General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Painting the chassis of my 6x6 Defender in Ghana

Search this Thread

Old 15-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Wheely
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the chassis of my 6x6 Defender in Ghana

Hi All,

As you might have read in another thread I am preparing my 6x6 Land Rover Defender for an overland trip across Africa. I am in Ghana at the moment.

The chassis is in great conditions - I want to paint it as i will be staying on the coast for long.

I have found the Jotun products here so will be applying jotamastic-87-aluminium (https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/pr...c-87-aluminium).

The bodyshell is still mounted - the truck will be raised from the ground and the Jotamastic applied in situ

Few questions:

-how shall i prep the surface of the chassis? would a thorough wash with a strong water jet be sufficient or shall i also wire-brush?
-besides the chassis also the external lower part of the bodywork will be painted (the external part of the floor) + the axles - any advice on how to best do that?
-it will be applied with airless gun - anything that I should cover to avoid it painting (e.g. calipers, fuel hoses, ..)
-the local vendor told me that it can be atomised within the cavities (like you'd do with Dinistrol) - what are your thoughts on that?
-Would applying a top-coat have any impact on the resistance of it? I don't mind the cosmetic look

Thanks very much,

Simone