General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Police Safety Cameras...

Search this Thread

Old 19-06-2004, 07:02 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Police Safety Cameras...

Just wondering can they only catch you between speed camera signs? Or can they catch you anywhere?

Also just wanna double check.. Gatso's can only catch you driving away from them and not towards them? Right?
Old 19-06-2004, 07:05 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

new gatsos can get you head on,plenty around silverstone way! and its only the fixed sites that need signs!
Old 19-06-2004, 07:42 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers...
Old 19-06-2004, 07:44 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

shit i thought they all had to have signs even mobile sites
Old 19-06-2004, 08:02 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nope,or there would be one every time u saw a cop!
Old 19-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Rs Craig
land of the rising sun

Location: sheffield,home of james toseland world superbike champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

burn the f*ckin lot down i say
Old 19-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

There testing ones in Kent at the moment that can catch you at over a mile away

Good thing all my cars are on false plates
Old 20-06-2004, 10:55 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ballin
shit i thought they all had to have signs even mobile sites
Yeah and me!
Old 20-06-2004, 11:10 AM
BigNige
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Only fixed sites need to be notified

Mobile cameras and plod with Laser DO NOT have to have any signage what so ever

Mnay forces are now positioning front facing cameras WITH rear facing ones too so that when they get the back of the car they also get a pic of the driver now thats a bastad in my opinion

The A132 in wickford has these on it

Nieg
Old 20-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Waws having this discussion with somebody the other day who works for the Herts Safety (*COUGH*) Camera Partnership. He told me Fixed cameras must be signed as must the mobile loactions. The only sites that don't require signage are the piggy hand held gun sites.

Our local paper is claiming that the cameras are saving 100 lives a year. WTF How can they say these accidents wouldn't have happened without the camera's there. Unless the powers that be are saying they have engineered X number of fatal accidents and the camera is designing them out. Total load of f***in' bollocks
Old 20-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

1 . Even if a fixed camera doesn't have a sign it does not mean that any photos it takes of speeding drivers are inadmissable as evidence.

2. So, we have 5000 cameras on our roads at the moment, and in the past year they have saved 100 lives at the places where they are situated. Does this not strike anyone as odd? If cameras are only sited at accident blackspots, why have 5000 cameras only saved 100 lives? At this rate, it will be another 50 years before all 5000 cameras have saved one life each. And this statistic doesn't answer the obvious question which why, if cameras are so good, did the number of people who died on our country's roads last year GO UP? Could the reason why the number of people who died at camera locations went down not be because people chose to take a different route, to avoid the camera in the first place? Or maybe it is because with each new camera brought on line, a traffic cop (a cop who, unlike a speed camera, can detect dangerous and drink driving) is taken off line and so serious offences like these, which are offences which really do kill people, are no longer being detected.

3. Finally, in any motorway road works drivers are bound to come across a sign saying something like "x-thousands of drivers caught speeding here since April." That surely begs the question "and how many people have those drivers speeding here killed then?" The answer will in all probability be "0". Speeding per se does not kill. Its inappropriate speed and driver inattention that is the problem, and neither of these two matters can be detected by a speed camera.

Fuckers.
Old 20-06-2004, 01:42 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
He told me Fixed cameras must be signed as must the mobile loactions. The only sites that don't require signage are the piggy hand held gun sites.
Thats exactly as i understood it to be, it would also fit with where i have seen the "Safety Camera Van" parked up - within a signed stretch of road..
Old 20-06-2004, 02:31 PM
XR4Timan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Thank God we don't have that bullshit in America yet....
Old 20-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by Oranoco
He told me Fixed cameras must be signed as must the mobile loactions. The only sites that don't require signage are the piggy hand held gun sites.
Thats exactly as i understood it to be, it would also fit with where i have seen the "Safety Camera Van" parked up - within a signed stretch of road..
Guidlines only (in attempt to rebut the argument that a speed camera at an accident blackspot serves no purpose if drivers don't see the camera and don't slow down, so the camera must be there for revenue), and is not the law, I'm afraid...
Old 20-06-2004, 08:12 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how can a camera save a life?does it jump in front of you to stop you ploughing through the helpless old lady at 90 mph?NO!!!! it just catches you doing it and tells you 2 weeks later by post!any lives saved there?safety cameras my arse!
Old 20-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok we all know what there about, we cant stop em unless we all sop speeding then we wont get anymore, its only cause we do speed that they issue more

i would like to know do speeders add to the total crimes solved stats, if so then thats even more important as they are abviously gona solve a case with the reg number, = loads of solved crimes

sorry but where being fucked eitherway we look, infact if we all quit our jibs and stopped working then we could move forward again as the whole govenment would crash and then have to restart
Old 20-06-2004, 08:26 PM
XR4Timan

sorry but where being fucked eitherway we look, infact if we all quit our jibs and stopped working then we could move forward again as the whole govenment would crash and then have to restart
Easy way around a Gatso....import an American car and drive around with American reg plates then speed to your heart's content...did that in London...and actually purposely sped past Gatsos with my MIDDLE FINGER extended so the fookers could see
Old 20-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Drifty_Cossy
PassionFord Regular

xr4timan - did you get anything back from it ??
Old 20-06-2004, 10:59 PM
XR4Timan

How?? My car is registered in America?? They won't have the addresses!! Even if they did....how can they give me points??