Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Rs TURBO..PLEASE HELP ME!

Old 17-01-2012, 04:06 PM
fatty
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rs TURBO..PLEASE HELP ME!

Hi,

ive got my C plate Series one back together and it it running this week (bably but it ran)

Now it wont start.
It turns over ok. The Fuel relay whirs and im getting fuel upto the Metering Head . The plus are in and on the right places i have noticed the following thats odd...

1. When i crack the cold start union on the M.H fuel comes out, thats ok, but im not getting any when i crack the injector banjos..surely it should come out if its pressureised ?

secondly, and more conerning, when i put my headlights on dip deam ( they work ok ) and then move the stalk back down to side lights the fuel pump whirs again >???? im guessing a wiring issue, im looking through the book madly to see whats up , its very frustrating because it was running!

Please help if you can guys, any thoughts would be appreciated.. regards Pet
Old 17-01-2012, 05:48 PM
lockie
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all boost/intercooler hoses ok ok?????
does the yellow relay on bulkhead (inbetween ecu's) click on pos 2 on ignition??
is it sparking?????

fireing order 1 3 4 2 & in starting correct??

anyother daft one is............. has it got fuel in it?
Old 17-01-2012, 06:23 PM
fatty
Regular Contributor

hi thanks,

yes theres a click from the yellow relay

theres a spark ( on number one at least )

the leads are on correct on the dizzy - anitclockwise 1 3 4 2

boost hoses should be fine as it was literally runnung yesterday but ill have a grovel tmre.

there is a gallon in the tank but ill top that up aswell tmrw to be safe, im stumped and gutted.

sould there be fuel coming out of the injector pipe holes on the m.unit on cranking? ive got nothing...also the headlights activating the fuel pump is odd..only just started doing it..only seems to be the drivers side light that does it... getting really pissed of now because it must be something ive done since the other day when it was running...

p.s im working alone with a broken right hand in a cast lol..so its hard to test some things! lol

Last edited by fatty; 17-01-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 17-01-2012, 06:29 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like a bad earth to me
Old 17-01-2012, 06:29 PM
lockie
Regular Contributor

should be abit of fuel pressure at metering unit so maybe its low on fuel???
ide check boost hoses & all breather pipes are on as needs to be a sealed system to work/run

u can remove airfilter & push metering unit flap down to see of any resistance on flap?

wireing will be a bad earth (all wires on battery?) earths in bay ok?
Old 17-01-2012, 06:40 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the pressure doesnt get past the meterhead but is getting to it its the meterhead, try to start it with the flap held down a little

or turn it over plenty
crack off the injector unions and thenwhen its cracked loose push down the flap

you will find it then comes out and shows its the meterhead

its not always dead it could just need working and something spraying inside to lube up the lever and rollers

i used to buy alot of laid of rst's and they would usually need a start with the flap down to go for it but should be fine after, if you look at the mechanicals you will see why they go shit it will be all crusty and shite, you can split the 2 parts or just wd into it and work the flap about to get it better
Old 17-01-2012, 07:01 PM
fatty
Regular Contributor

thanks for the suggestions..

yes possibly and earth issue , but they havent been touched since it was running but ill check.. and hidden ones ? im thinking battery, inner wing by battery , two either side of radiator and gearbox one?

seems its a common problem, ive been hunting on the net and theresno difinitive answer ..may be and air lock ??

there is some resistance on the plate but not as much was when it was running the other day, pushing the plate doesnt make any difference.. fuel pressure ? are there non return valves at the base of each injector pipe hole ?

thanks again
Old 17-01-2012, 07:17 PM
fatty
Regular Contributor

update, just taken the line into the filter off and cranked it a few times and fuel is coming out but it seems a bit spluttery and not very pressurised ..ill check the voltage to the pump tmrw and the line etc.
Old 17-01-2012, 09:08 PM
lockie
Regular Contributor

ide try putting somemore fuel in it aswell

Search this Thread