General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sierra 2.0 DOHC 8V Idle Problem ( HELP )

Search this Thread

Old 23-05-2017, 04:56 PM
davidmcg101
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra 2.0 DOHC 8V Idle Problem ( HELP )

At the moment I have checked the Idle Control Valve and it works perfect. My problem started when the car would idle at 1100rpm. I disconnected the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) It would idle at 800rpm. It runs fine when disconnected but a pig on juice. Got a known working second hand TPS and once I plug that in the car jumps to 1100rpm idle. Once I go to move the throttle cable to rev it it instantly cuts out. Anyone any ideas as to what the problem is ?

While engine is RUNNING I have disconnected the Temp Sensor for hot and cold start. ( Lets ecu know if engine is hot or cold ) and it makes no difference. Does that indicate that the sensor is at fault ?

Thanks
Old 24-05-2017, 10:11 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

If you start unplugging sensors, then you can never expect it to run correctly with them unplugged.
So you're chasing your tail there.

What exactly was the initial problem ? And how are you testing the ICV to say it is working ?

And if the TPS is movable in anyway, is it installed and set correctly ?

You then suggest another running problem, not just idle ? So there are multiple problems here ?
Old 24-05-2017, 09:03 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a look at the small rubber pipe at the bottom of the crank case breather pipe where it joins the PCV out of the crank case. They get cooked by the exhaust and can fail. This leads to a big air leak into the inlet which screws with the idle speed and mixture as it isn't being measured. The hose is about 15 mm diameter and about 30 mm long, surrounded by a sheet metal heat shield.
Old 25-05-2017, 09:15 AM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If car worked fine before this issue then
100% its either pvc breather hose under efi inlet if this is ok its deffo you icv!
My cousin has had same issue changed icv instanlty back to normal
Old 25-05-2017, 05:46 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Breather is a certainly the issue
Not just the rubber pipe though as the metal one can corrode too
Old 26-09-2021, 09:48 AM
luke2020
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

air leaks on vacuum hoses from throttle body and/or inlet manifold to MAP sensor or bypass pipe to IACV or PCV hose.
or tps/iacv/map sensor faulty