General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Employment help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Employment help please

Right this is how the story goes:

I have been working for my employer all over the christmas period, working many hours, well over the Full time average weekly hours. Anyway, Sunday night I was working and next weeks roter was not down, so I didn't know when I was next working. Monday came and I spoke to a friend before work would usually start (he also works at the same place), he said he was working to which I said ok, good I can make plans then. An hour into the shift I get a phone call saying you're supposed to be working, I said I've made plans now so sorry but I can't do it. To which cover was arranged and the shift continued.

Today was my next day back at work, I went in and was told the shift had been covered and the boss wanted to talk to me, so I went and talked to my boss, who was too busy and basically said can you ring me tomorrow so we can talk about this. So i'm standing there thinking wtf? So then he comes back down and says you can go as I have the shift covered. To which I thought ' poo i've been sacked '. I don't know this for certain but it seems likely as I have been pushed out of my own shift that I have worked for the last year or so.

Now I am part time, what rights do I have if he does fire me? As as-far as I am concerned he doesn't have a leg to stand on if I take him to court, as I am always punctual, always working, never had any verbal or written warnings. Plus the fact the roter had not been updated to say I was working so therefore I have no way of knowing whether I am working or not.

I'm not too bothered about losing the job as I did not like it there, but it was money, and money I needed to see me through until the RAF finally get back to me.

Any help or advice.

I am thinking of going back tomorrow, setting the slate clean, if he sacks me then I will ask for the reason in writing and contest it in court as unfair dismissal, as the shift was not written down and he has no reason to sack me, saying this I know a lot of illegal stuff goes on down there and harsh working hours without breaks etc. Which I KNOW the court would love to hear all about.

So if someone can give me some advice as what to do if i'm sacked it would be great.

Cheers.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go:

http://www.worksmart.org.uk/rights/

..this should help you out a bit