General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

500+bhp Cosworth engine advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 23-03-2017, 08:57 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotrev
Maybe you've taken what I've said the wrong way mate, not important really especially not too me, my car has an average torque figure for its spec and at only 500hp I love the way it drives.
Seeing as these days what with the Borg Warner turbo take over happening and them turbos producing so much low down torque I find it nice when a little gem like this car turns up.
I would rather have that spec engine in my Sierra than an efr conversion tbh

Cheers Paul
Not having a dig at you as you have already had some disagreements aired on here about engine specifications , but its just that there always seems to be someone saying that no matter what someone has done they should have used the more modern turbos etc.
Would this Dax need any more power or response than its already got, I very much doubt it and If I was the new owner I would be leaving it as it is for as long as possible and just enjoying it.
Old 23-03-2017, 09:01 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Not having a dig at you as you have already had some disagreements aired on here about engine specifications , but its just that there always seems to be someone saying that no matter what someone has done they should have used the more modern turbos etc.
Would this Dax need any more power or response than its already got, I very much doubt it and If I was the new owner I would be leaving it as it is for as long as possible and just enjoying it.
I bet that thing is fooking scary lol 1000cc bike chaser all day long in the dry
Old 23-03-2017, 09:42 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Good stuff, gotcha

Cheers Paul
Old 23-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Ashley templeman
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jontysafe
That's Paul's old car and you're right he's a gent.

same spec as I'm going for in my Westfield albeit modernised turbo, ecu etc.
He really is! Even now I own it, if I need help with anything he spends the time and is more than happy to help and go into so much detail, genuine guy!

Would love to see your westfield, are you far into the build?
Old 23-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Ashley templeman

Originally Posted by ajamesc
I bet that thing is fooking scary lol 1000cc bike chaser all day long in the dry
It really is! I'm to have a go with one but I had a gsxr 750 and it's the only thing I can even begin to compare how fast the speedo goes up! Yet with it being an open top car, so low to the ground, it feels soo much quicker!
Old 24-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashley templeman
It really is! I'm to have a go with one but I had a gsxr 750 and it's the only thing I can even begin to compare how fast the speedo goes up! Yet with it being an open top car, so low to the ground, it feels soo much quicker!
As it is only ever going to be a fun toy...not a daily driver I think I would be tempted to get a 6 or 7 speed close ratio sequential in there, just keep chucking gears at it.

I know a chap that had an r500 caterham with a sequential...he hid it away after going past a police car having a race with a sports bike near brands hatch...[he was certain they didn't get his plate as nobody came knocking so he hid it for 6 months so it wasn't recognised next time he was out....don't think they could have done anything but he was scared to death.
Old 24-03-2017, 09:56 AM
jontysafe
PassionFord Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashley templeman
He really is! Even now I own it, if I need help with anything he spends the time and is more than happy to help and go into so much detail, genuine guy!

Would love to see your westfield, are you far into the build?
if I pushed the engine builder more it would be finished. Rear rad and front intercooler all done. Bespoke twin scroll manifold and exhaust all done.

my problem now is time. In that I really don't have much as I travel a lot with work and have a 3 year old and a 7 month old.

i knew Paul was looking to sell. Hope you got a good deal.

Porkie on here is mid way through a re spec and re build as well on his Westie.
Old 24-03-2017, 10:24 AM
jontysafe
PassionFord Regular

Oh and PLEASE PLEASE get a proper roll cage.
Old 24-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

I thought it sounded like Paul's car when the big cooler and rear rad was mentioned.
Old 24-03-2017, 11:41 PM
Ashley templeman

Oh and PLEASE PLEASE get a proper roll cage.
Yes this is definitely going to happen.
Old 24-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Ashley templeman

if I pushed the engine builder more it would be finished. Rear rad and front intercooler all done. Bespoke twin scroll manifold and exhaust all done.

my problem now is time. In that I really don't have much as I travel a lot with work and have a 3 year old and a 7 month old.

i knew Paul was looking to sell. Hope you got a good deal.

Porkie on here is mid way through a re spec and re build as well on his Westie.
Sounds amazing! And yes you sound pretty Dam busy too!

I'd like to think I got a pretty good all things considered. Can't wait to see yours
Old 25-03-2017, 02:54 PM
jontysafe
PassionFord Regular

As you can see I've gone slightly different mounting to yours. If it works I will lower and box in.
Old 25-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Ashley templeman

As you can see I've gone slightly different mounting to yours. If it works I will lower and box in.
Very nice!

Don't suppose you do roll cage welding?
Old 25-03-2017, 06:06 PM
jontysafe
PassionFord Regular

No but I know a man who does 😜
Old 03-04-2017, 08:39 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

low compression, ported head, 200 block, bd 14/16 cams, T4 and 2 bar of pressure nothing under 4.5k but after that its party time specially between 6-8k, although I admit everyone has long since buggered off by the time you get any power lol
Old 04-04-2017, 05:52 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanic28
low compression, ported head, 200 block, bd 14/16 cams, T4 and 2 bar of pressure nothing under 4.5k but after that its party time specially between 6-8k, although I admit everyone has long since buggered off by the time you get any power lol
Lol 😂😂