General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Supra diff kit who from and how much

Search this Thread

Old 18-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Another question: my oppliger box has unrated viscous coupling, does this mean more power goes to rear than standard? I am sure Bara quoted x newton metres uprated?
Old 19-08-2017, 05:53 PM
nixon_2wd
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good Caddyshack. Thats what Im talking about.

How much are the diff covers then? Are the new kits supplied with the covers, or the old style hanger?
Old 19-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by nixon_2wd
Looks good Caddyshack. Thats what Im talking about.

How much are the diff covers then? Are the new kits supplied with the covers, or the old style hanger?
If you order a diff kit you still need to order the cover.

This has always been the case though. I also think you need a diff hanger.

Don't know prices

Last edited by Caddyshack; 19-08-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 20-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
My subconscious worked out what I was thinking. It is actually not the same.

In the same scenario the 4wd car at 469 bhp has the other 159 bhp and a chunk of torque still pulling at the front for the same weight, therefore the power to weight and torque to weight of the 310 bhp at the back is significantly different. The 310 rear on the rwd car has more weight to push against (more inertia) so in theory the 310 on the 4wd car has much less work to do to propel the car so with limited grip / excess power the 2wd car is still more likely to spin initially to overcome the inertia of the more work (weight to push).

Playing devils advocate to my argument the 4wd car has less weight in terms of power to weight to push the rear tyres in to the Tarmac so could be more grip limited than the 2wd car.

Also weight transfer on the 2wd would be greater giving more grip. My head hurts now
You are right that the 310 bhp on the rear has less weight to accelerate on the 4wd as it is being helped by the front. This means the rear has an easier life and is therefore less likely to break the diff.

As the 4wd can accelerate faster than the 2wd it will have more weight transfer to the rear so the rear wheels will spin less quickly on the 4wd as on the 2wd. When accelerating there is a lot of weight off the front wheels, so the 4x4 will sooner spin a front wheel.
Old 20-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Another question: my oppliger box has unrated viscous coupling, does this mean more power goes to rear than standard? I am sure Bara quoted x newton metres uprated?

No it still has the same power ratio between front and rear, 34% to the front and 66% to the rear. This distribution depends on the epicyclic gears in the transfer box.

The uprated viscous coupling is able to send more power (compared to the standard viscous coupling) to the slower rotating propshaft when the other propshaft is turning faster due to a spinning wheel. For instance when a front wheel is spinning the centre viscous in the gearbox will send more power to the rear wheels.
Old 20-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I have been amazed that with the quaife front lsd and weir kitted supra diff on 6 degree beam I have found wheelspin on damp patches when accelerating hard (not meaning a launch)
Old 20-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Probably due to tyre size, what size and brand are they?
Old 21-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Only saying as my mate had a version 4 sti type ra and if you where doing 30 and dropped it to 2nd gear it would spin up the tyres and fish tail. That was with 300bhp and cheap tyres.
Old 22-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I have new Toyota proxes on the car, it doesn't help that the 205 only runs a 16 inch wheel and 195 tyres all round plus my gearbox is close ratio and the lower diff ratio too, the car is around 1000kg so not a lot pushing it in to the ground for 500ftlb of torque.

I will try some r888 type tyres but wanted to see if I could get an 8 inch wide rim to sit well on the car and take a wider tyre, if not I may gat a 205 wide on the 7 inch rims.

It doesn't wheelspin in low boost which is around 410 bhp and less torque.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is an MK fitting kit around Ł500, the billet diff cover Ł250, what does a Supra Mk3 diff cost Ł300? I'm really tempted by a Jag 10" crown wheel diff and getting that welded into a beam for less.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mr C
Is an MK fitting kit around Ł500, the billet diff cover Ł250, what does a Supra Mk3 diff cost Ł300? I'm really tempted by a Jag 10" crown wheel diff and getting that welded into a beam for less.

I wouldn't do all that and not have the 6 degree beam or do you have that already?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:27 PM
nixon_2wd

I would never drive around on the streets with a modified rear beam. What happens if one of your joints snap (like the rear covers due to the lack of design analysis performed) and you hit another car head on killing a small family?
I'm not saying they're not good, just not safe for road use.

Last edited by nixon_2wd; 07-09-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by nixon_2wd
I would never drive around on the streets with a modified rear beam. What happens if one of your joints snap (like the rear covers due to the lack of design analysis performed) and you hit another car head on killing a small family?
I'm not saying they're not good, just not safe for road use.

Isn't that the same for anything like adjustable track control arms, suspension or any other mod that could potentially fail, or even a non factory mechanic adjusting or replacing a simple bolt? - I know I have not referred to the torque wrench settings for every bolt I have ever touched.

No rear cover has snapped when done with the billet, it is only ever the standard cover and nobody has crashed or reported any issues other than the breakage.

All this being said I doubt whatever I type is not going to change your mind or the motivation for either of our posts.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do all that and not have the 6 degree beam or do you have that already?
I'm just about to have my 7.5" beam modified to 6deg so may try a Supra bolt in kit as I'm thinking of resale with these parts now, is there more a market for sierra diff beams rather than Supra? and if that works fine for 450lbft/500BHP max that's great, the step after that will be G.box before more power.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:43 PM
nixon_2wd

Much point in paying mechanics to do a job when they're not torqing the bolts down correctly, huh? And people wonder why old cars sound like ratteling shit.

Most airplane crashes are duo to mechanics doing poor repairs, scrap on runways, foreign objects entering engines etc., not the manufactured components braking because of bad design.

OEM suspension components are redundant in that if a bushing fail, the bolt still captures the control arm / trailing arm.
The rose jointed setups fail completely if the rose joints snap where welded in the trailing arm.

You cannot say they are good until you've done a fatigue analysis on them.

Again, I'm not saying they are not a good mod or anything because the rear Cossie suspension geometry sucks.., im just saying they are not safe.

My car is far from standard.. Just letting people know.

Last edited by nixon_2wd; 07-09-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:11 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Too me I'm not fussed how much the supra set up costs lol the diff was cheap the fitting kit 500 odd a full refurbish at Bara with the up rate kit 600 I think?
Mt rear cover 300 I think?. It's peace of mind and it's not going to brake lol the Ford 7.5 inch c.w.p will not take torque I re built mine twice it gets boring fixing the same thing over. Plus for me a Ford 9 inch I can't justify.
As for the mk beam I've one and the quality is spot on I've absolutely zero worries about it failing on the road what a stupid thing to say lol
The following users liked this post:
Caddyshack (07-09-2017)