General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Having a car run in on dyno .

Search this Thread

Old 25-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by turnover
It looks like you’ve made the most of what you have Stu ,and looks fairly efficient ,I know exactly what your saying with some dyno cells ,seen varying sights over the years lol
Thanks,
A dyno is just a tool to measure something. But like a ruler, its only any good if its accurate and, actually far more importantly, REPEATABLE.

The cooling and constant fresh air of the same temperature keeps it repeatable. A good example is a recent BMW M140 we did. Pretty hard to dyno as they have such a strong powerband and the engine bay is so tightly packed that you need good cooling to keep them consistent.... but look how repeatable the dyno is over 6 back to back runs.

The operator fudged the start on one run, but the point is still easy to see. If we tuned that and then saw less (or more) power, we KNOW its a real change.

Some dyno's cant do the same run twice,. let alone six times!
Old 25-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Thanks,
A dyno is just a tool to measure something. But like a ruler, its only any good if its accurate and, actually far more importantly, REPEATABLE.

The cooling and constant fresh air of the same temperature keeps it repeatable. A good example is a recent BMW M140 we did. Pretty hard to dyno as they have such a strong powerband and the engine bay is so tightly packed that you need good cooling to keep them consistent.... but look how repeatable the dyno is over 6 back to back runs.

The operator fudged the start on one run, but the point is still easy to see. If we tuned that and then saw less (or more) power, we KNOW its a real change.

Some dyno's cant do the same run twice,. let alone six times!

Stu so wish I had the time to come to you for My frs mk2 as I've looked into revo ECT and there are to many cracked pistons and knackered ring lans lol can you verify the need for a fuel pump between 380 but and 400 I already have all the other supporting items and a set of 550cc injectors to go in
Old 25-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
Scan you verify the need for a fuel pump between 380 but and 400 I already have all the other supporting items and a set of 550cc injectors to go in
ok, our take on this is as follows:

Modified pumps:
There are two options:
  • 1 - Standard pressure + Higher flow.
  • 2 - Increased pressure + Higher flow.
The standard pressure uprated pump needs bigger injectors than your 550cc's to make over 400bhp. The higher pressure uprated pump (Ie: Mountune) will make the 400 and more with the 550cc injectors.

In essense, your 550cc's should do 380/390BHP safely but we would prefer to see bigger injectors in there for safety.

We use the Bosch injectors (some use Siemens) and we far prefer the higher pressure pumps that Mountune supply. But they are far from a cheap solution Jay.

All the above info is using our own calibrations. Why does that matter?
It matters because the fuel system is fixed pressure non return and the more boost you run, the less the fuel injectors can flow. Others tunes may vary due to boost pressure used to achive similar end results.

Example:
Our 420PS conversion only uses 22/23 psi.

Old 25-01-2018, 10:10 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

It’s good to still see tuners taking the time to pop on forums and explain stuff like this in great detail
Makes a great read

Thanks Stu
Old 26-01-2018, 06:01 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Yes it is like the stu of old found my fuckin windows yet stu?
Old 27-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I really like threads like this. Top info Stu.