Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Skoda Pickup variable vane Turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Barry_GTi
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skoda Pickup variable vane Turbo project

Something a little weird but here we go anyway.

I got fed up working on my WR480 big bore Supermoto project today so worked on something else....

I found just about the only Skoda Felicia Pickup in New Zealand that an ex-pat had brought out with them, they then ran it through a big puddle and bent a con rod. My original plan was to fit a VR6 turbo in it, but the setup is largely Skoda so it would have been a complete re-do of all mounts/subframe etc etc. So then I decided to get friends in Scotland to get me parts to fix, but then I decided to go a little further.

I have a couple of variable vane turbos from Land Rover TDV6 engines, now they put out 190bhp and 325lb/ft as standard so I am hoping 200bhp is possible on my engine, although it may be slightly too large.

The standard engine is 1.9d NA, but the older 1.6td engine is a nicer revver and has a better diesel pump for tuning so..... I am planning to build a frankenstein with 1.6 bottom end and the 1.9 head which is much better for flow, I will also do a bit of light port work to it.

So today started with me removing the standard inlet and downpipe and trying to work out how to fit the turbo, first problem.... I can't clock the exhaust housing due to the variable vanes so trying to sit the turbo so that the oil inlet and outlet are vertical is tough. The below picture is as best as I can get it:

Now this means I need to get a little adapter pipe made to go from the manifold to the intake of the exhaust housing, it also means the downpipe has to come out and bend down pretty tightly but I will make it big to compensate.

The variable vane actuator rod will also sit close to block so going to be a pain to adjust, this will be actuated by the throttle pedal, basically when the pedal is mashed the vanes will direct all gases at the turbine wheel and when on partial it will allow some gases to pass to hopefully keep it frugal. I will use the EGR outlet on manifold to run an external gate to control boost so some more piping required.

This is the inside of the standard intake, obviously there are 3 more ram pipes.

Now I like this design so I am going to try and get someone to make a copy of the top plastic part in aluminium, as I fear the plastic will explode

Next I removed the bumper to trial fit my Land Rover intercooler, what a BASTARD it was getting the grill out the fucker!!

Anyway I have cut the tank outlets, will get these welded and have the new outlets at each end of the tank.

After that I took the head off just to check it, and there was none of the cracking between the valves they normally have so it's a top class head!!

So just waiting on the 1.6 engine to arrive to strip down and will get head cleaned and stripped at work next week.

Last edited by Barry_GTi; 12-04-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting