General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Faulty used car. Reasonable time for repair?

Search this Thread

Old 16-10-2015, 05:58 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Faulty used car. Reasonable time for repair?

I'm just after a bit of advice if anyone is clued up on the subject.

Basically we bought a mk2 golf gti from a dealer and all seemed fine. The next day it started knocking and it would seem it needs an engine rebuild. We did maybe 200 miles at the most and they were mainly motorway and that's was mostly driving it home.
Anyway, the dealer agreed to pay for the repairs and asked us to take it to a local garage for an inspection. Following this they confirmed the would repair the car and were meant to be collecting it. They have since said they can't do it yet because their mechanic has broken his leg and can't work so it will have to wait. Alternatively they said we can take it elsewhere but they won't pay the full price. Which seems stupid considering it will cost them to collect/deliver anyway.

Does this sound right? What are my rights? I don't want to be out of pocket and I also don't want to be without a car for months either.

I'm aware it's an old car and it happens but it could've been any car.
Old 16-10-2015, 09:33 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by xr_craig
I'm just after a bit of advice if anyone is clued up on the subject.

Basically we bought a mk2 golf gti from a dealer and all seemed fine. The next day it started knocking and it would seem it needs an engine rebuild. We did maybe 200 miles at the most and they were mainly motorway and that's was mostly driving it home.
Anyway, the dealer agreed to pay for the repairs and asked us to take it to a local garage for an inspection. Following this they confirmed the would repair the car and were meant to be collecting it. They have since said they can't do it yet because their mechanic has broken his leg and can't work so it will have to wait. Alternatively they said we can take it elsewhere but they won't pay the full price. Which seems stupid considering it will cost them to collect/deliver anyway.

Does this sound right? What are my rights? I don't want to be out of pocket and I also don't want to be without a car for months either.

I'm aware it's an old car and it happens but it could've been any car.
It sounds like a load of crap about their mechanic breaking his leg , so they cant get another mechanic to cover for him while he is off work? If they have agreed to sort the car out they should pay the full costs regardless of where it gets repaired.They have sold you a car which must have had problems when you bought it. Keep on at them or they will try to get out of repairing it.
Old 17-10-2015, 12:27 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's my thoughts exactly. I'm considering telling them I want a hire car or something paid for if I'm going to have to wait. I could just do with knowing if there is any sort of legal timescale before I start being awkward.
Old 17-10-2015, 05:14 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

so if the mechanic at the garage is injured will they let you take it to another garage to get done (i think i've read what you wrote correctly) or are they saying that only that garage can do it? or they won't pay for it all?
Old 17-10-2015, 06:58 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by visa_broke
so if the mechanic at the garage is injured will they let you take it to another garage to get done (i think i've read what you wrote correctly) or are they saying that only that garage can do it? or they won't pay for it all?
They've said that we can take it somewhere else but without even mentioning a price they've told us they won't pay it all. I'm not sure how much they will pay but since it's not my fault I don't see why I should be out of pocket.
Old 17-10-2015, 07:10 AM
gordyshreds
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be genuine, accidents happen, I broke my shoulder yesterday, not feeling sorry for myself or anything....!
If it is true then they probably don't want it to go somewhere else as they want it done by someone they trust will do a good job and won't exagerate the bill/do a few customer bonuses while engine is apart and fudge the bill to cover.
Old 17-10-2015, 07:34 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gordyshreds
It could be genuine, accidents happen, I broke my shoulder yesterday, not feeling sorry for myself or anything....!
If it is true then they probably don't want it to go somewhere else as they want it done by someone they trust will do a good job and won't exagerate the bill/do a few customer bonuses while engine is apart and fudge the bill to cover.
I can appreciate that but I'm stuck without a car in the meantime. They may not want to pay more than they have to buy if I have to hire a car while I wait I end up well out of pocket.
Old 17-10-2015, 07:55 AM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Just ask for a refund then
Old 17-10-2015, 08:07 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fordmad!
Just ask for a refund then
If it was as simple as just walking into another dealer and buying another I would but considering its solid and other than this issue it ticks all the boxes I'm reluctant to do that. Besides I don't think they want to go down that route either. I'm trying to be reasonable as I know both me and the dealer are going to lose out to some extent but they are the business so they should deal with it properly.

I don't mind being out of pocket a little if they sort it in a reasonable time but the way they are talking it could be months.

They started out being very helpful and understanding but once the car had been inspected they keep on putting off the collection and then this excuse. The car should've been collected Monday. This excuse came yesterday.

Edited to add: I don't even mind doing the work myself if they fund any parts etc but even then they say they will only pay a percentage.

Last edited by xr_craig; 17-10-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 17-10-2015, 08:12 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can appreciate that but I'm stuck without a car in the meantime. They may not want to pay more than they have to buy if I have to hire a car while I wait I end up well out of pocket.
One thing you have not mentioned, the place where you bought it from, did they give you a warranty with the car? If not you want to get it in writing from them that they are going to pay to have it repaired or its just their word against yours and they could deny saying it.
It is unlikely they will pay for a hire car but surely they have another car which you can have while they sort yours out?
Hopefully they are a decent garage who will do the right thing but as it is they look like they are trying to get out of it.
Go back to the garage and speak to them face to face ( take someone with you as a witness ) and find out exactly what and when they are going to do something to sort it out and get it in writing.
Best of luck!
Old 17-10-2015, 08:24 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossynut2
One thing you have not mentioned, the place where you bought it from, did they give you a warranty with the car? If not you want to get it in writing from them that they are going to pay to have it repaired or its just their word against yours and they could deny saying it.
It is unlikely they will pay for a hire car but surely they have another car which you can have while they sort yours out?
Hopefully they are a decent garage who will do the right thing but as it is they look like they are trying to get out of it.
Go back to the garage and speak to them face to face ( take someone with you as a witness ) and find out exactly what and when they are going to do something to sort it out and get it in writing.
Best of luck!
Thanks.
So far it is only phone conversations but they seemed like a decent garage and were happy to sort everything until now. Unfortunately it's a 250 mile round trip to go to the garage so I could do to avoid that. But if that's what it comes to then fair enough.

With the costs and time involved I'm considering just sorting it myself, I'm just reluctant since this was part of the reason for buying from a dealer.

Is there any sort of reasonable timescale by law?
Old 17-10-2015, 08:37 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

3 months
But a bloke at work had an issue with his car and 6 months down the line he's Ł6k out of pocket as they shut up shop when the baillifs were appointed and he's still trying to get both hid car AND his money back as they have both

If they haven't done so start putting everything in writing, send them a letter explaining what you've write here and give then a timescale to sort it out you will reject the car and expect your money back

Don't be accusatory, they might want it fixed too

It's the next letter where you say you are disappointed in their unwillingness to help
Old 17-10-2015, 08:45 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
3 months
But a bloke at work had an issue with his car and 6 months down the line he's Ł6k out of pocket as they shut up shop when the baillifs were appointed and he's still trying to get both hid car AND his money back as they have both

If they haven't done so start putting everything in writing, send them a letter explaining what you've write here and give then a timescale to sort it out you will reject the car and expect your money back

Don't be accusatory, they might want it fixed too

It's the next letter where you say you are disappointed in their unwillingness to help
Cheers dojj. It's stories like that which make me think cut my losses and repair it myself. If I'd bought private I would but that was partly the reason for buying from a dealer.

Like I say so far I've been happy with them and their willingness to help but it seems now it's come down to it they've changed their attitude.

I'll make sure everything is in writing from now on and see what happens. Like you say I doubt they want this hassle too but unfortunately it's happened.
Old 17-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

They've been wiling so far but all they've done is took the car back and made an excuse not to fix it.

You've not seen any repairs or money back.

They'll do all they can not to fix it
Old 17-10-2015, 09:12 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fordmad!
They've been wiling so far but all they've done is took the car back and made an excuse not to fix it.

You've not seen any repairs or money back.

They'll do all they can not to fix it
They haven't even done that mate. They were willing right up to the point they should collect the care from the independent garage who carried out the inspection. They authorised that and paid 2 hours labour for the sump to be removed and confirm it was bottom end failure. They then said they would collect the car Monday but that never happened and on Friday rather than saying it would be collected they told us about their mechanic.

The more I write on here what's happened and get other people's views the more reluctant I am becoming to let them take the car anyway as at least now I've still got the car. If they mess me about when they've collected it I'm stuck trying to sort it with a car 120 miles away.

I'm going to put it all in writing as suggested and try that first but I think it's looking like I'm going to be out of pocket anyway so I might as well cut my losses and sort it out locally with people I trust.
Old 17-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Kop2381
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They haven't even done that mate. They were willing right up to the point they should collect the care from the independent garage who carried out the inspection. They authorised that and paid 2 hours labour for the sump to be removed and confirm it was bottom end failure. They then said they would collect the car Monday but that never happened and on Friday rather than saying it would be collected they told us about their mechanic.

The more I write on here what's happened and get other people's views the more reluctant I am becoming to let them take the car anyway as at least now I've still got the car. If they mess me about when they've collected it I'm stuck trying to sort it with a car 120 miles away.

I'm going to put it all in writing as suggested and try that first but I think it's looking like I'm going to be out of pocket anyway so I might as well cut my losses and sort it out locally with people I trust.
How much was the car ?.
Old 17-10-2015, 10:38 AM
silver
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When did you buy the car?
The laws relating to used cars changed on the 1st of October.
If a car develops a fault in the first 30 days, you are now entitled to a full refund.
If the fault develops after the first month, but before the sixth month, the garage has one chance of doing a repair. If the repair is not satisfactory, then it is a full refund.
Old 17-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Silver is right. Get Trading Standards involved.
Old 17-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just get a refund bud.

I know to some mrk2 golfs are desirable and very thin on the ground now but the big picture is, its failed and fucked, they source a engine from the scrappy, bung it in makes sure it starts and stops and that's it give it back which could just be the start of more shit, head gasket failure looming water and oil leaks bla bla

Money back and fuck it off if it was me.
Old 17-10-2015, 02:11 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Csm
Just get a refund bud.

I know to some mrk2 golfs are desirable and very thin on the ground now but the big picture is, its failed and fucked, they source a engine from the scrappy, bung it in makes sure it starts and stops and that's it give it back which could just be the start of more shit, head gasket failure looming water and oil leaks bla bla

Money back and fuck it off if it was me.
This ∆

In my mates case the garage is 5 minutes away so I can imagine the arse you will get traveling 120 miles to see nothing done

Ask then to pay a portion of the money to get it fixed locally, have a price ready on an invoice etc and if that is not suitable reject the car and get your money back

It'd easier for them to pay 50% of the repairs because collecting a car is going to cost plenty fit starters and if they can make you go away for the cost of recovery they may see that as the simplest solution, even though you will think they've fucked you at least it's local
Old 17-10-2015, 07:03 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The car was Ł3k. It's not a perfect example paint wise but it's solid and otherwise mechanically sound. So I'd like to keep hold of it.

I'm going to give them a chance and get everything in writing and agree a reasonable timescale. If they refuse I'll ask them to fund elsewhere or at least a fair contribution.

From there on I'll make my decisions based on their answers I guess
Old 18-10-2015, 03:14 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The car was Ł3k. It's not a perfect example paint wise but it's solid and otherwise mechanically sound. So I'd like to keep hold of it.

I'm going to give them a chance and get everything in writing and agree a reasonable timescale. If they refuse I'll ask them to fund elsewhere or at least a fair contribution.

From there on I'll make my decisions based on their answers I guess
If Silver in his reply has said you are entitled to a refund go for that as I can see this becoming a nightmare for you especially as they are a long way from where you live. Get your money back and buy another car locally next time.
Old 18-10-2015, 04:04 PM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default new law -faults

for the new law-ie used cars from a trader
you must be able to prove that the fault was there when you purchased the vehicle-it is the customers obligation to prove this

in the case above i would try and negotiate a cash settlement and arrange repair elsewhere-on the mk2 golfs when they were new there was a buzzer that sounded when it lost oil pressure-the mk2 gti were bad for choking up the oil pick up[maybe lack of/poorer oil in the mid 80s],the clip on plastick windage pipe used to harden and fall off too
Old 18-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

what about cheap cars like under Ł1000 aswell ?
Old 18-10-2015, 05:01 PM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default cheapies

i know trading standards wouldnt get involved if it was a cheapie up untill now-but i dont know about the new laws if its all cars or if there is a percieved cut off point price wise,i suppose time will tell-you cant get blood out of a stone though if a garage closes doors/goes bust you will still end up out of pocket