Other Marques Use this section for any non Ford marques.

converting mondeo mk2 to 4x4

Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
  #1  
jezzasin
15000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ipswich
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting mondeo mk2 to 4x4

hi guys, got myself a mk2 mondeo 1.8 which im slowly turning to st24 spec (minus enigine lol- insurance would kill me) and i wondered if it was possible to convet it to 4x4, if so what bits would i need and from what car could i use them from
jezzasin is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 PM
  #2  
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 918
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

You could use the 4x4 kit from a MK1 Mondeo which is a straight fir but a lot of work and rare to find.

Percybigun on here had a set for sale not long ago.
bookwyse is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 PM
  #3  
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!
 
Fiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newton Aycliffe County Durham
Posts: 10,467
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

as jeff says, the 4x4 MK1 would be the obvious choice, but good luck finding one, they made less than 500
Fiddy is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 PM
  #4  
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!
iTrader: (2)
 
RichieST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 18,647
Received 420 Likes on 370 Posts
Default

Easier to just buy a 4x4 mondeo surely? Not too sure why you would want to do it, surely the 4x4 system would sap a fair bit of power and I don't reckon a 1.8 would really require 4 wheel drive anyway?
RichieST is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
  #5  
jezzasin
15000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ipswich
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

im just lookin into doin somethin different as i havent found anythin about a mk2 4x4 (unless google is not helpin properly) as at the moment its just a standard st24 replica in need of a paint job and something dirrerent, im thinking of having the bonnet extended like this one

jezzasin is offline  
Old 13-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  #6  
djmillsy
Fife Radge
 
djmillsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Cumnock Hometown: Rosyth
Posts: 2,939
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

pretty sure the 4wd is wank anyway same as the mk6 rs2000 escorts
djmillsy is offline  
Old 13-10-2010, 07:23 PM
  #7  
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!
 
Fiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newton Aycliffe County Durham
Posts: 10,467
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by djmillsy View Post
pretty sure the 4wd is wank anyway same as the mk6 rs2000 escorts
i know a lad running a 4x4 MK1 with a focus RS engine, he isnt running stupid power, but the transmission is coping ok with it
Fiddy is offline  
Old 13-10-2010, 07:26 PM
  #8  
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!
 
Fiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newton Aycliffe County Durham
Posts: 10,467
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jezzasin View Post
im just lookin into doin somethin different as i havent found anythin about a mk2 4x4 (unless google is not helpin properly) as at the moment its just a standard st24 replica in need of a paint job and something dirrerent

doing something different to a MK2 is difficult mate, most things have been done before.

as for a 4x4 MK2, ford never made one
Fiddy is offline  
Old 14-10-2010, 07:09 AM
  #9  
jezzasin
15000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ipswich
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

yeh thats what i thought, i heard that a certain jag has a similar plan to the mk2 so can use some of the 4x4 stuff from that but cant seem to find the site i found the info, but if its possible to use the parts from a mk1 that would be better as i know someone who is willing to sell me all the parts i need for £300 including the 2.0 engine, gearbox, all legs shafts and propshaft, even the rear subframe and tank
jezzasin is offline  
Old 14-10-2010, 07:44 AM
  #10  
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!
 
Fiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newton Aycliffe County Durham
Posts: 10,467
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

anything can be made to fit mate if your handy with fabrication. your best bet would be the MK1 mondeo 4x4 system, as it will be closest to the MK2. as for a 4x4 jag being similar, that is similar to the MK3 mondeo, as they share the same chassis.
Fiddy is offline  
Old 14-10-2010, 09:06 AM
  #11  
scratch18
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: noottingham
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

its true about the jag being the same but its the x type and the mk3 mondeo, not sure mk3 made a 4x4 but i would think the mk2 and mk3 would take some work, mk1 4x4 is the best way, unless you want to convert to sierra floor pan, this would be alot of work!! why dont you fit a turbo instead??? 4x4 is no good in the mondeo form, you get gearbox/transfer box problems
scratch18 is offline  
Old 14-10-2010, 11:41 AM
  #12  
djmillsy
Fife Radge
 
djmillsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Cumnock Hometown: Rosyth
Posts: 2,939
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Fiddy View Post
i know a lad running a 4x4 MK1 with a focus RS engine, he isnt running stupid power, but the transmission is coping ok with it
is the system not more focused on fwd though
djmillsy is offline  
Old 15-10-2010, 06:39 AM
  #13  
jezzasin
15000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ipswich
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

ok is there any other mods that can be done to a mondeo apart from RSAP kit, wheels and lowering (new to this mondeo lark lol)
jezzasin is offline  
Old 25-10-2010, 03:05 PM
  #14  
Davemurphy007
Ford Focus Specialist
 
Davemurphy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Saudi Arabia/Southampton
Posts: 516
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jezzasin View Post
ok is there any other mods that can be done to a mondeo apart from RSAP kit, wheels and lowering (new to this mondeo lark lol)
There's nothing engine-wise that can't be done on an Escort/Focus as well but you have the advantage with those cars of them being a lot lighter and better handling (certainly the Focus is).

Mondeo's are good for stereos and styling and not a lot else.
Davemurphy007 is offline  
Old 25-10-2010, 04:10 PM
  #15  
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!
iTrader: (1)
 
massivewangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norfolk Drives: Couple of Fords
Posts: 5,299
Received 168 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

God there's some rubbish going on here isn't there

I'm sure you could make the running gear from a MK1 Mondeo 4x4 fit the MK2, but I'm not sure if pick up points and things are a bit different, so you might be as well to buy a complete 4x4 and convert yours with that side-by-side so to speak. Though it would be a lot of work, so it is of questionable worth for the results.

As for the other thoughts. How is the 4x4 system wank? It's perfectly fine if it's looked after and you don't try and chuck a load of horsepower that it was never designed for through it. I love the way that the RS 4x4 system is shit as over 200bhp is pushing it a bit, but no one seems to say how shit the RST boxes are, despite the fact they regularly shit themselves at the same power output

Also, the Mondeo is good for a lot of things. It has a pretty decent chassis, especially for a car of it's size. Cars like the ST24/ST200 set class-leading handling standards, which the Mondeo has carried through to this day. People seem to forget it was the Mondeo which really made steps to change the way Fords drive, and without it, I very much doubt the Focus etc would be the cars they are.

If it was me, I'd fit the RSAP kit, bit of a drop with some nice 18" multispokes. Fit some V6 rear brakes, some Focus RS Brembos, ST200 interior, and supercharge a 2.0 lump. It isn't massively different, but who gives a monkey's uncle, it would be a wicked car
massivewangers is offline  
Old 27-10-2010, 07:54 AM
  #16  
jezzasin
15000
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ipswich
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by massivewangers View Post
God there's some rubbish going on here isn't there

I'm sure you could make the running gear from a MK1 Mondeo 4x4 fit the MK2, but I'm not sure if pick up points and things are a bit different, so you might be as well to buy a complete 4x4 and convert yours with that side-by-side so to speak. Though it would be a lot of work, so it is of questionable worth for the results.

As for the other thoughts. How is the 4x4 system wank? It's perfectly fine if it's looked after and you don't try and chuck a load of horsepower that it was never designed for through it. I love the way that the RS 4x4 system is shit as over 200bhp is pushing it a bit, but no one seems to say how shit the RST boxes are, despite the fact they regularly shit themselves at the same power output

Also, the Mondeo is good for a lot of things. It has a pretty decent chassis, especially for a car of it's size. Cars like the ST24/ST200 set class-leading handling standards, which the Mondeo has carried through to this day. People seem to forget it was the Mondeo which really made steps to change the way Fords drive, and without it, I very much doubt the Focus etc would be the cars they are.

If it was me, I'd fit the RSAP kit, bit of a drop with some nice 18" multispokes. Fit some V6 rear brakes, some Focus RS Brembos, ST200 interior, and supercharge a 2.0 lump. It isn't massively different, but who gives a monkey's uncle, it would be a wicked car
thanks for the info, the 4x4 thing does seem a bit of a big job lol but the list of mods you gave sounds good, i have the RSAP kit already just need to repair the skirts as one is missing a bracket from the middle, have been lookin at a set of 18-19" bk299's with the black middle and chrome lip as for charging a 2.0 lump, i take it a blacktop would be best but would it be a straight swap for the silvertop, as for lowering i bought a set of lowering springs from someone off gumtree only to find they are for a bleedin focus mk1 lol
jezzasin is offline  
Old 27-10-2010, 08:31 AM
  #17  
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,623
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

I'm sure the MK1 and MK2 shar ethe same floorpan? If thats the case I'm sure it would just be a case of swapping over the rear beam, fitting the propshaft and the gearbox?
Bailes1992 is offline  
Old 28-01-2018, 02:47 AM
  #18  
Dren
Virgin
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Rickmansworth, HERTS
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit late to the party

OK I know it's been a looooong time, but has anyone successfully converted a Mk2 Mondeo to 4x4 ?

I have a Mondeo Estate ST24 that I like BUT in ice or in a muddy field the front wheels spin and it goes nowhere. I want to keep the car, so ideally I want to change it to have AWD. What do I need and what advice can you give me. ? PLEASE don't say "sell the car, and buy,,,,," that is not going to happen. I really like the car and it is only in these situations the front wheel drive lets the car down

I need a new rear axle, a new gearbox ? A diff for front to back ?
As it is an estate and they never made a Mk2 4x4 a custom propshaft?

Is the exhaust OK ?

What else would I need to change ? What welding do I need ?

Thanks

Dren
Dren is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
pieterjan
Ford Focus RS
0
17-09-2015 06:17 PM
Rob Wells
Ford Mondeo Including ST
5
14-09-2015 02:19 PM
tib2220
Technical help Q & A
1
14-09-2015 12:33 PM
Neil Clark
General Car Related Discussion.
3
08-09-2015 07:06 PM
hopper350
Garage / Workshop & Tools Section.
2
04-09-2015 12:53 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: converting mondeo mk2 to 4x4


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.