Suspended car insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspended car insurance.

I may be selling my car tonight and will not have another car to insure for maybe a few days.

If I suspend my policy, would that remove my ability to drive other people's cars third party on my policy?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's only a few days why bother to end?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cos legally you cannot insure a car that is insured by someone else at the same time. Also my insurance company advise that I have to tell them if I sell my car. I don't fancy having my policy cancelled on me
Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another thing if you keep the insurance running and the buyer of your car smashes into someone and is uninsured your insurance is liable to pick up the cost which they will then put onto you as you have broken the conditions
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 PM
cherie
I have boobs

Why not just give your insurance company a call and ask them?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by cherie
Why not just give your insurance company a call and ask them?
Agreed.... I mean you ask for everyone on here what you should do with every part your life but something like this I would trust an expert
Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can't call them until my lunch, which annoying isn't looking likely to happen today, otherwise I would've done
Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Another thing if you keep the insurance running and the buyer of your car smashes into someone and is uninsured your insurance is liable to pick up the cost which they will then put onto you as you have broken the conditions
Simply not true.

You are not the owner of the car and are therefore not responsible for what the new driver does.

Sure in the time between him taking the car and the DVLA database being updated, the records will show you as the registered keeper, but you are not responsible as you have correctly filled out the V5 form and carried out your legal obligation of putting it in the post.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
Simply not true.

You are not the owner of the car and are therefore not responsible for what the new driver does.

Sure in the time between him taking the car and the DVLA database being updated, the records will show you as the registered keeper, but you are not responsible as you have correctly filled out the V5 form and carried out your legal obligation of putting it in the post.
Simply is true the car is still insured which has absoluly nothing to do with sending off the log book does it.

Thats the problem with asking questions on the internet you get people thinking they know what there talking about and giving advivce when reality is they know the best part of fuck all
Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

just keep quiet to the insurance company, failing that i can give you a reg to use for the time being, it's a car with bugger all on it, so will never be claimed against
Old 09-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

No the car is not insured.

The car has a policy on it at the time. That and being insured for liability purposes are completely unrelated.

Id imagine theres a phrase about ownership etc in the paperwork making the insurance invalid.

not forgetting the named driver is unlikely to be the new owner

The responsibility for insurance ends the second you fill out that V5 and hand over ownership to the new person.

Unless of course you have notified the insurance company and are insuring the vehicle on thier behalf......
Old 09-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I am not arguing with you but 100% your wrong
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

OK then explain how YOU can be legally laible for a vehicle which you no longer own nor are the registered keeper???

The time for the V5 to be processed or paperwork anomolies is irrelevant, its the actual act of transfering ownership that is legally relevant.

You have insurance because the law requires you to have a way of meeting your legal liability in a crash involving a vehicle you own.

You can technically put several million in a set aside account and not have insurance if you so wish, but thats not the point.

How are you suddenly legally liable for another persons legal responsibilities just because the insurance policy is still running??
Old 09-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I just wrote out explaining but deleted it cause i really cant be arsed trying to explain it cause all you will do is argue and say i'm wrong.

The reason i know i'm right is because a friend of mine sold his bike to some polish bloke but kept the insurance running to get his years ncb. Said polish bloke rode it uninsured and smashed into someone and now they are chasing him for the bill cause they were liable cause they had the bike insured suppose sort of like if the car was stolen and crashed and cause he broke the terms they are coming after him just like they would if he had insured a 500000bhp cossie as a standard car and crashed it
Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

so what legal prescedant are they pursueing him under then??

Sure he broke the insurance companies terms and conditions, but they are not legal legislation

I presume he is fighting this in court??? I cant see a judge in the land when presented with such facts would find him legally liable for another persons actions on a bike he no longer owned nor was legally responsible for.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have no idea but from what i can gather its pretty straight forward, the bike was insured by them so they have to cough up that seems pretty simple yes? He then broke the terms of the policy so they are chasing him for the money pretty simpe yes?

There not holding him responsible for the other blokes actions are they but waht they are holding him responsible for is breaking the terms of the policy which he did and they had to cough up simply because the vehicle was insured by them.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

still makes no sense,

my policy wording (and in fact every policy i have had)

states what vehicle is to be covered and that cover is only valid with the following named drivers.

the new owner isnt a name driver thus no insurance.

Plus many policies specifically say owned by you or access to you (ie Registered keeper) clauses too.

So it still makes no sense whatsoever that the insurance company are forced to pay out on an invalid policy for a driver they dont cover and a vehicle thats not covered anymore by the fact its no longer owned.

or is it a case where no legal involvement has been made and the dumb insurers just rolled over and paid out before having checked the details?? And hence now want payback??
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so does that mean if someone steals the car who obviously isnt a named driver crashes into someone then the insurance wont cover it cause there not a named driver lol
Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Thats different because you own the car and are insured for it being stolen....

you dont sign a contract that says "i agree to insure the new owner when i sell the car on"
Old 10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
car.crash
Part of the Furniture

I'm pretty sure the insurance can be paused for a while, so you can sell your car and find a new one then the policy will be swapped across as long as the car is one they will take on and they will adjust the policy cost accordingly.
I've done it with HIC a few times but I'm unsure on how long it can be paused for.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
Thats different because you own the car and are insured for it being stolen....

you dont sign a contract that says "i agree to insure the new owner when i sell the car on"
No but you also dont sign up for insuring a vehicle you dont own do you