General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

YB Aftermarket engine management suggestion

Old 14-11-2017, 06:43 AM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default YB Aftermarket engine management suggestion

I'm looking to upgrade to a modern engine management system on my cossie and would like some advice and suggestions on who and what to use.
The car is only used on the road as a summer toy running about 400 bhp so I don't need a top of the range Motorsport set up.
I'm looking for a system that starts and runs like a standard car with the upgrades of boost control and some engine safety built in.
I was looking at a Link Fury set up but at £6.5k just a little out of what I Could spend for a management on a toy.
Old 14-11-2017, 06:55 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie51
I'm looking to upgrade to a modern engine management system on my cossie and would like some advice and suggestions on who and what to use.
The car is only used on the road as a summer toy running about 400 bhp so I don't need a top of the range Motorsport set up.
I'm looking for a system that starts and runs like a standard car with the upgrades of boost control and some engine safety built in.
I was looking at a Link Fury set up but at £6.5k just a little out of what I Could spend for a management on a toy.
choose a mapper first and go with what he says.

Mark
Old 14-11-2017, 07:12 AM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
choose a mapper first and go with what he says.

Mark
That sounds like good advice mark. What would you use if I came to you ? And what features and benefits should I be looking for from modern management?
Old 14-11-2017, 08:49 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Im running Omex 600 on mine - have a base map for it already and will get it professionally mapped once its all done
Old 14-11-2017, 09:31 AM
20/20 vision
Regular Contributor

Location: it's not where you are, it's where you've been and where you hope to be
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

mine is on ms3pro which is a megasquirt without the silly name and commercially built to the same standards as any other units. costs about £1100 including 8ft harness (you fit the sensor connectors) and has tons of functions.

mine is using fuel pressure V map pressure checking, oil pressure monitoring, turbo speed sensor, charge cooler water in/out temp, air temp in/out. you can add as many additional inputs as you wish with extension boards. everything also gets logged on an internal sim card too and reviewing the logs is really good for understanding whats going on in the engine.

mine is an early one but the latest one also supports low imp injectors. it will also run weber marelli crank / cam signals so no need for new pulleys etc. the best thing of all however, is that it has blue tooth connectivity and an app for an adroid which lets you send all ecu information to your own custom designed android dash.

it was recently mapped by Stu who hadn't done one before but got the hang of it easily and seemed impressed by it
Old 14-11-2017, 12:44 PM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

I'm currently running Pectel T2 which works well but I'm fed up with no idle control so ticks over at 400 rpm from cold. Replacing failing sensors that seem hard to find apart from cheap copies like 3 bar map sensors.
This is my main reason for wanting to change but would also like something with built in safety to reduce the risk of an engine failure if something packs up.

What I want to know is what works well on a yb engine and who to go to get it fitted and set up !
Old 14-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

I'm currently running Pectel T2 which works well but I'm fed up with no idle control so ticks over at 400 rpm from cold. Replacing failing sensors that seem hard to find apart from cheap copies like 3 bar map sensors.
This is my main reason for wanting to change but would also like something with built in safety to reduce the risk of an engine failure if something packs up.

What I want to know is what works well on a yb engine and who to go to get it fitted and set up !

Where are you in the uk ?
Old 14-11-2017, 01:29 PM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Jay,
Where are you in the uk ?
West Sussex.
Old 14-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Speak to sheady
Old 14-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That sounds like good advice mark. What would you use if I came to you ? And what features and benefits should I be looking for from modern management?
Emtron for me and every function you could want is covered

Mark
Old 14-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
Speak to sheady
Seen as you recommend him jay does that mean he's allowed to post prices up?
Old 14-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Seen as you recommend him jay does that mean he's allowed to post prices up?
lol no I can’t.

Mark
Old 14-11-2017, 10:29 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

£6.5k would imply £6500 ?

That's like 6 thousand, 5 hundred ? Just to be clear on what you wrote ? Retail on a Fury is like £1600, so where is the other £5k going !!

You'd need to be getting a years worth of happy ending massage along with the Link at that price ! lol

As others say, find a tuner/mapper/installer first and discuss with them your needs.

As for safety features, if you want that there is nothing out there better than Syvecs ( Or Life Racing as they make them ).

And as for starting and running like a normal car....again, that will largely come down to the chosen tuner making that happen. Pretty much any ecu out there today should be capable of doing that
Old 15-11-2017, 07:33 AM
McCloud 85
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Life Racing would get my vote. That’s what I want to move mine onto from Omex 600. Mainly for options like drive by wire and engine safety. Syvecs is the same ECU, so either are good options in my view.
Old 15-11-2017, 10:58 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Some of the ecu's between Life and Syvecs are the same, but there are also differing options from both, so one may suit your budget or needs better than the other.

Just a case of sorting out which
Old 23-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Jec1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on life f88 with all new loom to suit
Old 26-11-2017, 09:28 AM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

I have now bought a Link G4+ Fury and loom plus a few other bits from Auto Dynamix so the loom is currently being made to the spec I want and once it turns up I will fit it myself plus a few other upgrades so could take some time hence originally wanting a drive in drive out service due to me not having much spare time to play with the cossie.

Once it's all back together I will look in to who will be doing the mapping but I already have a good idea on that but am open to recommendations if people know anyone that's a wizard at mapping the Link product
Old 26-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

We may be diving in and getting a dyno soon, so be able to do the mapping in house too,but I’m sure you will find someone close to home who is familiar with Link they are very popular
Old 26-11-2017, 10:28 AM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Loomer
We may be diving in and getting a dyno soon, so be able to do the mapping in house too,but I’m sure you will find someone close to home who is familiar with Link they are very popular
Hurry up then James Lol. I'm not rushing to get it all up and running so it could be mapped by Auto Dynamix yet then 👍🏻
Old 26-11-2017, 11:10 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

I have now bought a Link G4+ Fury and loom plus a few other bits from Auto Dynamix so the loom is currently being made to the spec I want and once it turns up I will fit it myself plus a few other upgrades so could take some time hence originally wanting a drive in drive out service due to me not having much spare time to play with the cossie.

Once it's all back together I will look in to who will be doing the mapping but I already have a good idea on that but am open to recommendations if people know anyone that's a wizard at mapping the Link product
I'm sure there are people all over the world...wherever in the world might be local to you though ?

I'm sure even the loom maker could advise ? He's bound to have some feedback from guys he makes looms for ?
Old 26-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Mark Shead did my ECU and mapping, it transformed the car.

Search this Thread