Motorcycle Chat & Sales We do fast cars and fast bikes. Keep the bike chat and adverts in here please folks!

bike test advice please *theory now booked*

Search this Thread

Old 21-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bike test advice please *theory now booked*

been thinking of doing my bike test alot recently,
after seeing billybigspuds threads on bikes and the fact that a decent 600 can be had for good money in more intrested than ever.

how easy is the bike test?
i only ever used mopeds in the past so i have no bike experience at all.

how many lessons do people normaly have to have before a test?

Last edited by Mark_; 13-09-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 21-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi mate
Firstly did you get my pm?

I did my bike test in 2003 from being a complete novice. NEVER ridden before. CBT is one day on a 125. Can't really fail that!

I think i only had 5-6 hours on the bike before my test and that was enough. If you're already a driver you should have good road awareness then it's a case of transferring those skills to a bike. Observation is the key!

Cant comment on how difficult new test is but surely with half a brain it's fine. The theory is easy enough and mostly common sense.

Biking is cool!
Old 21-08-2010, 04:47 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

just going thru my own bike test stuff just now,
done my cbt 6 weeks ago, its a full day affair now(used to only be a few hours), morning in yard learning how the bike works and getting your balance sorted etc,
then afternoon out on the road for 2 hr assessment, much harder than it used to be, but no prob if your remotely competant,
theory 2 weeks ago, thats a doddle, but it does include some questions on safety and 1st aid now that caught me out, still passed so no probs there,
got to do a couple lessond for more road experience and get rid of my bad driving habits,
the actual test is in 2 parts now(i havenr done either yet),
1st part is supposed to be easy enough with just a basic bike skills assessment again in a closed yard,
the 2nd part(which you sit on a differant day, cant apply for this till you pass the 1st part), is on the road and is supposed to be quite strict now,
the dsa has cut back on the amount of test centres offering bike tests recently,
and as such the demand for each centre is very high, especialy at this time of year,
so tests need to be booked a while in advance now, best check where is available near you to sit a test and find a instructor somewhere in between, its working out quite expensive for me at the moment but i cant wait to get my licence,
good luck with it whatever you decide to do
Old 21-08-2010, 04:50 PM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow speed control is the KEY ... Master that and you will piss the test .. Promise!
Old 21-08-2010, 04:58 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamie's
just going thru my own bike test stuff just now,
done my cbt 6 weeks ago, its a full day affair now(used to only be a few hours), morning in yard learning how the bike works and getting your balance sorted etc,
then afternoon out on the road for 2 hr assessment, much harder than it used to be, but no prob if your remotely competant,
theory 2 weeks ago, thats a doddle, but it does include some questions on safety and 1st aid now that caught me out, still passed so no probs there,
got to do a couple lessond for more road experience and get rid of my bad driving habits,
the actual test is in 2 parts now(i havenr done either yet),
1st part is supposed to be easy enough with just a basic bike skills assessment again in a closed yard,
the 2nd part(which you sit on a differant day, cant apply for this till you pass the 1st part), is on the road and is supposed to be quite strict now,
the dsa has cut back on the amount of test centres offering bike tests recently,
and as such the demand for each centre is very high, especialy at this time of year,
so tests need to be booked a while in advance now, best check where is available near you to sit a test and find a instructor somewhere in between, its working out quite expensive for me at the moment but i cant wait to get my licence,
good luck with it whatever you decide to do
Cbt's have alway's been a full day, you cant fail them as it's training and they can ask you back for more training but you will never fail one. And the das have not reduced the centre's that do them it's the fact it's a 2 part test now and not all have enough space for part 1. It's an easyer test now as it's split into 2 part's.
Old 21-08-2010, 05:08 PM
jamie's

i done my 1st cbt 4 years ago and it only lasted 2 hrs, completly differant test now,
and the amount of test centres has defo been massively reduced, as i centre i done my test in 4 years ago is now closed, and when i asked about it when i done my cbt few weeks ago was told by examiner about the centres all being closed down, cant remember the exact amount but there was 20 odd all close down recently, something to do with bringing the centres in line with the new european directive,
he showed us all the centres that had closed in the last 2 years,
your right about not failing the cbt, it isn't a test as such, just what its usualy referred to, but yes if your not up to standard you go back agai untill your good enough to get the "pass" certificate
Old 21-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers guys, been looking on the web today and a 5day course near me is Ł715 including the use of their bikes and the cbt,

think im going to book up.

LAMBCHOP pming you now
Old 21-08-2010, 05:50 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

im sure it can be had cheaper than thgat
Old 21-08-2010, 05:51 PM
.Ross.

Ł490 when I did mine mate all Inc ...
Old 21-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by .Ross.
Ł490 when I did mine mate all Inc ...

how long ago was that? how many days was it?

im going to get the theory book and get that out the way then ill book my training
Old 21-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Dexy
DTFTW

Ive also been looking into it a lot recently, i can do the 5 day for Ł630 in scotland.
Im looking forward to doing it but will be very strict on what bike i get first as a novice going straight to a 600 will be a bit much i think, i guess ill just have to see how i get on, but make sure you get all the good gear to wear first as i think thats the main issue.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:02 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by mar_k
how long ago was that? how many days was it?

im going to get the theory book and get that out the way then ill book my training
Ah around 4 year ago mate ...

I just Paid the Ł495 then did the CBT, Then they booked the Theory. (Check online everyday for a cancelation as it can take months)

Once the Theory/Hazzard jobby was done then they book the Full Test.

About a week before test I did the lessons and a doubler before the test.

Another Bit of Advice is Buy a Decent Lid ... Dont buy shite and dont get mail order either.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers ross.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:08 PM
.Ross.

cheers ross.
Ah ne bother ... Dont get sucked into the 7 day pass shite either mate ...

Either way its gonna take a few Month to get ticket .. Good luck!
Old 21-08-2010, 06:18 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

as for jumping onto a 6 being too much i dont think so, there only power is when you gun them and rev them then there pocket rockets, if you potter round up to 4-5000 rpm there like a tamed little dog, gradually you will learn to open it up
Old 21-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my plan is to get straight on an r6,

had an insurance quote of Ł460 2day based on me passing a month ago,

bike garaged and only third party cover
Old 21-08-2010, 06:22 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

go for it mate there a great bike, 1500 will buy you one if you look hard enough
Old 21-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by billybigspuds
go for it mate there a great bike, 1500 will buy you one if you look hard enough

upto 2k would be my budget, seen some nice w and y reg bikes for about that,

a couple with 8k miles and another with 24k on it.

really need to crack on with it and get the test done.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:26 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

also consider the gsxr, theres a 2001 yellow one on ebay been on a while i bidded him 1400 for it a month back bet 1500 would buy it now

also bare in mind to buy one if you want a test drive you will need to put the full cash in there hand
Old 21-08-2010, 06:27 PM
jamie's

600's a good starter bike,(i like gsxr's myself but thats just personal taste)
they only go as fast as you tell it to go,
just dont go thinking your valentino the day you pass your test,
take it easy and get used to the feel of your bike, build it up slowly and you'll be fine,
if you get a smaller bike like a 250 or even a 400 etc, you'll get bored of it a bit to easily and end up wanting something bigger within a couple months,
a 600 will keep you happy for a bit longer, but like anything,
you'll eventualy get used to the power and want more,
Old 21-08-2010, 06:30 PM
.Ross.

Well he will probably do the test on a CB500 which is a semi big bike. They are allot more planted to the road over a 125 that you will he CBT on.

Personally Ide but a Sit-Up-And-Beg streetfighter ... Renthal bars etc etc .. Dont really like Clip-On's.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:30 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

tis true i went to a 150 bhp fireblade, instant amazing increase, low end power was wheel up easily, however i found wanted the scream and sound of a 600 again

in my eyes plenty good enough, sat at 15000 rpm is fucking amazing with the right exhaust, nothing else gives me the same rush, i spose maybe bungee jumping would after ive done it a couple times lol
Old 21-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

will be used to commute to and from work so i can leave the car for the mrs,
did consider a ped but i know id get bored
Old 21-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Dexy
DTFTW

So do people recon going for normal lessons will be better than the 5 day course or however long it is?
Old 21-08-2010, 06:32 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i done my 1st cbt 4 years ago and it only lasted 2 hrs, completly differant test now,
and the amount of test centres has defo been massively reduced, as i centre i done my test in 4 years ago is now closed, and when i asked about it when i done my cbt few weeks ago was told by examiner about the centres all being closed down, cant remember the exact amount but there was 20 odd all close down recently, something to do with bringing the centres in line with the new european directive,
he showed us all the centres that had closed in the last 2 years,
your right about not failing the cbt, it isn't a test as such, just what its usualy referred to, but yes if your not up to standard you go back agai untill your good enough to get the "pass" certificate
you have to have a MINIUMUM of 2 hours on the road by law always has been, i did my first one 15 years ago and another 8 years ago and both were a full day, you must of had your pant's down!
if the test centre has closed down then it isnt "the dsa has cut back on the amount of test centres offering bike tests recently" as it doesnt only affect bike's.
there are a lot that cant do part 1 of the test as it has to be off road and they physically have not got the space to do them.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:32 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

the crash course is fine, but if you fail the mode one it becomes difficult as they cannot rebook the mod2 for 3 days
Old 21-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by .Ross.
Well he will probably do the test on a CB500 which is a semi big bike. They are allot more planted to the road over a 125 that you will he CBT on.

Personally Ide but a Sit-Up-And-Beg streetfighter ... Renthal bars etc etc .. Dont really like Clip-On's.

the place i am looking at using uses the cb500 and bandits
Old 21-08-2010, 06:42 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if you get a smaller bike like a 250 or even a 400 etc, you'll get bored of it a bit to easily and end up wanting something bigger within a couple months,
a 600 will keep you happy for a bit longer, but like anything,
you'll eventualy get used to the power and want more,
bollocks, you need to learn how to ride a bike after you've passed your test. they dont teach you anywhere near enough on the test imo.
a good rider on a 400 will make the majority of new rider's on bigger bikes look fucking stupid.
you'll learn more ringing the neck out of a 400 than tootleing about on a 600.
Old 21-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Dexy
DTFTW

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
bollocks, you need to learn how to ride a bike after you've passed your test. they dont teach you anywhere near enough on the test imo.
a good rider on a 400 will make the majority of new rider's on bigger bikes look fucking stupid.
Thats what ive read before, i really want a 2006 GSXR 600 bit id be scared id drop it, Im pretty sure your going to drop a bike at some point, more often than not it will be your first one.
Old 21-08-2010, 07:06 PM
.Ross.

the place i am looking at using uses the cb500 and bandits
Aye they are the prefered Bike ...

Its a Common quote from experienced riders about power and speed of lesser bikes ..

Believe me .. A 90BHP FZS600 will seem like an R1 at first.
Old 21-08-2010, 07:33 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dexy
Thats what ive read before, i really want a 2006 GSXR 600 bit id be scared id drop it, Im pretty sure your going to drop a bike at some point, more often than not it will be your first one.
I dropped my first bike, i was gutted! It's all to easy to do.
Old 21-08-2010, 07:52 PM
jamie's

my point was that he'll get bored of a 400 faster than a 600,
so he's more likely to keep it a bit longer,
i 100% agree that a decednt rider on a 400 would be faster/safer and more competant that a newbie on a 600, thats not what i was getting at,
and the centres where defo closed due to the new regs set out by the european legislation,
the examiner was laid off from his old job at 1 of them, he had all the info, all the literature about the closed centres etc,
there was even an article on the wall downloaded from the dsa website explaining how the cost to upgrade the test centres was deemed uneconomical so it was deemed more viable to close certain test centres and make the others into bigger centres with more testers etc,
theres an ongoing fight up the north of scotland at the moment about this, as the only centre there was in the area(cant remember which 1, but was on an island i think) was closed, and now the test requires a 3-4hr drive or a short flight, and so now everybody up there is just riding with no licence,
Old 21-08-2010, 08:09 PM
knightsy

I passed my test on a 3 day course a few years back, the intesive course is better in my opinion as you do everything in one go so you don't have timevto forget anything everyone I know passed this way. My first bike was a 2001 x reg r6 as said before it only goes as fast as you want it to, most people have the opinion that they will be nutters on bikes until they get on one and most of the time that opinion changes if they have any self preservation at all. The r6 is a good bike but as someone else mentioned I'd try a k1 on gsxr600 especially if you are tall, anything 6 ft or over an r6 is cramped, I changed to a Gsxr and it was way better for me, fuel injected aswell. I stared riding again last September after a few years off I bought a new gsxr600 and it was mega but I got a bit bored of that so just bought a gsxr1000 l0 and it's mega. Good luck with whatever you choose to do but do it now before the test is literally impossible to pass.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:17 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was a complete novice, i did my cbt which anyone can pass its that easy lol

theroy was straight forward

the main test i just passed mine before the new test, and alls i did was 2 days riding and my test

the instructor will tell you if you need more lessons the 1st time he sees you ride the bike

dont buy an expensive bike you will drop it lol, i have and it hurt but my 600 was cheap so didnt mind, even though crash bobbins saved all my fairing
Old 21-08-2010, 08:22 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my point was that he'll get bored of a 400 faster than a 600,
so he's more likely to keep it a bit longer,
i 100% agree that a decednt rider on a 400 would be faster/safer and more competant that a newbie on a 600,
if it's just used for a squirt on a straight road then you will.
i personaly think that all new riders should be restricted.
seen load's of people pass there test, give it big gun's and go straight on at the first corner or slam on and go round at 5 mph as there unsure how to actually carry speed through a corner, 600's have just enough power to get you into trouble when least expecting it.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:25 PM
jamie's

if it's just used for a squirt on a straight road then you will.
i personaly think that all new riders should be restricted.
seen load's of people pass there test, give it big gun's and go straight on at the first corner or slam on and go round at 5 mph as there unsure how to actually carry speed through a corner, 600's have just enough power to get you into trouble when least expecting it.
99% of accidents is rider error,
lack of experience,
a restricted bike wouldn't hurt realy,
prob save a few lives
Old 21-08-2010, 09:27 PM
stuarth
PassionFord Regular

the intensive courses arent as good now as you have the 2 parts of test, we just done our cbt then theory to get them out way then just taking lessons as and when,as you can do an intense course and fail your mod 1 and just need more lessons,

imo cbts are more strict the shitter you are on bike , we got told after 10 min we were fine, talked shit for 20min then just went for a ryde,

they should teach you how to wheelie on test lol

600 super sports all the way anything less is gay
Old 21-08-2010, 09:28 PM
stuarth
PassionFord Regular

99% of accidents is rider error,
lack of experience,
a restricted bike wouldn't hurt realy,
prob save a few lives
if in doubt pull out lol
Old 21-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well ive just ordered my theory test book, its an official DSA book so it now begins.

im sure ill be fine with it ive passed 2 theory's ( car and hgv ) and 3 driving tests( 1 car test and class1 & 2 hgv ) all 1st time so fingers crossed.

Last edited by Mark_; 21-08-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:43 PM
jamie's

Originally Posted by stuarth
if in doubt pull out lol
is that how donna got pregnant?

Quick Reply: bike test advice please *theory now booked*