General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tyreweld?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:26 PM
focus on ford
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tyreweld?

Hi All just like to ask, has anyone used the Holts Tyreweld as a temporary repair? and if so dose it work OK? and do you rate it?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

It does work, YES. I found the best product to be SLIME, it comes with an air pump to put it in. When I built my e-chopper I used it to seal the rear rim as I could not get the spokes to hold air no matter what I did, one bottle of that and the tyre has not needed any air in 6 months.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

This is the home made back wheel made from a van wheel that I cut and spoked and used slime to seal.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:05 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

What Toby says. Tyre weld to get you safe in an emergency. Used it a couple of times and it wrecked the tyre so it had to be replaced. But at least I wasn't flattened on the hard shoulder.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 PM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

i like the bike, looks wicked.
The following users liked this post:
Caddyshack (04-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

It does work as long as you only have a small hole in the tyre. If it's a cut then no chance. Plus it will also scrap the tyre, so no chance of having it repaired.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Fartblood
Erect Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Proper tyre weld poses no problem to tyre repairs. Its solluble and just hoses of and is no impediment to an effective repair. The National Tyre Distribution Association endorse it.

Slime is OK, but doesn't inflate the tyre like a tyre weld product does. Put it in a healthy tyre and it holds off punctures, but won't seal them for ever so you're tyre will still go down, just at another time.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:39 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

How do you find the puncture if it isn't visibly obvious if its repaired with tyre weld.

Also have you been near the fumes from a tyre filled with the stuff, horrid stuff.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:21 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by focus on ford
Hi All just like to ask, has anyone used the Holts Tyreweld as a temporary repair? and if so dose it work OK? and do you rate it?
If your tyre is in good condition why not get it repaired properly? Have you not got a spare wheel and tyre? It is not very expensive for a repair and you will know its been done to the right standard. When it comes to tyres I would want to know its safe to use.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Fartblood
Erect Member

Originally Posted by cossynut2
If your tyre is in good condition why not get it repaired properly?
That's not always possible at 2am in December on the hard shoulder of the M42.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM
focus on ford

Thanks for your reply, it is helpful and GREAT bike thanks Geordie Paul..
Old 04-10-2017, 06:04 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by focus on ford
Whether anything works...depends on exactly what you're trying to make it work on.
A small hole, large hole, gash, chunk out of sidewall etc etc etc.

Not all punctures are the same, and you dont mention type o tyre, vehicle, etc.

So it can work in some cases...it others it may not.

A spare wheel tends to work well though
Old 04-10-2017, 07:30 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fartblood
That's not always possible at 2am in December on the hard shoulder of the M42.
Are you driving a car that has no full size or the narrow get you home spare wheel and tyre ? Is it just me or do people drive around with no spare wheel anymore?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:44 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Are you driving a car that has no full size or the narrow get you home spare wheel and tyre ? Is it just me or do people drive around with no spare wheel anymore?
Far too many modern cars dont have one !

And Even more idiots on the road seem incapable of changing one.

And even more again seem incapable of recognising they have a puncture and drive on until the tyre is destroyed and not a flucking chance tyre weld will do anything lol
Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

4 of my cars do not have a spare wheel
Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My cmax has a spare wheel well, but the 3rd row of seats are on top of it so you couldn't get a spare into it if you tried

Fiesta also came with a tin of foam and a compressor, binned that and bought a spare wheel kit for it.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 PM
jonfoc

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
4 of my cars do not have a spare wheel
Alright flash!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by jonfoc
Alright flash!
What? The other 32 have spares , I just got the butler to check.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:05 PM
jonfoc

Old 04-10-2017, 09:31 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Far too many modern cars dont have one !

And Even more idiots on the road seem incapable of changing one.

And even more again seem incapable of recognising they have a puncture and drive on until the tyre is destroyed and not a flucking chance tyre weld will do anything lol
I personally would not have a car without a proper spare wheel and tyre, as you say a lot of drivers by the time they realised they have a puncture its to late anyway as the tyre will be fucked! The chances of you getting a puncture and stopping in time to be able to use tyreweld or some other foam etc safely are pretty remote.
The price of a new car should include a full sized spare wheel and tyre !
Old 06-10-2017, 03:59 PM
focus on ford

I have steel spare, but I had the car on lpg so some of the boot is taking up with the wheel and was just wondering about Tyreweld.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:35 PM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

popped into ford garage today and saw a new fiesta for sale, on the windscreen was list of all the features sat nav, park sensors, aircon, etc and there on the list was a spare wheel! HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED, A SPARE WHEEL A SELLING FEATURE.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:26 PM
st220kyle

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by markie t
popped into ford garage today and saw a new fiesta for sale, on the windscreen was list of all the features sat nav, park sensors, aircon, etc and there on the list was a spare wheel! HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED, A SPARE WHEEL A SELLING FEATURE.
I bet it wasn't even a spare alloy either, probably a shitty little thing about 5" wide
Old 06-10-2017, 07:36 PM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

Originally Posted by st220kyle
I bet it wasn't even a spare alloy either, probably a shitty little thing about 5" wide
yes i forgot to mention its only a spacesaver wheel.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:52 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Our Nissan note didn't come with one, I'm going to get one for it though as the spare wheel well is there
Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes i forgot to mention its only a spacesaver wheel.
The money it costs for a new car these days should include as standard a proper full sized spare wheel.I have never bought a new car but if I was I would insist on it having one. The dealer is not going to turn down a sale for what it would cost them. What has changed that makes dealers think a spare wheel is no longer required?
I have even got 5 alloy wheels and tyres all the same make and size for my Saff!
Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

The money it costs for a new car these days should include as standard a proper full sized spare wheel.I have never bought a new car but if I was I would insist on it having one. The dealer is not going to turn down a sale for what it would cost them. What has changed that makes dealers think a spare wheel is no longer required?
I have even got 5 alloy wheels and tyres all the same make and size for my Saff!
I'm told it's all to do with weight and emissions when they are getting the figures for them
When built
Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 AM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

to be fair in the 90s the wheels and tyres were getting so wide they were taking up to much room compromising luggage space so i can see why they went down the space saver root but as for this expanding foam well what good is it if your tyre is blown or the bead is broke and now you are stranded, surely a safety issue or is this just another [only when it suits ] drawn up by the eu dickheads.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

One of my mates worked on the production line for Transits at Ford. They couldn't work out why the stock take firgures for spare wheels was always out.....until they caught a bloke who was rolling a wheel a week off a roof and bouncing it over a fence, he was selling them in his local.

New Range Rover has full size spare as an option.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:13 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I'm told it's all to do with weight and emissions when they are getting the figures for them
When built
That sounds like a right load of crap,( I dont mean from you) what difference could the weight of a spare wheel and tyre make.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:17 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

One of my mates worked on the production line for Transits at Ford. They couldn't work out why the stock take firgures for spare wheels was always out.....until they caught a bloke who was rolling a wheel a week off a roof and bouncing it over a fence, he was selling them in his local.

Love that story! Serves Ford right for closing the Transit factory in Eastleigh!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:22 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

to be fair in the 90s the wheels and tyres were getting so wide they were taking up to much room compromising luggage space so i can see why they went down the space saver root but as for this expanding foam well what good is it if your tyre is blown or the bead is broke and now you are stranded, surely a safety issue or is this just another [only when it suits ] drawn up by the eu dickheads.
If I had the choice of having a little less luggage space to have a proper full size spare wheel I would go for that every time! I have had a few punctures in various cars and never been stranded or had to call out anyone out as they all had a PROPER spare wheel!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:37 PM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

If I had the choice of having a little less luggage space to have a proper full size spare wheel I would go for that every time! I have had a few punctures in various cars and never been stranded or had to call out anyone out as they all had a PROPER spare wheel!
i remember in the 70s regularly seeing the rover 3500 p6 with the wheel in a cover mounted on the top of boot, cant of seen anything out the mirror, i dont recall any other cars from this era doing this.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Fartblood
Erect Member

I had a P6. The boot mount was an official factory accessory. I don't know why they bothered because the boot was huge and swallowed the spare wheel, so that's where mine stayed.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

Originally Posted by Fartblood
I had a P6. The boot mount was an official factory accessory. I don't know why they bothered because the boot was huge and swallowed the spare wheel, so that's where mine stayed.
yes the boot was massive , why they did this i dont know as i dont think any other makes were, seem to remember a plastic cap in the center of the boot with a viking ship on it, i dont know if im right but im sure my dads p6 had a fuel reserve on the center consul that you pulled out, i think like the choke one, never seen a reserve on a car before, i might be wrong so please forgive as this was over 45 years ago when i was an ankle biter and it might of been for the heater.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Fartblood
Erect Member

In had a V8, the auto, not the manual S, and I don't recall it having anything like that, but mine went in 2003. I would rather like another, and keep my eyes peeled.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:35 AM
visa_broke

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

You have too many toys

I've just been out and bought a new daily driver this week, me and the wife was showing her dad it and we found out it actually has a spare. They looked proper shocked, both there 2016 cars don't. My 2003 audi thats just been put up for sale should have if the previous owner hadn't robbed it before I got it. I nearly needed it one night but managed to limp the car home, sounded like i'd put a cv joint out and found a huge bolt in the rear tyre.

One of the reasons I've been looking into hidden air ride tanks for a project so I get to keep the boot space and the spare.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:20 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i just had to use this tyreweld yesterday as the tyre place would not repair the tyre as it was over 6cm and they said it on its last legs but there was plenty of tread left and it was a Good Year tyre so I whacked some tyreweld and its been fine since.

Would only recommend it on tyres that are at the end of their life really as it destroys the inside of the tyre.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:24 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Love that story! Serves Ford right for closing the Transit factory in Eastleigh!

Maybe he was the cause of it closing lol.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:04 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by R4N SS
i just had to use this tyreweld yesterday as the tyre place would not repair the tyre as it was over 6cm and they said it on its last legs but there was plenty of tread left and it was a Good Year tyre so I whacked some tyreweld and its been fine since.

Would only recommend it on tyres that are at the end of their life really as it destroys the inside of the tyre.
Your call but the tyre place who are the experts said they would not repair it as it would be unsafe but you have put all your faith in a can of tyreweld! Good luck but I wouldnt fancy being sat next to you in the passenger seat doing 70mph down a Motorway!!