cat d or c salvage puma, seen a few on car transplants for around 200quid that way I can get everything off it
Yeah prob be bed that what I. Did,you'll also need to change the interior loom as well if you. Need any parts iv got shit loads
Old 25-07-2014, 04:32 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Yeah prob be bed that what I. Did,you'll also need to change the interior loom as well if you. Need any parts iv got shit loads
Oh really? My interior loom has the connections for front fogs and all even though my car doesn't have the engine bay loom for them. I read somewhere that fiestas either get the whole lot like the zs, then some get half like mine with only the interior loom all kitted out and then the bottom of the range ones don't get any of the loom for front fogs, leccy windows etc
Old 25-07-2014, 10:37 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Also what parts you got? I'm looking for an RS Turbo steering wheel but not sure if it bolts straight on to a MK5
Old 26-07-2014, 05:29 AM
bagginsRSturbo

Also what parts you got? I'm looking for an RS Turbo steering wheel but not sure if it bolts straight on to a MK5
I haven't got a turbo wheel I don't think it would fit as I think they have different splines I might be wrong.
Old 26-07-2014, 11:09 AM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

I haven't got a turbo wheel I don't think it would fit as I think they have different splines I might be wrong.
I saw another thread where a guy had put it on his without any mods I think but it wouldn't lock when the engine was turned off
Old 26-07-2014, 05:10 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Got a bit more work done today. Arches had been bubbling and as much as I tried to clear them up, the rot came back through the paint so I've decided to remove the source and get those god awful rear arch liners out the way. Given the arches a good clean but god the screws for the liners were knackered so had to rip the liners out, what a mess! Gonna get some hammerite under there, prime it and paint it!

[IMG][/IMG]
Arches are both in similar condition not too bad but the bottom of the arch is a different story....

[IMG][/IMG]
This worries me a little, it's the same story on the other side in the same place. A screw driver or hammer would bring this right off, anyone know if this is an MOT failure or is it okay? It was only MOT'd in march and needed welding underneath but they never mentioned these parts, mnd you the liners were on then! The strut mountings themselves are clean no rot, but this section is all flaking will hammerite fix, or at least stop this? What's my best option?

Last edited by JoeyBoyden; 26-07-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 24-08-2014, 11:25 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Little update as I have been gathering parts. Yesterday was my birthday and after a long hunt for some Mondeo alloys, I found a set on eBay for 40quid. Watched them for 3 days and someone outbid me in the last 10 seconds just as I thought I had won them but luckily another set in black came up on Facebook so very happy. Wheels look good, need two new front tires and balancing I think as there is some vibration above 70 that seems to dissipate again around 80 ish. Balancing seems to be the common answer, some have said that the vibration can be caused by buckled alloys? but to me they look okay, regardless I will be changing tires and balancing first thing Tuesday when they open again hopefully that fixes it. Another thing I have done is change the LED's on the speedo blue, pics don't do them any justice but they are really bright! Pics are a bit fuzzy because of poor lighting...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
If you go on the photobucket you can see the four alloys. They don't look buckled so just hope balancing sorts it as the car wasn't vibrating with the other alloys on. These have been sat for a while aswell so that may have thrown it, plus they are slightly bald on the inside front tires which can cause vibration??

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 25-08-2014, 11:02 AM
sridgett
The only way is dagenham

Received 57 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks cool mate.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:47 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Been very unactive, got quite a few bits done. Got the car lowered 40mm and seems to handle much better despite it breaking your back if you hit a bump at more than 30 haha. Got a few pictures, also since these pictures I have smoked the rear lights at long last and I love them. Only thing is my car is in desperate need of a paint job on the rear quarters and ZS kit, In the pictures it looks okay but in person they are a little patchy. Looking at puma engines and really fancy a set of puma millennium Recaros if anyone has any? Also plan to get some spacers for the rear wheels soon, which ones will be okay on 195/45/16 wheels? I would like some ZS wheels instead of these ideally so if anyone up for a swap. Anyway here's some pics.

Other plans are smoked repeaters, smaller steering wheel and then engine change eventually if I don't sell it for ZS....Sometimes I feel whether it's worth spending so much money on it to get it painted etc...
Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Its looking well matey. Good luck finding a good pair of puma recaros. All the ones ive seen have rips in them. Do what I did and fit a pair of bucket seats. All I did was bought a complete interior for my puma and I cut the seat mounts off. Then I got some length of steel strips from B&Q then bolt the bucket seats to the steel strips.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Cool car man, what the foooook you using to take the pictures?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Haha yeah, those seats are really rare. A set popped up on Facebook yesterday but as you said glenn, the bolsters were all torn. I am looking at some old RS turbo/XR2 seats but I'm not sure what everyone means with the runners/top hats so some buckets might be the best way to go considering they go real cheap on eBay. And I'm using an iPhone richie haha are the pics that bad haha?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Got the smoked lights pictures here aswell. Really love the way they look, also anyone know much about this Plasti Dip? Getting mixed responses under a google search, I would really like to get it dipped in the royal purple colour Ford did. Only seen one purple fiesta of this generation in the flesh. I got a quote for £300 quid for the whole car, seems to be too good to be true?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:45 AM
bagginsRSturbo

Looks good, plastic dip is a good idea I thought about it myself ,the quote of £300 is good as plastidip isn't that expensive,quite easy to do yourself (so iv read) lol
Old 14-11-2014, 06:04 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Looks good, plastic dip is a good idea I thought about it myself ,the quote of £300 is good as plastidip isn't that expensive,quite easy to do yourself (so iv read) lol
Yeah it looks good, might be worth looking into more for around christmas time. I would actually go for it If I can't get my quarters and bodykit painted for the same sort of price and If I could get a view for what It may look like
Old 15-11-2014, 10:12 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Got a quote for the paint thats needed, £80 from a fella my stepdad knows so getting it booked in within the next two weeks I think! Pictures will follow, also, anybody know what I need to fit some old recaros to my fiesta? Mk3.5/4/5 subframes and 3.5 runners? I hear the earlier recaros are more difficult to fit onto the sub frame than the later Rs Turbo's and XR2/3s?
Old 20-11-2014, 09:32 AM
disco-stu
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just 3.5 frames/runners
Old 24-11-2014, 09:15 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by disco-stu
Just 3.5 frames/runners
Cheers, I read somewhere though that the older ones have different bolt patterns on the seats? Any idea when the cut off point was for this if it's true?
Old 24-11-2014, 10:22 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Got a quote for the paint thats needed, £80 from a fella my stepdad knows so getting it booked in within the next two weeks I think!

Is his name Mick?
Old 24-11-2014, 10:24 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by slammedorion
Is his name Mick?
Yes haha a bloke in crewe!
Old 25-11-2014, 02:51 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There's only one person who'll paint that cheap in Crewe...
Old 25-11-2014, 05:26 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by slammedorion
There's only one person who'll paint that cheap in Crewe...
Yeah he's done my stepdads bonnet, looks brand new
Old 25-11-2014, 07:16 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can't moan for the money...
Old 29-11-2014, 02:50 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Had the car back now, couple of imperfections but for 80quid not too bad, far better than it was before anyway haha
Old 30-11-2014, 12:31 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Got some pics here of the new seats, trying to get some 3.5 runners and the paint work, much better but as I said fer imperfections and you can see the rear quarters don't quite have the shine still of the doors etc. Fitted my clear side repeaters too.

Old 30-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Nice recaros.
Old 30-11-2014, 04:32 PM
bagginsRSturbo

Do you need the rrunners or just the top hats??
Old 30-11-2014, 04:39 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Do you need the rrunners or just the top hats??
Both mate...

Quick Reply: Fiesta MK5 project