General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

St170 issue????? Confused???

Search this Thread

Old 19-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Kiezlucas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St170 issue????? Confused???

ive got and st170 that's got a few issues. One issue is it's got a Miss fire and I can't find what's causing that, anyways I've just put a pod filter on the car and everything seems really good the car is running better than it has and got a lot of throttle response back but it's now doing something new! When im doing about 60-70mph on dual carriageway and coming up to a roundabout I've always coasted and relied on the brakes, well I was coasting up to the roundabout and all of a sudden my battery light comes on oil light comes on and eml come on and I loose power steering? That's never happened before so I'm a little confused how a filter could have done that?? All attached to the maf sensor and runs really really well but when I coast up to a junction it's like it dies? Revs drop too like 200rpm??? Help?
Old 21-04-2017, 09:49 AM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Coil pack on its way out?
Old 21-04-2017, 10:43 AM
t230
PassionFord Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ok so theres an issue similar with RS mk1 - may be irrelevant - but when i tried to bodge the position of the MAF it wouldnt run..in oe position runs perfect

i d say take off filter and fix the original problem...as you say a filter shouldn't cause that
Old 21-04-2017, 12:00 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

I'd check its charging right first if the battery lights on... you'll get all sorts of errors if there's a charging issue.
Old 21-04-2017, 03:21 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by slammedorion
I'd check its charging right first if the battery lights on... you'll get all sorts of errors if there's a charging issue.
Its dropping revs and stalling. I would refit std air filter and try that.
Old 21-04-2017, 05:05 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

dont rate cone filters of any type on a 170 unless its fully closed in with a very good cold air feed, most of the time they add noise and cause more issues than they are worth
Old 21-04-2017, 05:33 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Plugs leads or coilpack will be your misfire problem. Ford leads are over £100 now robbing twats and coilpack is around £85 . I decided to uprate any bit parts or problems I have as the uprated parts are either cheaper or around the same price as ford parts.
I used the msd coilpack and leads from pumaspeed around £140 a lot more reliable and dense iridium plugs and never had any Miss fire issues again and the plugs last 5 years so just take them out every 6 months to give them a light clean up.
As for the cutting out it could be mass airflow sensor problems as iam sure I've read that you can buy a uprated one for use with cone/induction kits as it becomes uncalibrated because of the increased air flow.
I would clean it with carb spray first and see if it's just clogged up with shit.
Hope this helps as st170 are one of the most problematic cars I've ever owned, so many fault etc .

Cheers paul