General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

massive career change Armed forces???

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2005, 09:24 AM
james_birch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default massive career change Armed forces???

I really need to get another job as im so shit bored with mine! altho i only work 3nights a week i hate the job!

And no where takes anyone on without Qualifications (only have 4 c+ gcse's) or experiance...im only 24 so still got loads of time to learn...is the amred forces the only place to go now days???

Anyone on here in the air force?! wanna share ya life story?!..
Old 27-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

radders and bigwg are in the air force

just keep thnking of things ya might wanna do and go from there mate, being in the army with a kid aint easy mate, most of my family have been in the forces and left when they got married except my cousin and hes marrige split up and he had to leave to see his kids

its also not a 5 day a week job remember too, no bank holidays off

speak to cliff S1 about the army as hes in there too, hes on his way to belize soon which means he gonna come back with more STD's than itmeagain and his mates
Old 27-06-2005, 09:33 AM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hes on his way to belize soon which means he gonna come back with more STD's than itmeagain and his mates
Old 27-06-2005, 11:13 AM
james_birch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

any idea's on what else i could do! is there a web site where ya take a test and it tells ya the ideal job?!
Old 27-06-2005, 11:17 AM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was thinking about doing something similar.

Thinking of joining the Armed forces in something to do with electronics/ IT communications (get all the troops out in Iraq listening to NTP )

Needs more research though...
Old 27-06-2005, 11:21 AM
james_birch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by SimonT
I was thinking about doing something similar.

Thinking of joining the Armed forces in something to do with electronics/ IT communications (get all the troops out in Iraq listening to NTP )

Needs more research though...
lmfao!

was thinking along the lines of IT sumit like Weapon technician! only need 3gcse's! i got more than that!

http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_f...technician.cfm
Old 27-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its a major conmitment.

I also need to grow up and get a "proper" job, instead of a couple of evenings as a petrol station casher and messing about painting peoples cars.
Old 27-06-2005, 12:10 PM
james_birch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by * Rudey *
what about close protection elite securities in london i went for the test but shot 3 civilians in the mock range

only three? whats the problem with that! normal people are cannon fodder.....despensable and ultimatly pointless! lol...

unless its me that ya shoot by accedent
Old 27-06-2005, 01:43 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate if you like your kids and missis DONT DO IT if you want a weekend relationship do it, i have jusy got out after 12 yrs service in the Army and i dont miss it 1 bit. Miss all the lads and piss up`s and thats it
Old 27-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by * Rudey *
rosco you still in the resto buisness?
Yes mate, just finishing off a mates MK1 Astra GTE, will post up some pics on wednesday
Old 27-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b19bal
Radders is in the air force

its also not a 5 day a week job remember too, no bank holidays off
I is he

who told you that ginge???

I get all bank holidays off, as for the job its good but you get alot of shit with it, loadsa of discipline in your 1st few years as you'll only be a junior rank, ive been in 4 years now and kinda made my mark, so dont get no shit LOL

not to sure on the Army, but in the RAF you have a load of jobs to choose from , but then at this moment in time the RAF are trying to cut down 10k jobs, this being natural waste, Ie: people that have done there full time 9,15,18 and 22 years

Ive enjoyed my time, but as said its not your usual job, i went in with an idea as i have a background of the military, so always been an idea to join, never regreted it, made some wicked mates, do a little bit of travelling but then im only a paint sprayer, so dont really get to do much, If your into sports then thats even better as the forces LOVE to get people on courses Ie: parachute jumping, skiing, any watersport ( NON-Sexual tho )

Motorsport is another option, you get a load of time off for doing these activaties aswell, so you dont have to put in leave

Initial training for the RAF is 8 weeks basic then what ever you choose to do ( Job Training ) it'll vary, my job training for being a Paint Sprayer was 8 months, that included me getting an NVQ Level 3, an thats worth ALOT of money in civvie street, so if i ever come out i'll have a bloody good chance of getting a shit hot job and being EX forces people jump to imploy you

hope thats some kinda help,

Radleigh
Old 27-06-2005, 03:15 PM
james_birch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i know the forces love sports...my other half's little brother plays football (really well and i aint just saying that) they fly him al over the place to play and he's allowed long hair (so long as he keeps scoring) his team have just won loads of stuff includeing the all forces cup (think its called that)

just got back from spain playing a premier side select x11.....

i looked at the spraying one on the website! ....only thing holding me back really is my family! dont think i could go weeks at a time not seeing them!

god dam i hate having to make choices!
Old 27-06-2005, 03:28 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Isn't there an age limit to joining? I always wanted to get into the army or something but thought I couldn't as I was over the age of 21
Old 27-06-2005, 04:08 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by james_birch
i looked at the spraying one on the website! ....only thing holding me back really is my family! dont think i could go weeks at a time not seeing them!

god dam i hate having to make choices!
erm....no,if you join the RAF itd be VERY unlikely that youll spend any serious amount of time away from them,youll get a house on base and most people work 8-5 monday to friday that i know of,only regiment and squadrons disappear for loads of time,you might go away once or twice in 9 years for a few months,but thats no biggie. you get a 9 year contract and you KNOW youll get paid EVERY single month of that contract! the first 8 weeks will be the test mate,thats basic training,but there are still about 2 or 3 weekends you can go home on(remind me rad,been years since i was there!)
Old 27-06-2005, 04:10 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMac
Isn't there an age limit to joining? I always wanted to get into the army or something but thought I couldn't as I was over the age of 21
did you ask anyone about this?or just assume? i joined up with someone who turned 30 before we finished trade training!
Old 27-06-2005, 04:15 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

So there isn't an age limite awsome, might have to look into it now.... I wanna play with tanks
Old 27-06-2005, 04:21 PM
RSeb
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

you cant join after 28, and as for bank holidays? i get all of em off, my average week is 3 and a half days work when you take sport, phys etc in to account, late start mon early finish fri so you can get away to see ur family if ur single,

i'm maried and pay 250 quid a month for a two bedroom semi!!! there are no downsides yeah you get fecked about a bit sometimes but life is so cheap for a squaddie it all balances itself out, you get paid like a popstar to put up wiv the bullsh1t,

if ur good at a sport you hardly in work cos ur representing the regt at it or trainin,

you get paid to go adventure training you get paid to further ur education (i will leave with a BTEC HND in Electronics Engineering, and i got paid all the way thru it) ur laughin when you leave cos people beg you to work for em you get a phat pension and a once in a lifetime experience that changes ur hole attitude toward life and moulds ur character into a strong one.

it is a more or less 9 to 5 job just every now and then ur expected to give up ur time to go on exercise or go on tour, which again builds ur character and gets you away from the mrs for a break!! and they pay you extra to do it!!

if ur thinking about it then you may aswell do it, if you don't you'll regret not trying it out for the rest of ur days

and by the way no offence to the boys above but dont join the RAF, the army is where its at i'll not give my opinions why so as not to offend

just get on with it you've nothing to loose

PS I am 24 maried and been in 4 years with a baby on the way

Old 27-06-2005, 04:25 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What regt you in RSeb
Old 27-06-2005, 04:28 PM
RSeb

REME

left 27 regt aldershot in oct 04, to retrade as electronics tech, on my course at arborfield at the mo
Old 27-06-2005, 04:33 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

27 regt RLC pretty poop there mate (thats only my opinion though) i got out last year my last unit was 13 Air assault Regt (pretty poop there aswell)
Old 27-06-2005, 04:36 PM
RSeb

yeah any transport regt is gonna be sh1t really, i'm trying to convince the bread knife to go out to germany on my next posting, light armoured inf or similar will do me
Old 27-06-2005, 04:47 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sunny 7yrs out there in Bielefeld, saying that about transport regt mate i was a driver ha ha ha ha so i had no choice , but you cant go wrong out there in Germany i loved every min of it
Old 27-06-2005, 07:06 PM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

James don't join up as a chef as it's fookin shit
I'll be at the next Pf meet in Southend, so if you are there I'll give you a few pointers on what to go for so you don't get fucked over in the careers office.

I'd even pop along with you if you want as I believe there is one in Colchester?
Old 27-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my cousin was ion germany for 4 years, he never had it so good and when he came back the money drop was ment to be quite bad
Old 27-06-2005, 08:04 PM
HYBRiD_T
Regular Contributor

13 million pound sinking ship simulator, getting C S gassed, shooting SA 80 machine guns, training with the Marines, assault courses, my first parachute jump etc...

I joined the Royal Navy in May 2002 to train to be an Aircraft Engineering Mechanic because I wanted to work on Harriers. How gutted was I when I found out they were scrapping them and buying the joint strike fighter, which we were not allowed to train on.

I did 8 weeks basic training at HMS Raleigh in Plymouth then moved to HMS Sultan in Portsmouth to continue with my training.

The cut off age for joining the Navy is 33.

You need no qualifications to join the Army, some for the Navy and more for the RAF.

The RAF wouldn't let me join because I had no Maths GCSE.

You get 6 months to decide whether you want to stay in the Navy.

I PVR'd (pre voluntary release) after 5 months and I will never forget or regret the experience of being in the Navy.

If my family and mates wern't so far away from the Navy bases I probably would still be there.

Met some funny, amazing people and some wankers but still its worth a try! Looks bloody good on your CV too!

In my opinion being in the forces is a way of life, not a job!
Old 27-06-2005, 08:49 PM
hodgie
PassionFord Regular

I'm currently in the army and have been since 1997 but havee recently signed off so have got just less than a year too push, It's like any job though has it's ups and downs but in my eyes now the downs far out number the up's, the only reason i have stayed so long is i got married and had a kid so the security was good, i personaly would'nt advise anybody to join up now it's changed so much ( for the Worse) . If you really do want to join up push for something like the REME or the Royal Engineers were you get proper qualifications under your belt.. One thing i will miss is the crack you have with the boys comaradery is a great thing, you would also be better tryibg to push for a posting in germany although you are further away from home you get paid more for it ... and as for what RSeb said about being paid like a pop star ...LMAO... he may get paid well as for any squaddie who has been in a while but the wages when you join are POOR very POOR.. i cant wait to move onto greener pastures...
Old 27-06-2005, 09:02 PM
CasperR

I just left the army and I didn't choose it. But as the others said the army is not a job its a way of life. Wages are poor, but if you get to love it you will work for food and water.. I know I did