General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tyreweld?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Agree with cosynut, I wouldn't drive it if the tyre shop said no.

Also agreed on the transit line closing, my mate was properly gutted, been there years and he drove a transit to work which says it all.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

To be fair it is a worry and i will be changing the tyre as I travel up and down the motorway every week
Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Your call but the tyre place who are the experts said they would not repair it as it would be unsafe but you have put all your faith in a can of tyreweld! Good luck but I wouldnt fancy being sat next to you in the passenger seat doing 70mph down a Motorway!!

It has to be said though, some tyre places are total retards.

The shit I've had some try and spiel to either me, or I've overheard them telling other customers....really defies belief.

And many will simply say they wont repair, because they want to sell you a new tyre.

And a small hole repaired with tyre weld, is still probably safer than half the fucking arseholes who drive forever with a spacesaver on, at far higher speeds than they're rated for.

And I have never once heard of the police prosecuting any of them for it, as clearly that is effectively driving with a defective tyre AND dangerous driving.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:25 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

A friend of mine was fined for it. One of his wheels was damaged so had the spacesaver on, had been on for about 6 months and was pulled over more than a couple of times by the same copper

Afraid it's too long ago for me to remember what the fine was or what clause of the policeman's rule book it was under.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

I work for a big firm that sell a lot of tyres and it's company policy to not repair tyres that have had the tyre weld or equivalent added to them.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Fartblood
Erect Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And I have never once heard of the police prosecuting any of them for it, as clearly that is effectively driving with a defective tyre AND dangerous driving.
I know a copper who noticed another copper had turned up for work two days running on a spacesaver who was most happy to send them off to court for it.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:55 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

The shit I've had some try and spiel to either me, or I've overheard them telling other customers....really defies belief.

And many will simply say they wont repair, because they want to sell you a new tyre.

And a small hole repaired with tyre weld, is still probably safer than half the fucking arseholes who drive forever with a spacesaver on, at far higher speeds than they're rated for.

Back to what I have been saying , every car should have a proper sized spare wheel and tyre, nothing else is the right thing, only a piss poor compromise!!
Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
A friend of mine was fined for it. One of his wheels was damaged so had the spacesaver on, had been on for about 6 months and was pulled over more than a couple of times by the same copper

Afraid it's too long ago for me to remember what the fine was or what clause of the policeman's rule book it was under.
What sort of idiot drives around with a useless space saver on for 6 months!!!!
Good job he didnt get another puncture cos he would have been fucked!!
Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

They trried to sel.l some shitty tyre for £105 I politely told them i will buy it online and get someone to fit it as not paying that