General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Do I sell the Cossie and buy an Evo 6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

The original question was should the OP part with his sapphire in favour for an evo as he mainly does trackdays, I think everyone one this site would agree yes get an evo. They are more disposable these days and would give you less paranoia and let's face it with all the electricals they have they are definitely more track worthy put the box.

I think we should leave it at that tbh, obviously we're going to be more biased towards cosworths this is passionford after all.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam-M
The original question was should the OP part with his sapphire in favour for an evo as he mainly does trackdays, I think everyone one this site would agree yes get an evo. They are more disposable these days and would give you less paranoia and let's face it with all the electricals they have they are definitely more track worthy put the box.

I think we should leave it at that tbh, obviously we're going to be more biased towards cosworths this is passionford after all.
^^^^^ This.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:01 PM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was told not to buy an evo because they are boring and I just thought if you think they are boring then your not pushing hard enough. Now I've have one for a year i think you'd have to be mental to push one to its limits on the road I over stepped the mark with mine very early on and it highlighted my lack of knowledge of a ayc system when I tried to steer it like a rwd, what a nightmare.

bang for the buck you can't fault them you can buy a 6 at a decent price spend Ł1200 on new parts and have 380hp. so for sub 8k you can have a car that will upset alot cars on a b road. reliability is pretty good if 1. you dont launch it all the time 2. you don't try racing at prolonged high speed 140+ evos are not good at top speed runs.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:07 PM
800bhp
**RS COSWORTH**

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Similar powered evo v cosworth

Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 PM
ben_frst

So I went abit off track literally lol for a car used on the track the evo is far better buy a 6 gsr with 380hp mods and ring its neck the ayc is great for track use.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:48 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Just take a loan out (if you need to) and have both! I'm seriously thinking about an EVO at some point but I wouldn't sell my Cossie for one.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by 800bhp
Good video, seen it on you tube many times but never actually bothered to watch it before
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Less paranoia the average evo rusts like hell ayc system throws a spaz more a 3 year old has tantrums including the pump seizing . Using a evo on track will make it heavy on brakes and and clutches compared to a cossie . Nothing is 100 percent reliable especially when being bashed round a track and evo tax can be worse than cossie but dont get me wrong all cossies are shite the EVO is a much newer machine so it should be a better handling drive .

Passionford of yesteryear maybe its a bit like a retarded facebook these days lol
Old 03-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Jay speaks sense and from experience too, what you have to remember here, one is a iconic car and we know which one, the other is a very capable family saloon from Japan that does rust and go wrong like a Cossie. Cossies had oil leaks from factory ffs but we still love them, there's nothing better than that smell of fuel in the cabin and foot long flames on over run

Would I have another?? HELL YEAH...
Old 03-03-2016, 08:48 PM
rsmadgt3071
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

evos are nice but aint actually that quick... cossies have longer gears,more torque and Feel quick to a good buzz.. evos are light,handle good but aint actually that quick.. unless your running good power out of one.. because midrange and topend thay tend to run out of puff mainly due to the small turbos they have..however i prefer the evo 3 as long as its forged.. no ayc crap to worry about and a light car ..perfect for track ..
Old 03-03-2016, 08:54 PM
rsmadgt3071

Name:  IMG_0258_zpsgwzgxkpc.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  71.3 KB

that was my evo.. it was standard when i bought it.. in the end it i modded it ..but not much .. the car used to SPIN ALL 4S out of line on a launch.. every where i went i used to do fullbore standstill launches.. the car never went wrong apart from once when the power steering pipe broke.. apart from that the car was good.. no ayc crap as the early evos dont come with ayc etc.. once modded the 0-60 times are crazy quick and good on drag strips and track.. proper handling car too .. i used to push it so hard around roundbouts it used to handle wicked.. but if you wanted it to you can go round sideways lol proper fun car.. evo6s are good but ayc problems can occur and diff bolts get loose etc..look out for rust too as some evos dont get protected here when freshly imported
Old 03-03-2016, 08:56 PM
rsmadgt3071

if you buy evo and sell cossie then later if you regret it you probably wont find a good cossie ..if i were you i would keep cosie and spend 1200quid and get a clio 182 cup for track
Old 21-03-2016, 08:46 PM
jdsjojo

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well after weeks of reading articles and looking at pictures and pricing things up. I've concluded that I'm not selling my 4x4 saph for an Evo. There will always be a place in my heart for the Evo but ultimately Cosworth ownership far outweighs Evo ownership for me.

Currently using my cossie daily and I can't get enough of the noise, smells, looks, feel and the surprised faces from onlookers.

Good debate everyone, thourghly enjoyed reading everyone posts.

Cossie stays. Pic to follow.

Last edited by jdsjojo; 21-03-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 21-03-2016, 08:53 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Cool, seems to be a thing with cosies once they get in your heart its hard to let go.
Old 21-03-2016, 10:45 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by gjh
Cool, seems to be a thing with cosies once they get in your heart its hard to let go.
This is true. So many cars out there more modern that drive better and more reliable but gettin in an old Cossie and taking it for a spin is like nothing else. Not to mention all the looks u get is priceless
Old 23-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Yerp there is just something so special about the cossies its hard to put a finger on it.

Your saff looks nice matey. The head lights remind me of the rally cars.
Old 23-03-2016, 12:54 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Ye that is a nice looking saph!
Old 23-03-2016, 04:34 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Your doing the right thing. A guy who lives by me has a lovely Tommi makkinen evo its 420hp very capable car but it didn't seem that quick to me in a straight line compares to a Cossie with similar power and recently when he dropped the rear beam it is full of holes and needs lots of welding!
Old 23-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Oh yes they can certainly Rot, lol. That's why I bought a fresh import, too many UK examples have rotted away
Old 23-03-2016, 08:09 PM
ben_frst

evos dont seem as quick as cossies because they are built to cope with the power lol stick a same powered evo and cossie on the drag strip and the evo will be faster stick them round a track and the evo will be even faster still.

I would still rather have a 2wd saff over my 6 though much more drama and fun.
Old 23-03-2016, 08:47 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffi
Oh yes they can certainly Rot, lol. That's why I bought a fresh import, too many UK examples have rotted away
Do they suffer really bad then if not treated once over here
Old 23-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Do they suffer really bad then if not treated once over here
Well the uk ones rot and they are treated from the dealers but just not very well, think jap cars must be made of crap steel lol
Old 23-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_frst
evos dont seem as quick as cossies because they are built to cope with the power lol stick a same powered evo and cossie on the drag strip and the evo will be faster stick them round a track and the evo will be even faster still.

I would still rather have a 2wd saff over my 6 though much more drama and fun.
It will only be faster over a short distance because of gearing & 4x4. Over a longer distance the EVO'S transmission drag will kill its grunt. A RR shootout gave the following results. A Cossie was 700atw the EVO 645atw, both were 800bhp at the fly. Above a 100mph the Cossie with the same Power will drive away.
The following users liked this post:
lee2cossies (24-03-2016)
Old 23-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I can totally understand your sitting there thinking what's better and why etc

I owned my 3 door for 10 years . it was standard when I got it so I modified it . I enjoyed it ,did what I wanted to do in it and then sold it .

Yes sometimes I miss it but I hung onto it for too long and to be honest I know I made the right decision. All you see is people talking about what there worth and how they wont sell there's because in another 20 years time they will be worth 2 million pounds bla bla bla bla

LIFE IS TO SHORT !!!! Buy one , keep it for a while , sell it try some thing else .

Last edited by Harris.; 23-03-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 23-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
It will only be faster over a short distance because of gearing & 4x4. Over a longer distance the EVO'S transmission drag will kill its grunt. A RR shootout gave the following results. A Cossie was 700atw the EVO 645atw, both were 800bhp at the fly. Above a 100mph the Cossie with the same Power will drive away.

But in the real world how often do you get 100mph plus? so its a pointless test . My Rs4 is 414bhp so way behind these big powered cars , I rarely get to open it up ...
Old 23-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by jdsjojo
Well after weeks of reading articles and looking at pictures and pricing things up. I've concluded that I'm not selling my 4x4 saph for an Evo. There will always be a place in my heart for the Evo but ultimately Cosworth ownership far outweighs Evo ownership for me.

Currently using my cossie daily and I can't get enough of the noise, smells, looks, feel and the surprised faces from onlookers.

Good debate everyone, thourghly enjoyed reading everyone posts.

Cossie stays. Pic to follow.

My old car , looks abit different now though

Name:  saff4.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  73.5 KB
Old 24-03-2016, 12:00 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Harris.
But in the real world how often do you get 100mph plus? so its a pointless test . My Rs4 is 414bhp so way behind these big powered cars , I rarely get to open it up ...
lol in something really fast most good straights
Old 24-03-2016, 12:30 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I driven a couple of evos now and one was a standard Tommy Makinen ( no ideas how to spell it) and my stage 3 4x4 saph defo felt quicker. Not wanting to sound chavvy but I witnessed my mate in his 2wd saph stage 3 on a t3 racing a Tommy Makinen evo down our local bypass and my mate left him for dust. No doubt there nice cars though the evos and they defo handled better than the Cossie lol
Old 24-03-2016, 05:16 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I driven a couple of evos now and one was a standard Tommy Makinen ( no ideas how to spell it) and my stage 3 4x4 saph defo felt quicker. Not wanting to sound chavvy but I witnessed my mate in his 2wd saph stage 3 on a t3 racing a Tommy Makinen evo down our local bypass and my mate left him for dust. No doubt there nice cars though the evos and they defo handled better than the Cossie lol
But your stage 3 Cossie WILL be faster than a STANDARD Evo, lol. Stage 3 Cossies are 340-350 bhp, more tbh, a standard Tommi is just 278 bhp and 272ft/lb go figure So that statement is completely irrelevant, by the way, I'm NOT defending, or bigging up the Evo, just fact.

I've owned both and obviously from my sig own one now, I know what I'd rather be driving a lot of these folks that comment have probably never driven one so cannot compare.

Like I said, two different era of cars and yes, I'd have another Cossie for sure, but not a 4x4 it'd have to be a 2WD Sapph again
Old 24-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Mine will reach 150 in the quarter so every short straight.
Old 24-03-2016, 08:51 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos

The feeling quicker doesn't always mean it is quicker. My old supra felt alot quicker than my gtr but it reality timed runs it's alot slower because the gtr can cope with the power and just puts it down and goes, supra was just insane lol
Old 24-03-2016, 09:12 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

But your stage 3 Cossie WILL be faster than a STANDARD Evo, lol. Stage 3 Cossies are 340-350 bhp, more tbh, a standard Tommi is just 278 bhp and 272ft/lb go figure So that statement is completely irrelevant, by the way, I'm NOT defending, or bigging up the Evo, just fact.

I've owned both and obviously from my sig own one now, I know what I'd rather be driving a lot of these folks that comment have probably never driven one so cannot compare.

Like I said, two different era of cars and yes, I'd have another Cossie for sure, but not a 4x4 it'd have to be a 2WD Sapph again
Fair enough I had no clue what power the evos were. The way the bloke was banging on (he was at our local haunt) was the his evo would out run a Bugatti veyron so my mate decided to shut him up on the way home. Don't wanna come accross as a my dads harder than your dad kinda chap but this guy was an annoying and bragging prize bell end lol. Was in front of all his mates which made it all the sweeter
Old 24-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Lol,,usual way pal, take no notice of what he says, stock Evos aren't that fast, great fun though.
Old 24-03-2016, 02:59 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lol,,usual way pal, take no notice of what he says, stock Evos aren't that fast, great fun though.
The ones I drove were awesome fun. Handled so well. The tommi Makinen one was like imperial blue sort of colour and looked seriously awesome I thought like a rally car for the rd!
Old 24-03-2016, 06:05 PM
ben_frst

Whp is the only thing that counts its all about what you put down on the tarmac I dont even know why tuners give out flywheel graphs. A stg 3 saff puts out around 300whp? an evo with an exhaust, fuel pump, boost solenoid will make 300whp both on stock suspension and brakes they will be miles apart.

I would say buy a 6 they are great but dont sell the saff to do it. the cossie market is so strong you could sell up then it would hurt to come back. The 6 market is strong enough you can buy one and sell it a year on with no loss.
Old 24-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Very very easy to get to 100 all back roads round my way have plenty of sections you can get to 150. Yes its illegal and unsafe but 100% possible in the real world. A simple two car overtake can see 100.
Old 24-03-2016, 07:08 PM
eel-roy-t5r
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to look at a evo 9 fq360 the other week with a pal , was 400bhp with print out and we wernt impressed with the evo , my friend had wanted one for years and saved up the money to get one so we went to view it sunderland to Birmingham and he was guttered , couldn't get comfy in the car and felt like he was driving a van he was that high up , he even said my 360bhp 4x4 cossie felt quicker
Old 24-03-2016, 07:50 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Mine will reach 150 in the quarter so every short straight.

Mental!
Old 24-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

What you have to remember too and I can say this owning lots of both, power delivery is totally different in both cars, most stage 3 Cossies have 2bar boost up their chuff or more, so that kick in the ass you get you don't get so much of with an Evo, obviously the BIG BHP built ones you would, I'm just doing a fair comparison.

My old 3dr on a NMS live map, T34.48 greys etc etc 10 years ago was a hoot of a car, my last Mak that Sheady built for me also fully forged made 425 bhp and 430ft/lb was an absolutely cracking road car, not much troubled me at all, hand on heart there, obviously bigger bhp Evos, Rod's Cossies would but in general terms of everyday driving life it was right up there.
Old 24-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Very very easy to get to 100 all back roads round my way have plenty of sections you can get to 150. Yes its illegal and unsafe but 100% possible in the real world. A simple two car overtake can see 100.

Yeah and so car my car its no big deal .

Quick Reply: Do I sell the Cossie and buy an Evo 6?