Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Dutch Sierra Cosworth 4x4 - home made power measurement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

I do like a decent caliper conversion using other manufacturers brakes as they are always cheaper...I have often thought that the Range Rover supercharged calipers would be goo on a car with big wheels.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:58 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
I do like a decent caliper conversion using other manufacturers brakes as they are always cheaper...I have often thought that the Range Rover supercharged calipers would be goo on a car with big wheels.
Nice upgrade.
Range Rover calipers have been done already. Dingla has them on his focos
Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I thought I had hear something was already running them.

My old E55 AMG had monster 6 or 8 pots iirc, it had massive discs too, I bet they would work well as they did on that near 200mph 1800 kg barge.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Marc sierra

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

I looked at quite a bit of calipers before deciding to use these. At first I wanted to use the 6 pot Porsche/VW 18Z calipers, but I wasn't sure if they would fit inside my 17" wheels as the 18Z means they are meant for 18" wheels. Porsche also has 17Z calipers that are meant for 17" wheels, but those calipers have bigger pistons that will not match well with the Cosworth master brake cylinder. I guess that could also be the same for the Range Rover calipers, but I can't find the piston size on those.

These Mercedes Brembo calipers have 44/40 mm pistons that match perfectly with the Cosworth. BMW E38 Brembo calipers also use these size pistons, but they only use a 316 mm disc which means the radius of the caliper wouldn't match well with a disc that is much bigger. The Mercedes caliper uses a 330 mm disc so that's less of an issue. With the Mercedes caliper the disc is also thicker (32 mm vs. 28 mm for the BMW E38) which gives better cooling. And I believe that if you have a huge caliper covering much of the disc you will have less cooling as well.

All in all there is quite a lot that influences how the brakes perform, but I hope these will work great as it is quite big upgrade over standard. At least the calipers were cheap (125 pounds ) and brake pads are also not that expensive. Other nice looking calipers are the 8 pots on an Audi RS4/RS6/R8, but I think they will be overkill on a light car as a Sierra.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 AM
DaveCrack
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great conversion! Looks like you definetly have put a lot of thought in this!
Old 24-03-2017, 07:05 AM
Marc sierra

The only downside of upgrading the front brakes is that the brake balance isn't as it should anymore. On this site you can determine what the front/rear brake balance is, depending on piston size, disc diameter, radial height of the brake pads and some other parameters:
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/bias-calculator/

I put in all the parameters for the standard setup, it then shows that originally 63.3% of the braking is down by the front.

With the 320 mm front brake discs I previously had the balance shifted to 70.8% at the front wheels.

With my new setup the balance shifts even further, to 75.8% at the front.

The result will be that at maximum brake pressure the rear wheels won't brake hard enough compared to the front and the car will even have a longer braking distance than originally. It will also make the front of the car dive more during braking and make the rear lift more. The braking force at the rear actually reduces the lift at the rear that is caused by the weight shift to the front when braking. So to get the best out of it something should also be done at the rear.

Last edited by Marc sierra; 27-07-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 24-03-2017, 08:34 AM
DaveCrack

As the shift to the front is not too big, have you tried some more agressive pads on the rear?
Old 24-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Marc sierra

At the front I have DS2500 pads, which have a friction coefficient of 0.42. I guess 0.50 is about the highest you can get, but that only brings it to 72.5% which isn't a big difference. Plus I'd rather have the same type of pads allround. That way they behave the same when they heat up. With a little heat in them the DS2500 pads brake harder than when cold. So I'd like to have DS2500 pads at the rear too.
Old 24-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Wouldn't a brake bias valve allow you to balance it?
Old 24-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Marc sierra

A brake bias valve can only reduce the brake pressure, but in my case the pressure at the rear is already too low in comparison. And I don't think you can use a brake bias valve at the front.
Old 31-03-2017, 06:38 AM
Marc sierra

To keep the stroke of the brake pedal equal and to not create a difference between front and because of this I didn't want to change the size of the rear brake piston much. There are some Brembo calipers available in a size that would be OK, but none of them have a handbrake designed into the caliper. Because of unsprung weight I don't like the idea of having two calipers, so I decided to just keep the standard calipers for the rear. Besides that the original calipers use brake pads with a low radial height, which means they are quite far to the outside edge of the brake disc which is good to increase the rear brake torque.

With the standard caliper there is a 300 and 325 mm disc option. I calculated what the brake balance would be with the 325 mm kit. It would bring it back to 67.9% on the front, which is not that far from the original 63.3%.

So I ordered a 325 mm rear brake kit from Reyland.

The difference between the 325 mm disc and standard disc is quite big.

Last edited by Marc sierra; 27-07-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 31-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Wow there massive.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Sierrasideways

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

Great read Marc. You know your stuff, good man.

Philip.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Marc sierra

Thanks mate!
Old 03-04-2017, 07:55 AM
Marc sierra

This weekend I spend some time fitting the new rear brakes. First I fitted the adapter bracket for the caliper to the bearing carrier.

After that the brake disc was fitted so I could test fit the caliper carrier.

Due to the bigger diameter of the disc the radius of the caliper carrier doesn't match with the disc. So I have done some filing on the carrier to make it fit.

Now it has about 1 mm clearance between the disc and the caliper carrier. The expansion coefficient of steel is 12 um/m.K, so if the disc with a radius of 162.5 mm warms up 500 degrees the radius increases with 0.975 mm. So 1 mm should be enough, but I can always increase the clearance a bit more if needed.

And after bleeding the brakes, because of the longer brake hose that was needed, the wheels could be fitted again.

Last edited by Marc sierra; 27-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:46 PM
rooos
PassionFord Regular

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

and that's quite an upgrade...
great job Marc !
keep us posted...
Old 03-04-2017, 02:52 PM
DaveCrack

Do you get any instructions with the rear brake kit?
I wonder why you need to file out the calipers as I am also looking into buying this kit. Thanks mate!

Will be interesting to see how the upgrade will perform!
Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Marc sierra

Unfortunately there were no instructions with the kit. How to fit it is straightforward, but not to file material away or how much. The 1 mm I did was my own estimate. It would be nice if instructions would say how much clearance is needed.
The following users liked this post:
Mark V8 (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

I didn't realise that the calipers needed modification !

Do you know if they need filing for the 300mm conversion ?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:38 AM
Marc sierra

I'm quite sure that they will also need to be filed down for the 300 mm conversion, though it will probably be less material to remove.

It is actually quite logical and can't be prevented when going to a larger radius disc with the same caliper. The brake pad needs to sit at the correct position, which means the outer edges of the caliper carrier will always be close to/catch the disc.

For the 308 and 330 mm kit for the front of the 4x4 Cosworth it says on the Reyland website:
Minor modification is required to the standard caliper carriers, leading and trailing edges need a small amount filing away (we will provide instuctions).

For the rear it is comparable, although there were no instructions.
Mark V8 (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 AM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks mate, looks like my brand new 4x4 calipers are going to need surgery
Old 21-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Marc sierra

Last Friday I did another trip to the Nurburgring together with 2 colleagues. The GP track was open from 9.00 to 20.00 and the weather was going to be reasonably good, so a good day for some nice driving. In Germany the Friday before Easter is a national holiday and apparently that is known as Car Friday at the Nurburgring, which meant it was really crowded. People were even sitting next to the road on folding chairs with BBQs, watching all the cars. With that huge amount of people I was worried the track would be very busy as well, but luckily that wasn't the case.

Since the video quality of my phone began to annoy me I decided to get a GoPro. The only downside is that Harry's Laptimer doesn't support the GoPro Hero Session 5 yet. So I also recorded everything with my phone to be sure and had the GoPro video everything separately. Unfortunately the GoPro made hunderds of photos instead of a video during the second and fourth session. Don't know how that happened. But I did manage to import the GoPro video from the first and third session to the Laptimer data. The difference in video quality is really big so next time I will make sure the GoPro is really recording.

The first session on the track I had to get used to it again, it's not really the same as driving on the motorway in the traffic jams.

During the second sessions around 8:50 I was overtaken by a biker who was a bit suicidal in my opinion. At the bend where I am doing about 100 mph he passed on the inside while I was just going towards the apex of the corner. Luckily I already saw him in my mirror, otherwise we've (or mostly him) would have had a big problem. The same biker had some problems with a black Lexus a bit later. At 9:13 he's riding next to the Lexus to point out the Lexus driver is an idiot. In that he was right though as the Lexus driver didn't pay attention to anyone around him. When I passed the Lexus on the straight (9:25) he passed me again just before the corner and then went straight into the gravel. I guess his brakes overheated. When I was still behind him there was big black cloud of brake dust coming from his front wheels each time he braked.

The third session I started just in front of my colleague in his Opel Speester (Vauxhall VX220). Until 4:50 he is behind but after that I let him pass as I was holding him up when braking and turning into the corners.

He also had a video of the same session where I am in front of him. On the straight I am pulling away but with braking turning into corners he is catching up again.

And a video of the last session of the day.

In the end none of my laps was faster than the fastest lap of last year. The brakes felt very good but the car was not very stabile when braking hard and turning into corners. According to the laptimer I did manage to reach 1.2g for a moment while braking from high speed, while before I never really went above 0.8g. I guess there is still some improvements to be made to the suspension to get a more positive feeling. I have the feeling the shocks are the biggest reason for my lack of trust while braking and turning in corners, they just need too much time to settle the car.
Old 24-05-2017, 05:39 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
I looked at quite a bit of calipers before deciding to use these. At first I wanted to use the 6 pot Porsche/VW 18Z calipers, but I wasn't sure if they would fit inside my 17" wheels as the 18Z means they are meant for 18" wheels. Porsche also has 17Z calipers that are meant for 17" wheels, but those calipers have bigger pistons that will not match well with the Cosworth master brake cylinder. I guess that could also be the same for the Range Rover calipers, but I can't find the piston size on those.

These Mercedes Brembo calipers have 44/40 mm pistons that match perfectly with the Cosworth. BMW E38 Brembo calipers also use these size pistons, but they only use a 316 mm disc which means the radius of the caliper wouldn't match well with a disc that is much bigger. The Mercedes caliper uses a 330 mm disc so that's less of an issue. With the Mercedes caliper the disc is also thicker (32 mm vs. 28 mm for the BMW E38) which gives better cooling. And I believe that if you have a huge caliper covering much of the disc you will have less cooling as well.

All in all there is quite a lot that influences how the brakes perform, but I hope these will work great as it is quite big upgrade over standard. At least the calipers were cheap (125 pounds ) and brake pads are also not that expensive. Other nice looking calipers are the 8 pots on an Audi RS4/RS6/R8, but I think they will be overkill on a light car as a Sierra.
Loving this thread as I have 324mm front discs with e38 brembo calipers and want to upgrade so i'm looking at following your lead, how much wre the front discs from reyland bud and how much for the brackets?

As for the RS3/RS4/R8/TTRS calipers my mate has a set on his sierra with 370mm discs BUT......... theses aint cheap and will not go under 17's!
Old 24-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Marc sierra

The discs were 295, the bells 220 and the bolts 36. The brackets didn't come from Reyland so I don't know how much those would be. But mine is a 4x4, so at least the bells on a 2wd would need to be different. I don't know if the brackets would fit though. I think on a standard Sierra they would fit, but I'm not sure on 2wd cosworth hubs.
doga-ot (24-05-2017)
Old 24-05-2017, 07:29 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

The discs were 295, the bells 220 and the bolts 36. The brackets didn't come from Reyland so I don't know how much those would be. But mine is a 4x4, so at least the bells on a 2wd would need to be different. I don't know if the brackets would fit though. I think on a standard Sierra they would fit, but I'm not sure on 2wd cosworth hubs.
Im running 2wd cossie hubs, I've found a set of those calipers for Ł80 any chance u can tell me the code on the caliper 6 digits with a single digit underneith. Are you going European Ford show bud if so I buy you drink.

Cheers bud
Old 24-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Marc sierra

I don't know code on the calipers, I would have to remove the calipers to check the back. I do know there is 330 written on the caliper lugs which refers to the disc size on the Mercedes. They also come in 345, but those simply have longer lugs. I think those longer lugs would touch the hubs, so better to use the 330 version.

If you mean the European Ford Event in Holland I will probably go if I can make it that day. Would be nice to meet you!
Old 24-05-2017, 07:46 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

I don't know code on the calipers, I would have to remove the calipers to check the back. I do know there is 330 written on the caliper lugs which refers to the disc size on the Mercedes. They also come in 345, but those simply have longer lugs. I think those longer lugs would touch the hubs, so better to use the 330 version.

If you mean the European Ford Event in Holland I will probably go if I can make it that day. Would be nice to meet you!
I mean the code on the wheel side (can be seen through wheel) in your pics i cannot make it out as pic is taken to far away when i zoom in its blurred, yes bud thats the show i will be driving over on the friday and going home monday morning.

Old 24-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Marc sierra

I will have a look for you tomorrow.
Old 24-05-2017, 08:04 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

I will have a look for you tomorrow.
Cheers bud im sure these are the right ones though 1998-2005 w220/S-class
Old 24-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Marc sierra

They are indeed from a W220 S-class, but you' have to check the disc size to see if they are the right ones. Mine came from an S500.
Old 24-05-2017, 08:45 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

They are indeed from a W220 S-class, but you' have to check the disc size to see if they are the right ones. Mine came from an S500.
the bloke doesnt have discs or know what size discs fit they are of S350 thats why i was going to go on the number on the caliper this one is;
20 70 45 03. 20 70 45 04.
6. 5.

he says they fit S500 but thats just his word

Last edited by doga-ot; 24-05-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 25-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Marc sierra

The number on the left hand caliper is 20.7046.03.3 and on the RH caliper 20.7046.04.4
doga-ot (25-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 12:28 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

The number on the left hand caliper is 20.7046.03.3 and on the RH caliper 20.7046.04.4
Legend got guy to check and he found a set on the shelf with those exact numbers and ......... there cheaper and in better consition not that condition matters as i'll send them to bigred to get overhauled anyway 👌🏻
Old 25-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Marc sierra

Nice! I hope they will fit your wheels.
doga-ot (25-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 01:17 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

Not bad for Ł65 posted, I'm not bothered about wheels worst case i have to change them!
Old 25-05-2017, 01:26 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

Final thing bud how much do you get the pads for? Thanks
Old 25-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Marc sierra

The DS2500 pads are the FCP1661H. I got them from Reyland for 158. He also used them to check what the swept area is to determine the required bell size for the rotors.
doga-ot (25-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 08:14 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

The DS2500 pads are the FCP1661H. I got them from Reyland for 158. He also used them to check what the swept area is to determine the required bell size for the rotors.
Thanks Marc your a legend
Old 30-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Marc sierra

After a long search I finally found the front anti roll bar of an Escort Cosworth in the UK. Shipping to the Netherlands was a bit expensive, but in the end I want to get the handling as good as possible so I had to have it.

29 mm thick instead of the 28 mm of the Sapph Cosworth 4x4.

Old 30-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Albertodelgado
Part of the Furniture

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

finally found it Marc good job A
Are you going to the eupopean ford event again upcoming September ?

Stephan

Quick Reply: Dutch Sierra Cosworth 4x4 - home made power measurement