General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mk2 Focus ST vs BMW 330d

Search this Thread

Old 21-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Golf R's are by a mile the best car in that sector of the market
Old 21-08-2017, 10:24 PM
The Crocodile Hunter
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

In all fairness that fast one is not really relevant to 99.9% of them.

Isn't a golf r basically the same thing as an s3? And an rs3 is a step up again?
Old 22-08-2017, 07:50 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullflush
Almost up to the standards of a mk4 diesel gti

The following users liked this post:
burnzy (22-08-2017)
Old 22-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm surprised at the negativity towards Audi's, the wife's car is a B8.5 3.0 A5 Quattro Convertible which we have owned for a couple of years and its been perfect, a really well screwed together car in our experience.

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 22-08-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 22-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullflush
Not what the mag thinks.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fo...-r-vs-audi-rs3

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...ar-march-2016/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...lf-r-twin-test
Old 22-08-2017, 12:08 PM
It's Czech Mate

The trouble with the RS is that the seats are too high, the cabin is plain nasty and theres a lot of them with faults.........and the deluded owners think they're still worth Ł30k despite the fact they aren't limited in numbers.

i'd have one for a weekend car but i couldn't live with one daily. And then if it was just for the weekend there's a lot better/more fun places to stick your Ł30k
Old 22-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Without driving one myself i wouldnt like to think what they are like to live with.

Ive never sat in one ether so i dont know what the driving postiton is like.
Old 22-08-2017, 10:28 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
I'm surprised at the negativity towards Audi's, the wife's car is a B8.5 3.0 A5 Quattro Convertible which we have owned for a couple of years and its been perfect, a really well screwed together car in our experience.
Probably because they've become some sort of status symbol for the sort of people that everyone loves to hate. I think we as a rule have become totally obsessed with status when it comes to cars. I met a girl the other week who had broken down in her Audi (only a puncture I might add) and she pays some astronomical amount on finance every month to have this car and she said she struggles to afford it and I said why do u have it then? Her response of "well all my mates and work colleagues have them" said all I needed to know!
Old 23-08-2017, 06:08 AM
The Crocodile Hunter
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Probably because they've become some sort of status symbol for the sort of people that everyone loves to hate. I think we as a rule have become totally obsessed with status when it comes to cars. I met a girl the other week who had broken down in her Audi (only a puncture I might add) and she pays some astronomical amount on finance every month to have this car and she said she struggles to afford it and I said why do u have it then? Her response of "well all my mates and work colleagues have them" said all I needed to know!
I think that pretty much sums up society today really.

Most people who think like this wouldn't be seen dead in a Seat Ibiza over their A1 when ultimately its exactly the same thing. Its just perceived image.

Don't get me wrong, they also make some lovely cars such as the quattro 3L A5 mentioned above but the vast majority of people aren't interested in any of that and its all about the image
Old 23-08-2017, 07:10 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Probably because they've become some sort of status symbol for the sort of people that everyone loves to hate. !
Blinkered view in my opinion, we bought ours because we like the look of it and not because we want to stick it to the neighbours. We only ended up buying the one with the bigger engine as the 2 litre we test drove was gutless.
Old 23-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Blinkered view in my opinion, we bought ours because we like the look of it and not because we want to stick it to the neighbours. We only ended up buying the one with the bigger engine as the 2 litre we test drove was gutless.
That's the way it should be, you buy the car because you like it

Unfortunately a lot of people that I talk to who drive Audi/BMW/Mercedes etc only buy them because of what badge is on the thing! I went out to one lady with a rusty old Mercedes CLK say to me that she could never own anything less than a Merc because of what people might think! The thing was literally falling to bits but it's ok because it's a Mercedes!
Old 23-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Badge snobs lol.

Some people want these cars cause they like them and others buy these cars to show off imo.

Years ago i used to see young lads in fiestas,clios corsas. Now there in Audis bms and mercs. I wish i could of afford to own or pay finance (more like it) to drive about in these posh cars.

I remember going to silverstone classics and i walking into the BMW oc stand. They had a posh tent up with facts about the cars. One of them members got talking to me about cars. He asked if i owned a bmw and i said no i own a saff cossie. He just turned round and walked away from me.

Anyway as said before we are way off topic now. The thread was about a bm vs focus st.

Last edited by Glenn_; 23-08-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 23-08-2017, 09:45 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You could be right there mate but the people who are buying certain cars they can I'll afford just to "keep up with the joneses" are the sort I was thinking about. Like my neighbour with the Range Rover who can barely afford to put Chinese ditch finder mis matched tyres on it as in her words "I loved it when I put on Facebook our new car, people were so jealous". SAys it all really
Old 23-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

You could be right there mate but the people who are buying certain cars they can I'll afford just to "keep up with the joneses" are the sort I was thinking about. Like my neighbour with the Range Rover who can barely afford to put Chinese ditch finder mis matched tyres on it as in her words "I loved it when I put on Facebook our new car, people were so jealous". SAys it all really
You're basing this on a few individuals not everyone, I'm guessing most who buy just want a high quality car that they like the look of that's properly screwed together.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Glenn_
He asked if i owned a bmw and i said no i own a saff cossie. He just turned round and walked away from me.

Hahaha!! You'd get that reaction off anyone, he prob thought you were a taxi driver.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:41 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Says the bloke with a lambo do you even have neighbours?
Glenn_ (23-08-2017)
Old 23-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Hahaha!! You'd get that reaction off anyone, he prob thought you were a taxi driver.
A fookin fast taxi driver ha ha.

I would defo own a Audi RS4 the 54 reg shape. Could i afford to maintain it. Probably not.

I would defo own a Evo8. Could i afford to maintain it. Probably not.

I would defo own a C63 amg merc. As above lol.

So yeh i will stick with my donkey fords which i can afford to maintain and repair myself.
Old 23-08-2017, 04:16 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You're basing this on a few individuals not everyone, I'm guessing most who buy just want a high quality car that they like the look of that's properly screwed together.
Just basing it on my own personal experience truth be told matey
Old 23-08-2017, 04:45 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow this really has gone off topic
Old 23-08-2017, 04:55 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Why is that such an issue?

Conversation is organic, it takes what ever path that is put down, unless it's a DIY or something that really needs to be kept clean then I can see a reason why, but some random thread whether people prefer one car or not is hardly worth saving, he's already bought a car so certainly not bothered about what's been written now
Glenn_ (23-08-2017)
Old 23-08-2017, 07:37 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles

Conversation is organic, it takes what ever path that is put down, unless it's a DIY or something that really needs to be kept clean then I can see a reason why, but some random thread whether people prefer one car or not is hardly worth saving, he's already bought a car so certainly not bothered about what's been written now
Couldn't have said it better myself matey
Old 23-08-2017, 11:29 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles

It's not an issue, I'm not that sad!
It was me who started the thread and who bought the bmw. I was just a little surprised at how far off topic the thread has gone. Didn't expect it to generate so much interest. Interesting reading though.
Old 24-08-2017, 05:22 AM
burnzy
burnzy

I probably took your comment out of context to be fair, at the end of the day a bunch of blokes getting together and having a chat is always going to go wayward like when your in the pub, I've had some right odd ball chats with my friends and complete strangers
Old 24-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Exactly its only a bit of banter.
Old 24-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

I wouldn't own a German car due to what I see come in for repairs and in 2 other garages and it seems the newest models are getting worse built the newer they are . Funny thing is which is also weird out of the Audi group seat and Skoda seem to be a lot more reliable than the rest .
Old 24-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Skodas are pretty decent tbh, I do agree some modern cars are not designed properly, just look at the new focus rs there seems to be some problems with cracked blocks and I don't think the running gear can handle anymore than standard. You'd think by this day and age you'd know exactly what material you can use for what purpose. I remember seeing an ecoboost block on display at ford fair and there's no suprise it could have issues when you see it.
Old 24-08-2017, 06:33 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Skodas are pretty decent tbh, I do agree some modern cars are not designed properly, just look at the new focus rs there seems to be some problems with cracked blocks and I don't think the running gear can handle anymore than standard. You'd think by this day and age you'd know exactly what material you can use for what purpose. I remember seeing an ecoboost block on display at ford fair and there's no suprise it could have issues when you see it.
Originally Posted by Jay,
I wouldn't own a German car due to what I see come in for repairs and in 2 other garages and it seems the newest models are getting worse built the newer they are . Funny thing is which is also weird out of the Audi group seat and Skoda seem to be a lot more reliable than the rest .
Funny you guys say that skodas seem to be bomb proof! Only ever get them with clutches, ball joints gone or battery dead
Old 24-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

See i don't understand this problem with the cracked blocks. The focus rs was tested for years so i thought they would of came over this problem and sorted it.
Old 24-08-2017, 08:30 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Funny you guys say that skodas seem to be bomb proof! Only ever get them with clutches, ball joints gone or battery dead
Because your average Skoda driver is 73 years old, drives it 11 miles a year, mostly everywhere in 3rd gear slipping the clutch like mad, just like my dad in his Octavia
Old 24-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
See i don't understand this problem with the cracked blocks. The focus rs was tested for years so i thought they would of came over this problem and sorted it.
I don't think it was tested for years, I haven't looked into the problem as I'm not all that interested, it's just something that you come across on forums ect. I'm no expert but I noticed they have that groove machined in between each cylinder which I'm pretty sure the old focus st had and that contributed to them cracking liners?? Is that the groove that people put an insert into?

The block was heavily open deck
Old 25-08-2017, 06:03 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I thought the focus rs was tested for years to make sure everything was right with the car ie the suspension and 4wd system and so on.

I like the newer Fords but when there featured in fast ford i dont read about them cause im not that interested in them.
Old 25-08-2017, 08:07 AM
It's Czech Mate

That's not unreliable though is it, its just consumables.....

They don't seem to be that watertight on some models too but my overall experience with them is good. Most of my extended family drive Skodas now......except me
Old 25-08-2017, 12:40 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
That's not unreliable though is it, its just consumables.....

They don't seem to be that watertight on some models too but my overall experience with them is good. Most of my extended family drive Skodas now......except me
I didn't say they were unreliable I said they were bomb proof buddy, I was highlighting that it's only normal wear and tear items I see need doing on them
It's Czech Mate (25-08-2017)
Old 28-08-2017, 10:32 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't think it was tested for years, I haven't looked into the problem as I'm not all that interested, it's just something that you come across on forums ect. I'm no expert but I noticed they have that groove machined in between each cylinder which I'm pretty sure the old focus st had and that contributed to them cracking liners?? Is that the groove that people put an insert into?

The block was heavily open deck
I personally preferred the MK2, with the modular 5 pot and in ultimate green.

Are these reports with tuned examples?

Martin
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Well after many time wasters and deals that have fallen through, the ST finally sold today. And I'm really pleased that it's going to a proper ford enthusiast who will care for it as I have. The chap has a mint Mk1 escort Mexico that he has invited me over to see and also a new focus RS as his daily which he has also offered me a go in
Also he only lives the other side of town so if and when he decides to sell it, there maybe the opportunity to buy it back one day.
Just so glad it's going to a good home. I would've hated to sell it to some chav who would just abuse it and probably kill it.
Tomorrow is gonna be a sad day though when he comes back to pick it up
Old 06-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

So is the ST taking over daily drive duties from his New focus rs???
Old 06-09-2017, 01:17 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

No the ST is gonna be his mrs daily.