General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

TDCI 130bhp engine fitted in 115bhp car

Search this Thread

Old 19-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Progre33
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDCI 130bhp engine fitted in 115bhp car

First post on this forum but comes at a good time as I have a few questions for Ford owner. Hope this is ok here but google lead me to this page

So my 2006 Mondeo engine let go, it's a 115bh 2.0 TDCI (Engine code HJBA)
got recovered to a local garage and they have fitted a replacement 2.0 TDCI but is a 130bhp version.

They said everything was the same apart from the old turbo had a different actuator and the new one was electric so changed the wiring loom for the engine at the same time. Everything plugged in fine and the engine starts up straight away....

....that's where the fun starts, it idles lumpy as hell shaking about, you can hear electronics beeping and possible relays clicking or something. It drives but no power and lots of smoke.

I have a mechanical background and programme ECUs so was thinking of putting a 130 base map on from an electronic turbo model to see if it will cure it...

Whats people's thoughts?
I can only think the electronic turbo actuator is causing the problems
Old 20-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd take it back and tell them to fix it, they haven't given it you in a running state
Old 20-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Progre33
Virgin

They have taken full liability, that's not an issue. Apart from waiting for them to source another engine and the time to refit it etc I would rather fix it myself if it's something people are known to do.

ie a common upgrade for a 130bhp turbo on the 115bhp engine etc...

I think I will backup and save the ecu and flash it with a stock 130bhp map with electronic turbo actuator and see if that cures it, I was just checking incase It's a known easy fix or something.

thanks
Old 21-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Progre33
Virgin

So no one ever done this before? Never fitted a 130 turbo on a 115 engine or swapped to electronic actuator?
Old 23-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as I'm aware the lump is the same. What they should have done is strip both blocks down to a bare lump and install your old turbo, injectors, EGR valve etc etc to the new engine.