Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Project UNDERDOG St170 Track Car

Old 26-12-2012, 01:39 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog ST170
just went to bc website which i should have done first and they are 392lb front and rear

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/c-bce07/f...cus-mki-98-04/
That's odd have same poundage front and rear, seems good front rate but alittle low for rears, is your car going to be track only?
Old 26-12-2012, 02:02 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by nevsrevs
That's odd have same poundage front and rear, seems good front rate but alittle low for rears, is your car going to be track only?
it will stay road legal to drive to tracks as i got no trailer.

they are not full race set so probably made more for road use than outright track use. il be running the rear bump and rebound much firmer on rear compared to front when on track. picked em up for 265 so i cant complain really as that seems a bargain to me.
Old 26-12-2012, 02:42 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

No for that price you can't turn it down, might be worth giving them a bell and see if they can send you some higher rated springs for you to play with as they are peanuts for them to produce.
Old 27-12-2012, 02:18 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

something i can think about for the future nev. see how it goes.

i got some dry time today and was able to get some work done.

washed the rear end

so then made a start on the drivers rear arch drill brushing the surface rust off and give it a clean up with marine clean the por15 rust prep and ready.

then i got a coat of por15 silver over the treated areas only.

ill be giving the whole lot a top coat of hamerite silver soon.

so that all for today.

thanks for looking
Old 27-12-2012, 02:24 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Good job, like the look of this marine wash.
Old 27-12-2012, 02:37 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Good job, like the look of this marine wash.
i only used the marine wash on the arch so far after i stripped rust off. il be marine washing the whole underside in stages as i strip the rust. just soapy water so far on most of it.

marine clean is scary stuff though. theres a warning on it that it contains a chemical known to cause cancer and birth defects. wouldnt have bought it had i known that first. so i glove and mask up when im using it. if it didnt cost me nearly 20 bucks id bin it.
Old 28-12-2012, 10:20 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

im looking for some opinions please. i dont know whether to spray over the suspension parts in black rather than silver???

i like the silver but the whole underside will be getting topcoated silver also so will it look too much.
most people think im crazy for painting it all up like this anyway and maybe i am seeing as its a track car but iv always appreciated a clean bottom so this is my first chance to have a go.

decisions decisions.

its raining all the time so i cant get any work done so i got a lot of time to think.........
Old 28-12-2012, 10:38 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Black mate
Old 29-12-2012, 09:43 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

what about dark grey?
Old 29-12-2012, 04:37 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

got some hammerite black to go over them today. last can in the shop too.

wish i hadnt bothered when this happened.

i wet and dry sanded first then tack clothed so i dont think its the prep. it seemed as if there was not enough colour in the can. i shook for more than 3 mins but it was mostly clear and the black is just bronzy. taking can back tomo but not happy with it.
Old 29-12-2012, 05:20 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Bit odd? Is it smooth or hammered finish?
Old 29-12-2012, 05:27 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

smoothe. there was some paint on the nozzle when i had it but assumed someone had squirted it in the shop but i think it had been returned as its a crap can and they stuck it back on shelf.

never mind il get it sorted.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

finished the rear section of the underside today and pretty happy with the results.

pics of the rust being stripped back. any slight bubble under paint and obvious rust was attacked and treated.

lots of work went into getting this far being stuck on my back on the floor but i think its worth it now.
so the por 3 stage proccess to cure rust permenatly as they claim is marine wash followed by prep n ready then por15 paint. so i lashed loads of por 15 over this lot then while tacky i topcoated everything with hammerite silver.

just got to keep the motivation up to carry on but to be honest ill be glad when its all finished underneath.

thanks for looking
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Looks good mate, you just got to keep plodding on with it.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

thanks nev il keep plodding but looking forward to finishing the paint. im not the best with patience but im trying my best lol
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking good mate

Brian
Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by Brian
Looking good mate

Brian

thanks brian. appreciate your reply
Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM
rs turbo j
virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good mate. I wish I done mine the same colour as the body and not black look 100% better colour coaded
Old 06-01-2013, 05:13 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by rs turbo j
Looks good mate. I wish I done mine the same colour as the body and not black look 100% better colour coaded

thanks. i prefer same colours underneath. black still looks very nice tho. the topcoat is just hammerite silver over por15 silver. so not identical match but close.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Andy Tucker
Welsh And Proud

great work mate.wish i still had my focus now.

keep up the great work.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:25 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by Andy Tucker
great work mate.wish i still had my focus now.

keep up the great work.

thanks andy. love your tyson sig too lol
Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Andy Tucker
Welsh And Proud

Cheers mate.had to use it or he said he would bite my ears off lol
Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

could anyone tell me if the rear spring adjustable cups need some sort of fixing to the swing arm please??

iv seen a couple of pics of of focus underside and theres definately something fixed where the spring cup sits. il try and dig out some pics later but in latest fast ford theres a blue st3 with these fixing on if anyone has the mag.

my second hand kit hasnt included anything like this and thats why im concerned.

thanks in advance
Old 10-01-2013, 02:37 PM
White focus
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by jonfoc
Nice project pal. I'm building a focus RS track car too. I've just replaced my rear tie bars with adjustable ones. Total cost was 70 quid. When you think about it it's just as cheap as replacing the bushes, blasting, powder coating etc.
have you a link to the tie arms m8 as sound like it would be a grate help to afew people reading this .
Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

could anyone tell me if the rear spring adjustable cups need some sort of fixing to the swing arm please??

iv seen a couple of pics of of focus underside and theres definately something fixed where the spring cup sits. il try and dig out some pics later but in latest fast ford theres a blue st3 with these fixing on if anyone has the mag.

my second hand kit hasnt included anything like this and thats why im concerned.

thanks in advance

anyone???? i tried finding online pics but could not so hoping you understand what i mean if not let me know and il try harder next time lol

nev, ajc.98 where are you focus boys. lol
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Straight_4_N/a
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

anyone???? i tried finding online pics but could not so hoping you understand what i mean if not let me know and il try harder next time lol

nev, ajc.98 where are you focus boys. lol
Im not sure as i ran fixed setup on my old focus but ill ask ajc for you, I must say your nuts! i looked at you tyres at llandow thay was worse than mine lol (i was in the fiesta). (if you wondering who esle was there thats on here the other bloke that was in the other grey st170 focus with the cage is on here to lol, which hes running a few of my old parts the cage custom exhaust system ect)

Looking good but on the rear id bin the stock control blades for abjustable ones, also looking at some of your old post for strut braces get the front lower one makes a big diffrence.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not too sure tbh sorry mate

al
Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

We have just drilled holes x2 and used cable ties mate,
Are your ajustable platforms top or bottom?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by Straight_4_N/a
Im not sure as i ran fixed setup on my old focus but ill ask ajc for you, I must say your nuts! i looked at you tyres at llandow thay was worse than mine lol (i was in the fiesta). (if you wondering who esle was there thats on here the other bloke that was in the other grey st170 focus with the cage is on here to lol, which hes running a few of my old parts the cage custom exhaust system ect)

Looking good but on the rear id bin the stock control blades for abjustable ones, also looking at some of your old post for strut braces get the front lower one makes a big diffrence.
If in doubt flat out luke lol. i gave the tyres no mercy. the other focus was parked next to us. nice guy and it was seeing his track 170 that made me go out and buy another one for track use.

Originally Posted by ajc.78
not too sure tbh sorry mate

al
cheers anyway al. if you could add a pick in your own thread or here of your rear springs i would very much appreciate it. no rush though.

We have just drilled holes x2 and used cable ties mate,
Are your ajustable platforms top or bottom?

good question i just assumed bottom?? hopefully al can clear it up if he gets chance with a pic.

cheers both your always a great help

ive got some more updates to pop up later when i upload pics. yay
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Just been to the garage for you, ours are at the top with a bolt going through adjuster and sub frame, big m12 Allen bolt me thinks.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

cheers nev. yours look a slightly different set up to mine. mine has a cup that sits over the track arm seat bulge or sub frame bulge which ever way it goes.

my concern is the springs are so small in height the adjustable platform could pop out on full extension. it may never do this though as i dont know till i set it up. plus side is the shocks are height adjustable too so may be ok. only problem buying second hand is you never know if you missing something.
this is the cuppy base thingys

Last edited by The Underdog; 11-01-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks the same as mine which I had new. I am not very technologically minded so might not explain it very well but I seem to remember being told something about the same issue and IIRC was told that there was no way they could come out whilst the weight of the car was on the ground

al
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

ok some updates.

first i got some deliverys

flo flex bushes

eibach rear camber bolts

bit dissapointed with flo flex as their full kit doesnt include and neither do they make these bushes.

rear trailing arm front bush

poweflex dont appear to make them either but superflex do at 84 a pair. ouch.
but with superflex you need to retain your original outer ring of the bush but mine look like this

so no go on that so for now ive ordered a stock pair of bushes. at 15 a pair il give them a go.

so anyway cracked on with painting and cleaned and painted tank straps silver and arb red

looks orange in pic tho.

on the car i managed to clen up and paint up to the front jacking points so not much left to finish. i didnt strip off the fuel pipe and brake lines so they are silver too. tunnel was in great condition so a simple keying and painted.only areas in need of wire brushing was some of the spot welds. these seem the weak point of the whole car to be honest and most rusty spots start around them.

so after a few days work it looks like this

im so pleased to get it to this stage i cant tell you. dont fancy painting another underside in a hurry.

just need to order some rear suspension bolts from ford then the rear can be put back on. then the front will start.

thanks for looking as always

steve
Old 11-01-2013, 06:01 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by ajc.78
that looks the same as mine which I had new. I am not very technologically minded so might not explain it very well but I seem to remember being told something about the same issue and IIRC was told that there was no way they could come out whilst the weight of the car was on the ground

al

thanks mate. i think i going to make a fixing for them.simple bolt with 2 very large washers should do the trick.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Have a look at wat we done with the trailing arm bush, it pretty easy to make a new bush sleeve with a bit of stainless tube.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:06 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Have a look at wat we done with the trailing arm bush, it pretty easy to make a new bush sleeve with a bit of stainless tube.
thanks nev. iv already ordered a stock pair of bushes now so i think they come with sleeve so if i upgrade later il use the new one
Old 12-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Straight_4_N/a

If in doubt flat out luke lol. i gave the tyres no mercy. the other focus was parked next to us. nice guy and it was seeing his track 170 that made me go out and buy another one for track use.

Yeah hes a nice guy and he doesnt fuck about theres lots of people say thay will do this that and the other but when he says it he does it, I really didnt think when he said he was going to buy a shit load off my car but fair play he came ready with a jumbo transit lol.
How do you rember whats on the back on my car and my name :/ i didnt but i think the blow out slowed me down abit which i can thank to ajc's brother lol then again the metal only toke out my tyre it nearly toke out the rx8's driver lol.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by Straight_4_N/a
Yeah hes a nice guy and he doesnt fuck about theres lots of people say thay will do this that and the other but when he says it he does it, I really didnt think when he said he was going to buy a shit load off my car but fair play he came ready with a jumbo transit lol.
How do you rember whats on the back on my car and my name :/ i didnt but i think the blow out slowed me down abit which i can thank to ajc's brother lol then again the metal only toke out my tyre it nearly toke out the rx8's driver lol.
lol. we talked on youtube remember? and your youtube account is your name.

the if in doubt flat out was a random comment but i assume you have it stickered on your car then?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Straight_4_N/a

lol. we talked on youtube remember? and your youtube account is your name.

the if in doubt flat out was a random comment but i assume you have it stickered on your car then?
Can't remember lol, lol.

Oh ok lol, Yeah ive got a few rally stickers on there wrgb if in doubt ect as i do some road rallys and gymkhanans (only did two last year as i was skint buy new baby stuff lol)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Sportyka

Cars looking good mate, thats my old ST good to see its in good hands and becoming what I would have liked it to be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project UNDERDOG St170 Track Car