General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford FIESTA RS1800 MK3 gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 14-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Bosch
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford FIESTA RS1800 MK3 gearbox

I've been using a MK3 RS180 as my track car, can't fault it really it's pulls real well, keeps revving past 7K. Last three trackdays the gearbox has started to whine, suspecting diff or bearings. Did Donington on Sunday and progressly got louder and ended up losing all gears.

Ive sourced "fingers crossed deal works out" a big bearing Daniels motorsport gearbox.

The main question is, as a backup plan what other gearbox are suited without any modification. Would a RS box lose me much power? I know they fit.

Im going to check this box and then have it rebuilt. But wanted to know what other boxes will be suited without losing too much power.

Thanks, Simon
Old 14-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello Simon,

If you have got the BC box in the I suppose the next obviouse choice would be the ib5 . I'm just putting an lsd in one now and it has a bigger bearing on one side of the diff and I've notice the final drive gear is wider too . Their will prob be more differences I'm sure someone will let you know but it will fit what you have

Hope this helps

Adder
Old 14-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Bosch
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that helps thank you 👍🏻 At the moment the power is only slightly above the standard power. Around 150hp. Hopefully this deal works out for this new box but wanted to have a backup plan.

Thanks again, Simon
Old 17-02-2017, 09:01 PM
wildheart
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

S1 RST Box, will gain slightly in acceleration.