General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

£115k rs500

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:48 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default £115k rs500

blimey :shoc ked:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/car...ssal-115K.html
Old 02-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

around 123K with fees
Old 02-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Would love to get some comments/opinions from Mr.RS500 on this
Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

It doesn't surprise me

1 owner

11k miles
​if I had a million in the bank it would be sitting in my garage now lol
Old 02-08-2017, 04:35 PM
3drRich
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Was this the same auction that Tim Harvey's labatts rs500 was in? anyone know what It made?
Old 02-08-2017, 05:41 PM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

pay all that money and you wont want to use it because of the mileage, pointless really.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by james kiely
It doesn't surprise me

1 owner

11k miles
​if I had a million in the bank it would be sitting in my garage now lol
Thats the point, would you ever drive it out of your garage?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

I certainly wouldn't,but I could look at it all day lol
Old 03-08-2017, 02:23 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Music is going to stop soon in the classic car bubble, feel sorry for whoever is holding the parcel when it does!!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Yerp these prices are just getting silly.

Its just a shame these cars will never get driven and are just life size models for very rich people.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

A 280 brooklands capri made 55 grand at the same auction and a focus rs500 made over 50 grand too and it's steering wheel is on the wrong side I was thinking of selling my 2.8i capri, I may just sit on it a bit longer

A pug 205 gti made 38 grand

Lotus Carlton made 78 grand

Last edited by charlie luciano; 03-08-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

A car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I do wonder if it will last, but these cars can't really be considered in the same context as other cars on the market. They're super-low mileage collector's items. The guys that move in these circles are mega rich, so most of this stuff is probably pocket change to them.

It is a bit of a crime that these cars have barely been used, but probably less of a crime when most of the ones that have done north of 100k aren't driven either
Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Music is going to stop soon in the classic car bubble, feel sorry for whoever is holding the parcel when it does!!
Only takes another recession
Old 03-08-2017, 01:15 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Only the tarted up munters or those with questionable history will drop like a stone. Like all these £20-25k saphs that are in reality £3k scrappers tarted up like triggers broom and 'tuned'.

The top bollocks cars with provenance, total originality and low miles will always fetch top dollar.

You'll never see that RS500 back down below £80k even if we had a nuclear holocaust.....
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Only the tarted up munters or those with questionable history will drop like a stone. Like all these £20-25k saphs that are in reality £3k scrappers tarted up like triggers broom and 'tuned'.

The top bollocks cars with provenance, total originality and low miles will always fetch top dollar.

You'll never see that RS500 back down below £80k even if we had a nuclear holocaust.....
Spot on
Old 03-08-2017, 10:52 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I think a lot of people with money are putting money into cars as money in the bank earns you nothing. Money in classic or rare cars is doing really well at the moment. How many of these buyers are enthusiasts or smart investors who knows. But if interest rates go up and money in the bank becomes viable again will people still invest in cars? Also the younger generation don't have a clue or care what a Ford sierra is so will they be worth big money to them or even sell to them as investors get older and want to release there money?

Last edited by ajamesc; 03-08-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by ajamesc
I think a lot of people with money are putting money into cars as money in the bank earns you nothing. Money in classic or rare cars is doing really well at the moment. How many of these buyers are enthusiasts or smart investors who knows. But if interest rates go up and money in the bank becomes viable again will people still invest in cars? Also the younger generation don't have a clue or care what a Ford sierra is so will they be worth big money to them or even sell to them as investors get older and want to release there money?
That's it there's a lot of people who are in their 40's/50's who love really old cars but very few who are in their 20'/30's who are interested enough to pay that level of cash. So I do wonder in 30 years time who is going to care about an rs500?

All about golf r's and Audi rs's these days.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:52 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

Anybody think the price this has sold for will possibly bring the price down on the rest?
its a possibility current owners will know about this and if they were thinking of selling will put theirs up for sale and then there will be some choice for potential buyers.
i actually thought this car would bring more,low miles,original,1 owner,interesting story behind it so I'm a bit surprised it didn't go for a good bit more.
only takes 2 bidders I suppose,wonder if it's joining company with the 54k s1 Rs turbo?
Old 04-08-2017, 01:49 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Adam-M
That's it there's a lot of people who are in their 40's/50's who love really old cars but very few who are in their 20'/30's who are interested enough to pay that level of cash. So I do wonder in 30 years time who is going to care about an rs500?

I doubt it, people of our generation are buying fast vintage cars from every era, its not like vintage sports cars/saloons from before the 80's aren't selling
Old 04-08-2017, 02:28 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When we have a huge crash (and it will happen, it always does) prices for everything except the best of the best will plummet, look at the market around 2007/8.... Once interest rates go back up (again, they will), there will be a lot of people holding cars they have waaaaay overpaid for, with no one able/willing to buy them.

Of course, people will never look at the possible negatives & continue the wild speculation until it all comes crashing down
Old 04-08-2017, 02:40 PM
It's Czech Mate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1826989167...c=1&rmvSB=true
Old 04-08-2017, 03:25 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I think as soon as u worry about the value of your car it takes the fun out of ownership for me, I just want to drive the bugger and have fun with it, zero interest in it being an ornament, but then that's my view, each to their own and all that. Went to my local rs club meet last night and apart from my saph and an Escos everyone else was in their daily drivers as they spotted a couple of clouds in the distance couldn't cope with that paranoia
Old 04-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
I doubt it, people of our generation are buying fast vintage cars from every era, its not like vintage sports cars/saloons from before the 80's aren't selling
Yeah but once your generation gets too old to buy those cars my generation won't give a toss, well not to the extent where they will pay a mortgage to own one.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Fast vintage cars will always be worth a premium but I think the 80's hot hatch car values is a relatively new thing. The older Ferrari's Lamborghini's porches merc's bmw's are a little different to Ford sierras. The younger guys from work can real off old Ferrari marks but as I say have zero idea what a cosworth is
Old 04-08-2017, 09:52 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I think as soon as u worry about the value of your car it takes the fun out of ownership for me, I just want to drive the bugger and have fun with it, zero interest in it being an ornament, but then that's my view, each to their own and all that. Went to my local rs club meet last night and apart from my saph and an Escos everyone else was in their daily drivers as they spotted a couple of clouds in the distance couldn't cope with that paranoia
The only thing with me regarding value is just making sure that the agreed value on my insurance would cover the cost of finding another Saff, in the event of mine being stolen or written off. One in as good rust free condition as mine and paying for all the modifications I have done over the past 22 years would cost all of the £23k that I would get.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:52 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossynut2
The only thing with me regarding value is just making sure that the agreed value on my insurance would cover the cost of finding another Saff, in the event of mine being stolen or written off. One in as good rust free condition as mine and paying for all the modifications I have done over the past 22 years would cost all of the £23k that I would get.
Yeah same here mate I have an agreed value too
As I'd never be able to afford another one without the insurance money
Old 05-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Are they actually agreed valuations or just the value you told them you think it's worth? I'm just curious to wether you would get that amount if the worst happened or if they would just drag their heals.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:57 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Are they actually agreed valuations or just the value you told them you think it's worth? I'm just curious to wether you would get that amount if the worst happened or if they would just drag their heals.
that's one thing to be very careful off. Adrian flux shafted me years ago when I thought I had an agreed value .
Old 05-08-2017, 11:25 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have asked this specific question each time I have re-newed my cover and been told that is the amount I will be paid in the event my car is stolen/not recovered or written off by a crash or fire. It is also written in the insurance documents so I am confident if the worst did happen at least I would have enough money to start again.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:16 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have asked this specific question each time I have re-newed my cover and been told that is the amount I will be paid in the event my car is stolen/not recovered or written off by a crash or fire. It is also written in the insurance documents so I am confident if the worst did happen at least I would have enough money to start again.
Same here
Old 06-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree, I bought my 3dr just before the prices went up, which was lucky from my point of view I guess Lol, but I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it cos I like it and I wanted one, but every time I'm out in it, inevitably someone will get chatting to me, and one of the first questions that they ask is, how much is it worth? Lol

I've recently come off Facebook but when I was on there, I was on a few of the Ford related pages, and every time there was a link to an old Ford for sale, especially cossies or rs turbos, pretty much all of the comments would be about the value of them, doesn't seem to happen other makes, BMW M3 evo, Lancia delta intergrale etc, they're both on a par with a 3dr/rs500 money wise now but people don't seem to have a problem with that, just find it odd
Old 06-08-2017, 09:34 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Karl 3dr
I agree, I bought my 3dr just before the prices went up, which was lucky from my point of view I guess Lol, but I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it cos I like it and I wanted one, but every time I'm out in it, inevitably someone will get chatting to me, and one of the first questions that they ask is, how much is it worth? Lol

I've recently come off Facebook but when I was on there, I was on a few of the Ford related pages, and every time there was a link to an old Ford for sale, especially cossies or rs turbos, pretty much all of the comments would be about the value of them, doesn't seem to happen other makes, BMW M3 evo, Lancia delta intergrale etc, they're both on a par with a 3dr/rs500 money wise now but people don't seem to have a problem with that, just find it odd
That's the only one of two questions I get asked when people talk to me about my car, it's always "what bhp is it" and "how much is it worth", my answer to both is I don't know I just enjoy it, they don't have any questions after that and look disappointed
Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's the only one of two questions I get asked when people talk to me about my car, it's always "what bhp is it" and "how much is it worth", my answer to both is I don't know I just enjoy it, they don't have any questions after that and look disappointed
When I take my Saff to any shows I have an information sheet with all the info on what I have done to it over the years for people to read but still get lots of people asking questions about it. Not many ask what its worth but I have had a few asking is it for sale!
It always gets a lot of attention and good comments about it from people of all ages.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:58 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When I take my Saff to any shows I have an information sheet with all the info on what I have done to it over the years for people to read but still get lots of people asking questions about it. Not many ask what its worth but I have had a few asking is it for sale!
It always gets a lot of attention and good comments about it from people of all ages.
People just tend to agree with me that mines a pile of scrap lol
Old 06-08-2017, 03:37 PM
It's Czech Mate

Yeah but once your generation gets too old to buy those cars my generation won't give a toss, well not to the extent where they will pay a mortgage to own one.
I don't follow

People from my generation pay fortunes for cars from 1900's 1910's 1920's 1930's 1940's 1950's 1960's 1980's

Are you saying that all that will stop after the next generation?

I don't think so.....
Old 06-08-2017, 10:12 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

People just tend to agree with me that mines a pile of scrap lol
I am sure yours cant be to bad, post up some pics so we can have a look.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:58 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I am sure yours cant be to bad, post up some pics so we can have a look.
Lol no to be fair
Mate she's a solid old girl and apart from a new wing due to damage it's never been welded and waxoyled from new,
Just paints and body work is a shocker!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:19 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

i think you might have a point there. allot of the younger generation arnt sure what a sierra cosworth is. if its not an rs focus or an st they dont seem intrested which arround my area there seems to be allot recently purchased especially in the last couple of years you cant go anywhere without seeing a couple. even such a small area where i live theres plenty of these green or orange rs focus but there mega bucks still or is to me. but what is this going to mean price wise for the older stuff like saffs in good nick that arnt concorse. ive restored old stuff at garages ive worked in i mean early 1900`s cars and think what is the attraction with this but if i came from that era and theres horses for courses of course i wouldnt give them rat shit for them. is this going to be the same for the average saff in very good nick
Old 07-08-2017, 08:43 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

there are 3 blue mk3 focus rs that are round my way, plus a few more grey ones

but folks have lambos and ferrari's and range rovers and big audi q7's and the like, all of them much more money than a shonky ford you can get on finance
Old 08-08-2017, 01:52 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

i don't agree with the golf or audi comment specifically but i do agree that there is a finite timescale for these cars.

80's cars that are booming now are being purchased by those in their 40's with expendable income.

in 30 years time people will be paying fortunes for golf clubsport S's and focus RS mk3 (epscially if a limited one comes out)

just look at 60's car's the interest on those is dropping as the people who remember them fondly start to die unfortunately.