Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Fiesta ST race car project

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 60 Likes on 59 Posts

Coming together nicely mate, not much to do now,

I like the door cards, seen them in carbon fiber for about £550 a pair, how much were they in fiber glass?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 AM
BlairM
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're about £200 a pair from M Sport. Team who is helping me build the car ordered 2 pairs up (1 for mine and 1 for another) but got 8 pairs in! So I'm sure if you can't get any I could point you in right direction.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks very nice mate

Brian
Old 11-04-2010, 08:59 PM
BlairM

Had a day off today after working on the car permanently from last Saturday to this Saturday. Back to work tomorrow and begging for a couple of days off later in the week to get the car ready for the first race next weekend!

Still to do is fit the race suspension, front panel, bumpers, bonnet pins, headlights and loads of other small jobs (these are the things that end up taking the most time).

The front panel was due to turn up during the week but never so we resorted last night to tie wrapping the radiator on just to allow us to have a quick run of the car. It was slightly smoky to start with but we believe this was due to the engine sitting around for a while and the exhaust sitting about for a while (2nd hand Milltek I've got). After a few runs the smoke is 99% away so we know the engine is OK. Had a few runs around the paddock in it and although not taking the car above 3000rpm or 40mph it feels as if there is plenty power in there.

The original clocks for my car show something like 22448 miles, the engine that went in it has done 17000, and even better the clutch has done 248 miles. We checked the clutch that was on it before fitting the engine and didn't like the look of it so it was much easier to fit another one now.

Anyway some pics..

The engine:
Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  114.9 KB

In the car:
Name:  DSCF7931.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  75.4 KB

Milltek exhaust:

The all important flexi pipe that allegedly adds 5bhp:
Name:  DSCF7964.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  67.5 KB

New heated windscreen and rear quarter glasses fitted:
Name:  DSCF7944.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  DSCF7943.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  63.2 KB

Boot pins:
Name:  DSCF7941.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  66.2 KB

Sabelt steering wheel and M Sport boss:

Stripped off brake discs, calipers etc. Cleaned up the carriers and fitted some new M Sport pads.

Name:  DSCF7933.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  DSCF7936.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  60.3 KB

Copper grease overload I know!

Name:  DSCF7948.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  72.2 KB

Another job was loosening up the track rod ends and copper greasing them so it's easier to do the tracking once the AST suspension is on it..

Going to fit a dash panel that will house the extinguisher activation switches, fire button and electrical master switch.

Cut the 3 dash bars out.
Name:  DSCF7966.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  53.8 KB

Alloy panel mid production!

Finished, awaiting switches being wired up and installed.

Name:  DSCF7972.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  77.2 KB

Centre console fitted:

Seat arrived on Friday, taken just after being unwrapped!

Name:  DSCF7974.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  64.6 KB

Fitted in position. What a job, making sure you have the right position, then drilling the holes, the manouvering your arm, hand and fingers to tighten them up.

Name:  DSCF7979.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  61.1 KB

Sabelt 6 point harness fitted:

Name:  DSCF7981.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  75.0 KB

Extinguisher bolted down to floor. Still to be plumbed and wired up.

Name:  DSCF7980.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  78.0 KB

Car last night from outside.

Name:  DSCF7983.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  56.3 KB
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 PM
RS_Rob
PassionFord Regular

looking epic,
where are you storing it? looks a very interesting backround!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:37 PM
erjones
PassionFord Regular

Looking good, guessing those pads are the Tarmac ones?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM
BlairM

Originally Posted by bridgend boy
looking epic,
where are you storing it? looks a very interesting backround!
Keep it at Knockhill. Makes it handy for racing!

Originally Posted by erjones
Looking good, guessing those pads are the Tarmac ones?
Couldn't say as I didn't order them, but I presume so!
Old 19-04-2010, 10:19 PM
BlairM

Had hoped to get far more pictures of the final parts of the build but it was pretty tough going, working on car till 11pm on Friday night for example making sure it was up to the minimum weight limit, and getting the camber and alignment all set up. The rush was because it was my first race at the weekend but more on that later.

Good news is the car is bang on the weight limit, but needed a little ballast to bring it up there, which actually surprised me for two reasons, one that the car had been repaired quite a bit as it was accident damaged, and secondly, I'm 90 odd kg, probably more than your average "racing driver".

Minimum weight limit is 1110kg according to the regulations by the way.

The last big modification to the car was fitting the AST race suspension.. I don't pretend to understand what it can all do yet but it will come with experience.

This is one of the front struts, damper is located in the engine bay.

Name:  DSCF7986.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  82.8 KB

How nicely this lets the car sit.. at this stage I'd also fitted the front panel, mounted radiator & fan, fitted bonnet pins in panel, drilled through bonnet and fitted catches.

Name:  DSCF7994.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  77.6 KB

On Thursday I'd been to collect the bumpers from painting, so after the above it was onto fitting the headlights, then bumpers both front and rear.

Also had to make up mounts for the fire extinguisher nozzles, one in engine bay, the other in the drivers side footwell.

After the late Friday night it was back to the circuit early Saturday to get the decals on, number squares & numbers, Dunlop stickers, sunstrip, Tow stickers etc.

Most of the ST's booked the same session so it was good to be out there comparing my car to others, which is when I noticed a problem, my straight line speed was lacking noticeably. I had been taking the car round gently as this was it's first session on track and using less revs than can be used.

Put this down to my lack of time in the car and waited to see how it would go in session two. It felt even worse, with a huge flat spot between 3500 and 5000rpm where it suddenly kicked in like a turbo. A bit more investigation found a simple and easily fixed problem - my throttle pedal bump stop had been bent out of place and was effectively only letting me use 2/3rds throttle. No more testing on Saturday so fixed the car, and hoped come Sunday morning qualifying it would be better.

Qualifying was very wet so had to stick on a set of wets, this would be my first time on these tyres ever, but I'd heard a lot of good reviews about how grippy they are.

I took the session to learn them so was about 3 -4 seconds off the ST pole sitter in 5th out of six cars. But during the track time I had learned how good the wets felt and was actually looking forward to a wet race for the first time ever. The session also confirmed my throttle problems were sorted, the car now actually roared from the induction kit..!

Got a steady start in Race 1 and managed to keep the leading ST's in my sights. Due to us racing with XR2's who are on all weather tyres in the wet we have about a 4 - 5 second advantage per lap. Despite starting with a 20 second delay from the XR2's the top 4 overall were ST's, with me finishing 5th in the ST's, catching all but the leading two XR2 drivers.

After the race I found out I had the second quickest lap time out of the 6 ST's so was pretty chuffed with that.

Race 2 and the track had dried up a bit but to be safe went with slicks front wets rear combo, I knew when we got on track it was wrong but it was too late to change the backs so would have to work with what I had.

Got another steady start with no wheelspin and kept on the tail of 2 other ST's for about 4 or 5 laps, battling with them hard but fair and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I finished 5th again in Race 2, however only 1.5 seconds from 2nd place, and my fastest lap was a 63.999 second lap, comparable to the rest.

Overall from the weekend I really enjoyed the ST, it seems like a real racing machine, pleasure to drive, quick, sure footed and awesome on both the slick and wet tyres.

With myself I am really pleased for being thereabouts in lap times and feel I have taken to this car much better than my old XR2. Compared to the driver who won both ST races, I was about 7 or 8 tenths off in terms of fastest laps, both wet and dry conditions. I am sure my lap times will come down with a bit more seat time in the car in the future. At this moment the commitment to building the ST has been totally worth it.

Next race is at Knockhill on 8/9 May supporting the British GT championship. Looking forward to that.

For now, some pics of the car. Videos should hopefully follow later in week.

(Yes, the eagle eyed amongst you may notice the two different types of wheel on my car here.. )

Name:  DSCF8008.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  DSCF8010.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  DSCF8013.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  DSCF8016.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  DSCF8012.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  68.8 KB
Old 19-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

loooking very nice mate.....
Old 20-04-2010, 06:19 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Well done mate,

car looks great
Old 20-04-2010, 04:34 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done Blair.
Have to get an incar camera since it sounds like you'll be doing some good racing this season.
Old 20-04-2010, 10:33 PM
erjones
PassionFord Regular

Very nice and good result for you first outing, would love to get in to racing sometime
Old 20-04-2010, 10:38 PM
BlairM

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Well done Blair.
Have to get an incar camera since it sounds like you'll be doing some good racing this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGhfwebskU8

Hopefully get the 1st race up tomorrow night.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:34 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The black ST was edging slightly of the line - cheating git

Some good racing there.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:42 PM
BlairM

Few videos of the races at the weekend

Race 1, Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEpgFv_VjJg

Race 1, Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rVmPxLf-tA

Race 2, complete:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGhfwebskU8

Enjoy!
Old 21-04-2010, 09:58 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

well done getting your car ready and looks like you had a positive reult in your first weekend.
you didn't crash so you did better than me in my first race weekend lol

steve
Old 21-04-2010, 10:43 PM
erjones
PassionFord Regular

Nice bit of driving, on Race 2 whats the pointing about at 1:47?
Old 22-04-2010, 11:55 AM
BlairM

lol, guy in car in front was giving me hand signals - i thought he was saying lets get the car in front (we both run from the same team) so that was me saying, yeh, lets go for it!

Asked him after racing he said he was giving me the thumbs up for good driving!

Steve - thanks. I did see you had posted about a crash in another thread but last few weeks have been hectic for me, never got chance to look into it further.
Old 22-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Homer.
9500RPM torqueless wonder

Car was going well Blair, any changes to be made for next month? Got a couple of snaps of it at carlube

Name:  DSCF5121copy.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  DSCF5123copy.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  69.8 KB
Old 22-04-2010, 07:27 PM
erjones
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by BlairM
lol, guy in car in front was giving me hand signals - i thought he was saying lets get the car in front (we both run from the same team) so that was me saying, yeh, lets go for it!

Asked him after racing he said he was giving me the thumbs up for good driving!

Steve - thanks. I did see you had posted about a crash in another thread but last few weeks have been hectic for me, never got chance to look into it further.
lol fair enough! that black st really didnt want either fo you 2 to pass did he!
Old 23-04-2010, 10:11 PM
BlairM

Nope he's a hard racer! Just as well we're not big pansies like F1 who only allow about 1 defending move lol.

Homer - great pics! A few changes to be made, still to get proper braided brake hoses put on, proper towing points (meant to be that sort of webbing lorry straps material), it'll need to get a hose replaced that split for the power steering too.

Plus hopefully have my stripes on for the GT meeting!
Old 27-04-2010, 06:36 PM
BlairM

On track pictures, courtesy of a few different people.

Also agreed to help build another ST, starting on it Friday night - must be mad to want to do this again!

Following 3 courtesy of lambieST @ FiestaSTOC.com

Name:  DSCF1334.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  DSCF1333.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  DSCF1365.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  54.7 KB

Following 2 courtesy Homer @ Passionford.com (and 2 above - cheers mate)

Name:  DSCF5122.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  69.6 KB

Following 2 courtesy Power-Images.co.uk

Name:  COL_9399.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  IPS_5540.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  60.2 KB

Also been thinking that once car is 100% complete, i.e. full stripes on her, a drivers side sideskirt and my proper wheels (probably get the Dynamics anthracite ones!) that I wouldn't mind a few nice photos taken in the paddock at Knockhill. Anyone up for that. Sure I could get a wee reward for you!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
BlairM

Racing this weekend at Knockhill supporting the British GT championship.

Had a real fun week leading up to the races, involving changing the power steering hose twice! First time it took me about 9 hours, it involved dropping the front subframe of the car, 2nd time (after the 2nd hand hose burst) it was done in about 5.5 hours! It's just difficult due to the routing and the complexity of the exhaust / steering rack and all the heatshields.

This meant I unfortunately didn't manage to do any testing on Friday, so we were first on track at 8.30am this morning and you could tell that track was slippy. Even about 4 or 5 laps in the car was still pretty nervous from the back end.

Nevertheless my first qualifying of the season on slicks produced a 1.04.1 lap. This was good enough for 4th on grid of seven ST's, 2 tenths off my personal best in an ST but miles off top 3, front two cars were in the 1.01 laps and the 3rd place guy was 1 second up on me.

Being a 2 day meeting this time meant a longish wait from 8.30am till 1.40pm for our first race of the weekend.

First start to the race was red flagged due to an XR2 on it's roof, on the restart I didn't get as good a start and wasn't as close to the leading three as before going into the first corner. The race was largely uneventful for me, as the laps went on I was clear of those behind me but a bit off the top three. Catching and passing the slower XR2's can be fun - some drivers are more courteous than others!

Crossed the line in 4th and am pretty pleased with that. I also improved my personal best to a 63.2 second (roughly) lap. Fastest lap before was a 63.999. Thats a real positive I can take away from today, as privately I had set my target to get under a 63.5 this weekend. Sub 63 in tomorrows race would be good..

The only bummer about finishing 4th was I missed out on a podium, and this is the first weekend they have started handing out trophies in the ST Cup down to 3rd place. Previously only the winner got a trophy. So that is also tomorrows aim..

Race isn't till 14.55 tomorrow but going to have an early night!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck Mr Murdoch
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
rsjonny
PassionFord Regular

been great to watch this build all the way through and the racing looks brilliant good luck in future races... Really need to get myself out there now unfortunatley been off work for the last five weeks and gf wants to buy the house were in now so not looking good for this season
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 PM
BlairM

Women lol Thats why I don't have one haha..

Anyway had another race on Sunday..

Race 2 didn't quite meet the aims I had expected. For the first few laps however I was keeping pace with the pack in front of me however I started to make silly mistakes like selecting 4th into the hairpin instead of 2nd - it's surprising just how much this affects the car not slowing down!

That meant I started to drop back from the other ST's but still had one other ST behind me. Due to the other ST's catching up on the slower XR2's I started to catch them up, when on lap 5 following two XR2's through the chicane they both had a coming together and it led to me having to brake hardly. This made me lose about 5 seconds and then I had to start defending intensely from the ST behind.

I managed to get a gap of about a second built up but started doing silly things and it allowed him to catch up. I thought I would try to entice him into outbraking himself at the hairpin but it didn't work and he got by.

Drove my heart out for the last few laps and was positioning myself for a last corner lunge just incase the other ST made any mistakes. But to no avail!

Dissapointed to come home 6th and last in ST's on Sunday. The plus side was I broke through the 63 second lap barrier with a 62.899 beating my previous personal best. It was also nice to note from Mylaps.com that laps 2, 3 & 4 of the race were all within 0.045 seconds of each other. Less the hiccups most other laps were in the low 63 second laps.

I tried using 4th instead of 3rd at the first corner so am unsure if the faster times were due to the different driving or just by getting more familiar with the car.

Next race at Knockhill now is the end of July - there is an away round at Cadwell Park at the beginning of June however lack od budget prevents me going!

In the meantime got my onboard videos for your entertainment. I reccomend Race 2 Part 1 about 5.50 in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkAj9Yh5gEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Jh94tMMx4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkjLia39Rss
Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

well done m8, quite a coming together right in front of ya!

steve
Old 12-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Graham88

Christ they drive like lunatics
Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 PM
ROBnoTOP
Lost for life.....

First of all respect for all the hard work you did on the car...

And I like the videos, that's close racing.....

I wonder what the Red Fiësta was doing, he was all over the track..lol

Do you have a sponsor or is it all your money I wonder ?

Keep videos coming, I will follow this thread....
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM
BlairM

Cheers fellas.

It's all my own money at present. Don't drink or smoke so that helps me on my way lol.

Need to work on some sponsorship for later in the year / a big campaign next year!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Blair - for the m-sport carbon/fibreglass door cards do you need to keep/use the moulded original plastic base frame that's originally behind the door card or not?

when i am ready do you think you could source me a pair of these door cards?

thanks Marc
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Blair, we saw your car parked up when we was there for time attack, i was going to leave you a little note stuck on your windscreen but i bottled out

looking good mate, well done pal
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
James998

Looking very nice matey, if you're ever racing at Cadwell let me know as i'd head down and take some pictures, it's not a million miles from me
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM
BlairM

Originally Posted by M K
Blair - for the m-sport carbon/fibreglass door cards do you need to keep/use the moulded original plastic base frame that's originally behind the door card or not?

when i am ready do you think you could source me a pair of these door cards?

thanks Marc
Marc, yes because you need to cut out holes for the door handle, door grab handle and electric window switches - these all secure on to the base frame. The electric window motor / mechanism also is on the back of that base frame. Just to get the door card on with the rollcage we actually cut a few bits of plastic off the base frame and cut a few holes out it too (uber weight saving lol).

I think the team may still have some spare door cards but I'll check when you're ready if thats still the case.

Originally Posted by miller3
Blair, we saw your car parked up when we was there for time attack, i was going to leave you a little note stuck on your windscreen but i bottled out

looking good mate, well done pal
Thanks, always on show at Knockhill so it is.

Originally Posted by James998
Looking very nice matey, if you're ever racing at Cadwell let me know as i'd head down and take some pictures, it's not a million miles from me
I wasn't racing but I was down there helping out with some other Scottish ST drivers last weekend, they were racing in the BRSCC Fiesta ST championship. Could of raced myself but didn't fancy the cost aspect!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

ok mate,

i still have the inner door card so thats ok although i no longer have the window mechanism etc or any elctrics as these are not being used just i will just need it for the door handle,

what was the price again mate?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:44 AM
atm

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looking good
Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 PM
BlairM

Originally Posted by M K
ok mate,

i still have the inner door card so thats ok although i no longer have the window mechanism etc or any elctrics as these are not being used just i will just need it for the door handle,

what was the price again mate?

Think they're roughly £250 a pair.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Paulzs
Part of the Furniture

cracking little fiesta race car love it
Old 11-07-2010, 04:27 PM
BlairM

Next race is 25th July, could possibly be my last because of my work being on really short time and my accident I had with my road car this week - money is gonna be tight. Unless some kind soul reading this wants to sponsor me?

Nevertheless yesterday car has been given the once over and also fitted some 'foamalux' material to the rear interior quarters, just tidy's it up a bit - at least I think so?

Pics are from opposite sides (and different months!) but you can see where panel had been cut away and how it is now.

Name:  DSCF7898.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  DSCF8060Large.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  67.4 KB

Not going to test on Saturday due to lack of money but will be at Knockhill getting the car scrutineered and hopefully give it a good polish!
Old 27-07-2010, 08:29 PM
BlairM

Here's the video's of my 2 races at Knockhill on Sunday.

Reasonable enough weekend, didn't win (sadly!) but didn't shame myself. Qualified 6th, finished 6th in Race 1 and 5th in Race 2.

Race 2 was an awesome battle with two other ST's, really enjoyed that one.

I did manage to test on Saturday and decided my front tyres were goosed so got 2 new slicks. Still suffer from under steer slightly and not sure how to cure it, suspension is as soft on front and as hard on back as it'll go and tyre pressures seem to be quite similar amongst everyone. Maybe it's just my driving style I need to change to drive around it.

Race 1 Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbpLjYKA24k

Race 1 Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8tWg3vZ2Do

Race 2 Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-t_BMaci-Y

Race 2 Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVrGETboW0U

Quick Reply: Fiesta ST race car project