General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Zetec CGI Block Pistons and Connecting Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 17-02-2019, 06:13 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee read
What is the best head to use? I have heard st170 but can you fit it to a black top bottom end and what sort of power are you looking at with the standard head?
I think Clarke is changing to an ST170 head for the new build as it happens.
Old 17-02-2019, 06:56 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee read
What is the best head to use? I have heard st170 but can you fit it to a black top bottom end and what sort of power are you looking at with the standard head?
st170 head is by far the best flowing head in terms of cfm , has 1mm oversized valves as standard and has redesigned shaped ports to aid flow. You can make this head flow seriously more cfm with the correct work and it will bolt straight onto the blacktop bottom end , it will also bolt onto the silvertop bottom end as well but with mods to the block etc to mount the idler pulley. Also remember there's the choice to fit a 1 mm oversized valves so 2 mm over a standard blacktop or silver top.
The only problem that I've heard with the st170 head is the twist far more easily than normal zetec heads.

AL developments st170 look very nice as do area six motorsports , I know ian has really gone to town on his heads now and things have moved on a long way , plus he knows everything you need to know about zetec turbos

cheers paul
Old 18-02-2019, 10:11 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp

st170 head is by far the best flowing head in terms of cfm , has 1mm oversized valves as standard and has redesigned shaped ports to aid flow. You can make this head flow seriously more cfm with the correct work and it will bolt straight onto the blacktop bottom end , it will also bolt onto the silvertop bottom end as well but with mods to the block etc to mount the idler pulley. Also remember there's the choice to fit a 1 mm oversized valves so 2 mm over a standard blacktop or silver top.
The only problem that I've heard with the st170 head is the twist far more easily than normal zetec heads.

AL developments st170 look very nice as do area six motorsports , I know ian has really gone to town on his heads now and things have moved on a long way , plus he knows everything you need to know about zetec turbos

cheers paul
They are definitely far superior, but whats putting me off at the moment is the ports are slightly higher (or lower) than the Blacktop ports...I know the inlet ports are at a different height, not sure on the exhaust ports...thats whats putting me off using one as I have a Jenvey inlet which is designed for a blacktop
Old 18-02-2019, 10:20 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Exhaust ports are the same and the inlet ports are higher, but not by much. You can port the inlet to suit quite easily.
Old 18-02-2019, 12:57 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

I’ll second that Si. I’ve a jenvey on my st head. Ported our very easily
Old 18-02-2019, 01:42 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Exhaust ports are the same and the inlet ports are higher, but not by much. You can port the inlet to suit quite easily.
Thats good to know...now to know whether my cams or not will work....I think they are for a blacktop...does anyone know if I may be able to use them in a ST170 head?