Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Project UNDERDOG St170 Track Car

Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Project UNDERDOG St170 Track Car

hi all. just thought id start my own thread on my st170 that i will slowly be turning into a track car. its really a budget build so most parts will be sourced second hand. lack of funds dictate.

so i picked this up a few wks back a silver 53 plate with 109k on clock. say hello to the "underdog" lol

ive already bought some parts and done some work which il post pics of later so thanks for looking in.

Last edited by The Underdog; 19-05-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Adam31
Waiting on my fast ford..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice, one of these will be my next track car. Hope it goes well.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:39 PM
jay.woody
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

What's your plans for it, I'm thinking about tracking mine next year
Old 01-12-2012, 05:37 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Default Project UNDERDOG track car ST170

thanks both. iv got simple plans as money is tight but it will be stripped out, coilovers, polybushes. uprated discs pads, air filter, exhaust.. vernier on exhaust cam. possible cage if i can find one used or may make one.

iv already cut off old exhaust

picked up a used powerflow longlife for Ł65 of the bay.

it was tight on the left side so melted bumper so adjusted it today but need to tidy up bumper cut out now.

picked these up from ebay a few wks back

no plans to fit them until i can afford polybushes. but will be soonish.

Last edited by The Underdog; 19-05-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

car came with a k an n panel but il be whipping induction kit of my other focus soon. i know they not rated best but i like the noise.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Its got the soggy passenger floor problem so tried repairing the pollen filter seal.
this is how it looked

black silicone all over didnt look nice and didnt work

cut this old silicone off and left with this

cut it back to the glass after this pic so no sealant was left.
i tried re sealing it with clear silicone but it didnt stick so im going to have to try and find out how to seal it properly.

any ideas or help would be appreciated please? stupid ford design to be honest.

Last edited by The Underdog; 02-12-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:33 AM
atm
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah just buy the foam seal that ford use lol. Its supposed to be replaced on every service anyway, Fits underneath, Only a couple of Ł!

At worst you'll have to replace the cover if its been warped or cracked, but would only cost buttons from a scrappers or ebay, not that much new from ford either.

Last edited by atm; 03-12-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

funny as my silver I sold on a few months back is turning that into a track car, guys that bought it are going the whole hog, hes a regular at castle combe and just across the severn in bristol so keep a lookout on track
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

thanks ATM i think i need a proper seal.

1pd i will be doing castle coombe next year so you never know.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

just thought id pop link up of my track day at llandow in sept. this was in my blue one though and is bog standard exept for 57i

Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

my budget acellera tyres were not in the best shape after a few runs. the grip was poor to be honest but still had lots of fun on track.

some pics

Last edited by The Underdog; 04-12-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

lucky you did not get stopped if driving home on them as points and huge fine if caught
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

first time at llandow and its very hard on front lefts. they were in good shape before i went on.

Last edited by The Underdog; 04-12-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:59 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will look forward to updates on this. I have the bc racing coilovers on my st170 and they have served me well on track so far. You do have to modify the turret tops on the fronts to allow access to the adjustable top mounts as you cannot adjust them without trimming. Design flaw IMO but they handle well.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by ajc.78
Will look forward to updates on this. I have the bc racing coilovers on my st170 and they have served me well on track so far. You do have to modify the turret tops on the fronts to allow access to the adjustable top mounts as you cannot adjust them without trimming. Design flaw IMO but they handle well.
thanks aj.ive got a couple of questions if you got time please.
how much did you lower yours by?. im thinking of 30-35mm.
how did you modify your turrets did you put slots in them. thats what im thinking.

im planning on a full tidy up and paint underneath when i change the bushes.may start it in the hols. im not planning on concours clean but hoping for very clean.

itching to get started. just need time and money, oh and dry weather as i aint got a comfy garage
Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

mine is down around 65mm over standard which is as low as it will go without causing real problems although it scrapes if it goes over curbs or humps to fast the front lower strut brace and rear sway bar also ride low with the ride height

some pics of ride height if you are interested currently sitting on road tyres

Name:  DSCF0799.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  171.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0797.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  161.4 KB

Name:  DSCF0795.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  DSCF0770.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  192.6 KB

Name:  DSCF0769.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  211.6 KB

quick spec from the list I did when I was trying to sell it in case it gives you some ideas as most of the parts fitted were down to people giving me advice and help

BC racing coilovers with adjustable top mounts can be cornerweighted and adjusted for camber

Coilovers set up for optimal handling at Jamsport

Dampers can be adusted on the car with top adjusters front and rear

Rear upper Jamsport strut brace bolted into rear wings

Rear lower whiteline adjustable sway bar

Front eibach arb

Omp front lower strut brace

E-tech front upper strut brace

Eibach rear camber bolts

Magnex 4" catback stainless exhaust

Miltek decat pipe (mapped to run without EML coming on)

Alternative scorpion sports cat (for MOT)

Exhaust is loud and pops and bangs not suitable for anyone who wants a quiet car noise tested at 102DB at last test

Dreamscience stratagem handset

Currently mapped on RACE95CAIS map which allows you to run a decat without putting EML light on

Can be run on RACE97CAIS which adds to the power for track use but does not help MPG

K & N typhoon induction kit with heatshield

exhaust cam retimed for acceleration

Scangauge hardwired with OBD splitter cable to allow use of 2 OBD devices

Goodridge braided hoses front and rear

Front black diamond combi drilled and grooved discs

Front ferodo racing ds2500 pads

Motul race fluid

Cobra monaco pro drivers and passenger front seats (in FIA date)

Cobra evo (trs) 5 point FIA spec 4" harnesses for driver and passenger (in FIA date)

OMP wrc steering wheel

OMEX rev limiter with launch control with cowling mounted button

pro race 1.2s with r888's and oz superturismos with v7oa's

probably more that I can't remember

st170s get a lot of criticism as they are fairly slow and not particulary impressive but I have had a great deal of fun in mine and the reliability has never let me down on track

rear mounts (adjustable on the car)

Name:  DSCF0779.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  198.5 KB

front mounts

Name:  230_1006.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  80.1 KB

you can see where the turret has been trimed slightly to allow the adjustable top mount to be accessable. They can just bolt straight on but if you don't trim the turret you cannot adjust the camber once they are on the car hence the design flaw

I did initially have some concerns about the trimming but it was all set up by Jamsport who I trust and it handles spot on when cornering hard.

If I still have it next year it will be getting a full cage fitted as I have been taking it very easy on the track without one.

al
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

This is wat I love about llandow.

Fun little track.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

thanks aj my next question was gona be have you got some pics so you read my mind. have you had a rolling road to see what BHP your getting? im planning on vernier in time but what do you think of it? notice the difference? and are you running it -6 degrees?

sorry lots of questions.i may be pestering you in future as i have lots of Qs.
nice spec you have though.

nev i can see you enjoyed cocking a wheel at llandow, lol. first time for me there even though i live very close. always put off by it because its a small track and didnt think it would be that good but i was wrong, i had great fun there.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

not had it on a rolling road although I imagine it is probably just over the claimed standard power as the recorded 0 - 60 is just under the manufacturer claimed time. The car handles far better than it goes.

the only mod which actually gave me a real noticable difference was the remap which made it pull a fair bit harder.

from what I have read the exhaust cam vernier does not actually add power in itself it simply means that you can advance or retard the timing by adjusting the pulley on the car without taking the cambelt off. from what I have read most people who fit the aftermarket vernier simply retard the timing when fitting it and then never adjust it again. I had the timing retarded by 8 degrees with the standard pulley which gives the same benifit without buying the aftermarket one. Although a piper or kent one is cheap I don't think they are worth buying TBH.

the best modification I did to mine was the bucket seats and harnesses and grippy steering wheel

Name:  DSCF0791.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  199.7 KB

Name:  DSCF0786.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  185.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0750.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  160.6 KB

Name:  DSCF0672.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  208.2 KB

Name:  DSCF0637.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  153.2 KB

I went round silverstone driving a standard st170 and the seats were rubbish for suport in the corners. The bucket seats and harnesses give you far more confidence in the corners and you are supported and don't slide around. I have also had a few spins in it and have always stayed secure in the seats although it will be getting a cage before going back out on the bigger tracks.

if I can help out with any other queries would be happy to although most of the knowledge I have has come from advice from others who have helped me out.

I have been to Llandow a few times and really enjoyed it.

the pics of the white car look great and have enjoyed reading the build thread on it.

al
Old 06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
0150carmac
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking like a good project you got there i be watching as im really wanting to buld a track day focus
Old 06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Can't wait for next years track days, will be good to see a few more focus out, there are a underrated, you get them set up well and there as good as you can get in a fwd set up.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Very cool project.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

yeh aj i agree about seats. i want some buckets in time but wont be straight away. at turn 1 of llandow by the tower i was sliding onto the drivers door a few times and it aint a good feeling.
my plan is to get a harness first using standard seat for a while and hope this will hold me in better. aj was you at llandow the same day as me on 29 sept. your car seems familiar?? really appreciate any advice or tips so keep them coming. your setup is what im aiming for long term. id love nevs car as that thing looks awesome specced but my wife has got me in a headlock with my spending already lol

nev the focus is an awesome handling car in my opinion. my brother has had a clio 182 and 172 cup and now has the civic type r in the vid i linked and he thinks the st170 is better handling than all of them. definately underated cars.

thanks to all who have posted and feel free to give me any advice you can. cheers
Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Funny watching you chase the civic, you can under brake him and out corner, but just to close on the straits, good watch.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by nevsrevs
Funny watching you chase the civic, you can under brake him and out corner, but just to close on the straits, good watch.
both of our brakes were ruined by this race, lol. we had boiled fluid and glazed the pads. pedal was near the floor for me by the tower. at one point by the tower if his brakes were sharper i would have hit him in the bum because i had practically nothing.

we were both on the same make of budget tyres too. next time im gona be better prepared

Last edited by The Underdog; 07-12-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

im after some advice about what to do to clean up underside please?
i dont want to strip back to bare metal has i havent got the patience or facilitys but want it looking as good as it can be.
all the suspension is being stripped of to replace bushes and luckily my mate has his own powdercoating machine and sand blaster so all the black parts are getting some real love.
as for chassis i would like to just treat rusted areas then aerosol silver over the whole bottom but searched and dont know whats the best way to do this and what to use.

iv searched loads of old threads and most say strip to bare metal but surely theres an easier way i can paint over 90% of whats already there?

heres some pics i quickly took in the dark with a torch so not the best.

Last edited by The Underdog; 07-12-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

If you really don't want to strip back, then I would acid etch then paint over, but you know it will come back pretty quick.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by nevsrevs
If you really don't want to strip back, then I would acid etch then paint over, but you know it will come back pretty quick.
i am planning on stripping back the rusted areas but i just dont want to strip the whole underside when its in good shape as it is. i looked at por15 for putting over rusted areas when i clean them back but would this acid etch key the rust free parts so i can spray over it all and it not peel off?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:31 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

done as much research on por15 as i can find so now my plan is to grind/wire wheel on drill all the rust areas then clean with marine wash. then prep and ready (metal ready) on the rust.
non rusted areas will be wire brushed or sanded to key then marine washed then the whole underside will get silver por15 paint.
the black suspension bits may get done candy red powdercoat which my mate suggested and i kinda like the idea.

hope to crack on in next few wks.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

Originally Posted by Underdog ST170
aj was you at llandow the same day as me on 29 sept. your car seems familiar??
yeah mate went a few times earlier in the year that was the last one we went to. It is a bit of a trek from birmingham but worth it. It was a good day out. will probably come up a few times next year as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

day off work so made a start by stripping off rear subframe, rear bumper and arch liners. just took a load of pics so will pop them all up.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Greasenuts
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Looks to me like you've got away lightly with the state of the floor! I got a real scare when I pulled my rear wing liners out! Still, nothing an hour with a wire wheel in a hand drill couldn't sort

Keep up the good work
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by Greasenuts
Looks to me like you've got away lightly with the state of the floor! I got a real scare when I pulled my rear wing liners out! Still, nothing an hour with a wire wheel in a hand drill couldn't sort

Keep up the good work
thanks m8

im sure i read a post from you a little while back about when you removed liners, and that got me a little scared about what i would find on mine.
luckily its sound as a pound. some surface rust areas but arch lips are solid with no rust at all. underneath also is very good for a 9 yr old ford.

many moons ago i bought a saph cosworth and that was 9 yr old at the time and in comparison to this it was dog ruff and needed chassis welding.

got por15 , marine wash and metal prep on order so after that goes on it should be ok.

my mate has ordered me some marine blue powder coat that he will be doing on subframe and suspension parts too.

think im gona peee myself
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Seen alot worse mate, they always pickle on the rear shock tower, soon be gleaming.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

having a struggle getting the suspension parts off the sub. broke 3 wrenches even with the blow torch on them.
Old 13-12-2012, 08:18 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Special delivery

Old 13-12-2012, 08:24 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by ajc.78
yeah mate went a few times earlier in the year that was the last one we went to. It is a bit of a trek from birmingham but worth it. It was a good day out. will probably come up a few times next year as well.

yeh weather was great that day too and some nice cars on track. maybe see you at llandow next year again then. hope to do pembrey and castle coombe too.
Old 13-12-2012, 10:35 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Yea those bolts can be buggers, angle grinder and oxy
Old 14-12-2012, 08:50 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

had a mare trying to split all the parts off the subframe. ended up doing this to most of the bolts.

even on some of the bolts i could bet undone the shaft was seized to bush so still had to cut them and both sides of each bolt to get the arms out.

i was able to push bush out of these arms but if you look at the next 2 pics are the outer metal parts of the bush still stuck in or is this a part of the arm???
iv not got my new poly ones yet so not sure whats what?

also as i bought the coils used of the bay i was wondering if i got the right rear springs when i took old springs off. the size diff is huge?

thanks for loooooking

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project UNDERDOG St170 Track Car