General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

supra diff fitting kit & rear cover (where from?)

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2017, 10:48 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Good shout will get the floor strengthened
Old 15-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Ive a mate with a supra diff who drives like a total cunt 0 mechanical sympathy lol.
He has a turbo sytems diff fitting kit only issue he has other than busting the standard rear cover and turbo systems diff hanger (now has an mt cover) is wear the new billet diff mount bolts to the floor he pulled the bolts out the floor lol. The floor now has a plate on it that the hanger bolts right through

I think that is a good idea if you are going to drive it like that.

My car has a 20mm beam welded from left to right and that holds the diff hanger, this was fitted when the car was converted so hopefully there is a good bit of strength there and I don't drive it like a loony.
Old 15-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Cosnada
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Didn't 3drRich also break his standard cover after fitting to his black 3 door but it didn't total it. I think he made up some steel brackets and he was away again with the standard cover.
Old 15-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by pimp-daddy11
Are you his new bitch now advertising his diff covers?
Am I your bitch for this recent post?

MT has supplied me bits next day delivery, he also helped me out once when I had the wrong hubs on my car, he got me the bits that I needed to sort the problem. He did that over a weekend and sent me pics etc. Spoke to him the other day, nice bloke to deal with.
Old 15-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Cosnada
Didn't 3drRich also break his standard cover after fitting to his black 3 door but it didn't total it. I think he made up some steel brackets and he was away again with the standard cover.
Yes, I remember that, he posted up pics.

I assume a supra doesn't use the back cover at all?
Old 15-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Cosnada

Originally Posted by Caddyshack

https://passionford.com/forum/general-car-related-discussion/480872-toyota-supra-diff.html?highlight=Supra+bracket

Here you go.......
Old 15-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Cosnada

link don't work properly as on phone.
Old 16-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Has anyone known a standard Cosworth diff cover to break ?

The stock one is only a cheapo casting, I'm assuming that as the stock diff is bolted directly to the beam (as opposed to being held in with a collection of brackets) it does not get the chance to move about and put additional loads on the cover.

There must be a LOT of force trying to twist the diff in the beam if you launch hard, if it pivots on the conversion brackets the load gets transferred to the point where it is bolted to the car and then there are problems...

Just a thought !
Old 16-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark V8

The stock one is only a cheapo casting, I'm assuming that as the stock diff is bolted directly to the beam (as opposed to being held in with a collection of brackets) it does not get the chance to move about and put additional loads on the cover.

There must be a LOT of force trying to twist the diff in the beam if you launch hard, if it pivots on the conversion brackets the load gets transferred to the point where it is bolted to the car and then there are problems...

Just a thought !
my thoughts exactly it's a bad design
Old 17-02-2017, 07:20 AM
FLAT TRACK
BANNED
BANNED

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark V8

Just a thought !
hi mark
the problem seems to be then there is not enough meat/strength in the diff cover were the top stud goes through it ,its not supporting the stud enough ,so when the cover cracks it allows the diff to drop on some cars ,but with the billet cover like a yb one you are hanging the rear of the diff from the cover which is spreading the load /forces to all the other bolts in the cover .
with the kit it is being held on the stud which relies on the standard supra cover to support it which on some covers the casting is very thin around it
hence the problems ,but with the billet cover it gets rid of that ,its nothing to do with the kit moving mark ,as mt has a billet cover on a 1000bhp car been on for 12 months and it hasent damaged the kit .yes the best way is to put mountings straight on the beam ,but the kit was designed to be a bolt in kit which it is as this is what was needed and out of the 250 kits sold only a few have suffered from rear cover breaking
by the way nice job on your cover as you know you are hanging a very heavy
diff of the rear mounting but it is spreading the load to all the bolts so will be spot on
mark
The following users liked this post:
Mark V8 (17-02-2017)
Old 17-02-2017, 07:21 AM
FLAT TRACK
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Jay,
my thoughts exactly it's a bad design
hi jay
how would you have designed it
mark
Old 17-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Would of certainly looked at the original item rather than working round it and modified the beam to suit actually did the same a few times with a 8.8 ford diff and a Salisbury 10.5 . If you mount it on original you wouldnt have these issues but this would obviously drive the price up . The unfortunate thing with these ideas is its hard to finance the testing by small companies so re inventing the wheel isnt always the best way
Old 17-02-2017, 08:06 AM
FLAT TRACK
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Jay,
Would of certainly looked at the original item rather than working round it and modified the beam to suit actually did the same a few times with a 8.8 ford diff and a Salisbury 10.5 . If you mount it on original you wouldnt have these issues but this would obviously drive the price up . The unfortunate thing with these ideas is its hard to finance the testing by small companies so re inventing the wheel isnt always the best way
hi jay
but thats not what people asked for they wanted to bolt it in there standard beam ,overall it has been quite successful and with a billet cover proved indestructible as in the 1000 bhp one ,its like anything push it beyond what it was designed to do and it will break blocks ,crank rods and piston as an example ,still a cheap option over a 9 inch even with the cover kit diff rebuild etc ,break a 9 inch big money break a supra £180 another diff just refit all you weir kit cover and fitting kit and it available in about 20 ratios it would be far easier to weld plates and bosses on beam and cheaper £350
mark

Last edited by FLAT TRACK; 17-02-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pics of the support to the diff if the beam is modified instead of just bolt on kit? I'd prefer to have a beam welded instead of the kit as even second hand the set up is too much £££. What kind of turnaround time for the beam mods instead of kit MK?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mr C
Any pics of the support to the diff if the beam is modified instead of just bolt on kit? I'd prefer to have a beam welded instead of the kit as even second hand the set up is too much £££. What kind of turnaround time for the beam mods instead of kit MK?

The support (assuming you mean diff hanger) is the same as with the kit as the diff hanger bolts on to the Supra billet diff cover.

It is worth asking MK Mark what his turnaround is as I think it depends on his stock and if you need it powder coating etc...(if you have someone local to you it is easier to get the beam in raw and have it coated)

Obviously compare the price of a beam modded to take supra diff to a normal 6 degree and fitting kit. I would pay more and have the tabs put on for a bladed anti roll bar just in case you want that later. It is a much better and neater solution to have the beam modded in my opinion.
Old 17-04-2018, 06:13 PM
cozziegav
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra fitting kit needed

Originally Posted by ajamesc
I've an Mk fitting kit but MT rear cover as to me it looks a better shape with the rounded corners
can someone point me in the direction of a firing kit supra diff to 2wd cosworth
Old 17-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Personally I would go 6 degree modded to accept the supra diff directly, no kit. That’s what I did
Old 17-04-2018, 06:43 PM
cozziegav
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would go 6 degree modded to accept the supra diff directly, no kit. That’s what I did
that’s a major job. Fitting kit easier
Old 17-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cozziegav

that’s a major job. Fitting kit easier
It’s not easier really as the fitting kit is just as hard, it is cheaper but you don’t benefit from the 6 degree which is a huge handling and traction benefit.

I have fitted both and would only ever 6 degree and mod to fit again.
Old 18-04-2018, 04:39 AM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Theres also the option of getting mk to modify your beam to take the supra diff without making it a 6 degree which is a cheaper option.
Old 18-04-2018, 06:40 AM
lockie
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There’s a new full supra kit on a Cosworth Facebook page atm
doesnt have a price but will be slightly cheaper than new & it’s ready to ship
Old 18-04-2018, 10:04 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

Now everyone needs 6 degree beams to fit their supra diffs, lol

Fuck it why not go the whole hog and put a full wrc custom suspension set up in every car, will be loads better, don’t worry about the money cost as that’s irrelevant as usual, ha ha

Cheers Paul

Last edited by turbotrev; 18-04-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 18-04-2018, 10:07 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

What you need is a rear beam delete kit ROFLOL
Old 19-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by turbotrev
Now everyone needs 6 degree beams to fit their supra diffs, lol

Fuck it why not go the whole hog and put a full wrc custom suspension set up in every car, will be loads better, don’t worry about the money cost as that’s irrelevant as usual, ha ha

Cheers Paul
Do we really need to caveat every post with "only do this if you have the budget to do so, if you do not have the budget or want to spend the money then cheaper options might be available"

If someone says "how do I do this cheap" I will answer that way, if they say "what is the best way then I tell them my opinion"

Worth chucking in an EFR and getting Mark Shead to map it whilst you are at it.
Old 19-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by lee2cossies
Theres also the option of getting mk to modify your beam to take the supra diff without making it a 6 degree which is a cheaper option.
This is actually a really good idea and would have been a better option than a fitting kit all along, you can pick up the hoops pretty cheaply and therefore you don't need to worry about the beam being away, the fabricator could have them ready to go in raw on the shelf and then the buyer paints or powdercoats to suit and maybe have some in black ready to ship.

You can then upgrade to 6 degree if you see the benefit or when funds allow

You would still need the billet cover though unless willing to risk a broken cover.
The following users liked this post:
lee2cossies (20-04-2018)
Old 19-04-2018, 03:22 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

You still need the flange converters?
Old 19-04-2018, 03:24 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Oh and sorry to mod for saying I had a converted beam I notice it got deleted just trying to help
Old 19-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by smiley
You still need the flange converters?
That’s true, to include the flange for the prop. As well

Last edited by Caddyshack; 19-04-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 19-04-2018, 05:33 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Yes so you do still need parts of the kit
Old 19-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by smiley
Yes so you do still need parts of the kit
I think a modded hoop and a few billet adapters without colour and let the punter colour them would be easier but 100% agree that if the car is apart (and it is a fiddly job) why not just do the whole job and do the lot.

The bolt in kit was a solution to allow people to diy it and not be without the car on the road but I was far happier with the modded beam to the chunky kit.
Old 19-04-2018, 11:42 PM
turbotrev

Do we really need to caveat every post with "only do this if you have the budget to do so, if you do not have the budget or want to spend the money then cheaper options might be available"

If someone says "how do I do this cheap" I will answer that way, if they say "what is the best way then I tell them my opinion"

Worth chucking in an EFR and getting Mark Shead to map it whilst you are at it.
The op said neither tbh.

Same old replies again, no wonder this forum has gone to pot of the last few years...

Cheers Paul
Old 20-04-2018, 05:58 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Last few? about 10 yrs ago
Old 20-04-2018, 06:29 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

The op said neither tbh.

Same old replies again, no wonder this forum has gone to pot of the last few years...

Cheers Paul
Exactly and the definition of a forum is really just a group of opinions. Clearly you do not like the big budget options and I do. You have not given any advice to the op as to what options they have but I assume you prefer the fitting kit option. I have used both and gave my opinion and advice.

My replies will remain consistent as I have no reason to change my option, when I see other options I will present my advice based on what I feel is best.

At the end of the day I was trying to help the op, isn’t that what the forum is for?
Old 20-04-2018, 07:00 AM
turbotrev

That’s because I don’t know where he can get one, hence I said nothing, I’ll let other people post and give him some decent info on locating what he wants.

Or I could of just replied and told him he needs £1100’s worth of beam like you did.

Always turning it round about your own car and what you’ve got, boring....

Cheers Paul
Old 20-04-2018, 07:02 AM
turbotrev

I have nothing against big budget parts or builds, my engine is big budget, as well as some other aspects of my car, but I don’t bleat on about it on everyone’s post about anything Cosworth

Cheers Paul
Old 20-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Yes, shame on me on a FORD forum that is big in to Cosworths talking about Cosworths and my own passion for my car.

I would actually be interested to read about your build as my route seems to offend you to the point of distraction on the forum...it bores you so why not tell us a bit about what you are building instead.
Old 20-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

That’s because I don’t know where he can get one, hence I said nothing, I’ll let other people post and give him some decent info on locating what he wants.

Or I could of just replied and told him he needs £1100’s worth of beam like you did.

Always turning it round about your own car and what you’ve got, boring....

Cheers Paul
MT Motorsport has a stack of beams all converted and ready to go.
Old 20-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

MT Motorsport has a stack of beams all converted and ready to go.
That’s where I would go as the key is having it in stock
Old 20-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Adam-M
That’s where I would go as the key is having it in stock
Yup, you get the MK quality but MT has the inventory to hold decent stock ready to go.
Old 20-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Yup, you get the MK quality but MT has the inventory to hold decent stock ready to go.
Best of both worlds

Quick Reply: supra diff fitting kit & rear cover (where from?)