General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Veyron at Vmax

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Rod has only ever seemed nice, genuine and honest when I have seen him on here, he is a nice bloke to talk to and is certainly an asset to this forum as he regularly posts....oh and he did get the record so I too find the comments a little insulting.

You must be his first wife

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Rod will always have haters lol and I don't think it really bothers him. One thing is for sure there hate even more come next year when his old boat sets new records and moves the goal posts yet again

And you the second

There's one born every minute and turnover id the classic example
Old 01-11-2014, 12:47 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

the only bit id question is the full traction in 2nd gear at 800+ hp, im not saying it wont happen but those little r888s would need perfect conditions to hook that power fully heated.

90% of the time 2nd gear would be spun away im sure, my old 295 r888s on the 800 hp supra would not hook in second gear ever

its was only 3rd and 70 mph plus I could get full traction and then needed hot tyres and hot tarmac for that

with regard to launching or taking the bend im sure rods done it enough times id trust him if he says standing start is better, ive seen a video of rods saph launching hard and snakeing start at brunters, im sure hes done it both ways and got times as proof its quicker standing start ....

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 01-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
You must be his first wife

And you the second

There's one born every minute and turnover id the classic example
I will try anything once, Jay
Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by turnover
Rod says a lot of things jimbo ,it's just wether you believe them or not,but I think you allready know that lol
Don't say stuff like that until you have a educated view on rods car. Take a look at gearing tyre size power band of engine suspension set up.
This will then give you what you need to understand why it can use its power in 2nd on a dry straight flat road.

Mark
Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Rod says a lot of things jimbo ,it's just wether you believe them or not,but I think you allready know that lol
I don't give a monkeys nuts if you believe me or not bud. I have studied Topspeed running for many years & brought calculations into it as that's my game . When I first started people were hacking up & down Brunters with totally incorrect gearing & getting nowhere near optimum performance. My car arrived in 2002 with 486bhp & set a new record @ 183.3mph a previous holder had a Dynoed 541bhp & managed 182.6mph. They were both MAD cars & Dynoed at Jimbos place on the same day. .

What exactly have I said that's not true.

Grip in 2nd @ 800bhp in the dry that's a fact.
Just run the gearing I do in 2nd/3rd, have a PL Jaguar diff also have proper beam+chassis connectors, DO1J/888 tyres also modified Leda coilovers & special twin springs then geometry set for straight line grip. How else can Sheady get 0-100 in 6.86secs . There are vids showing it being done with no spinning that you guys say must happen. Clue it will do over 100mph in 2nd & over 150mph in 3rd hence grip. My car has the Torque/Power to pull that gearing few others could do that .

Its faster from a standing start at Brunters. Never said that it simply makes no difference. Just watch the vids see how long it takes for the cars to get straight to get 100% on the throttle. A fast car with grip can be 100% on the throttle from the start & be going as quick as the guys coming around the bend. That's a fact.

Ive no probs with Jimbo but past History between Mark/Harvey means he cant believe what we do. Already dismissed any attempt we make at 1000bhp as lies if its not done at his place . But I like Jimbo .

Think this thread has got me fired up again a few haters need to be hit in the record books again .

Last edited by Rod-Tarry; 01-11-2014 at 06:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rod-Tarry:
CossieRich (17-11-2014), CrOwSoN15 (03-11-2014), scoooby slayer (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 PM
turnover
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have a problem with Rod all I said is he says a lot of things,wether you believe them or not ,that's not directly saying he's a lier,i don't give a shit about what gets traction where all I said was in my opinion you would be faster using the run up,
And we all don't agree with everything we here
And Rod it's about time you got your lazy arse out there instead of talking the talk

Last edited by turnover; 01-11-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

you sometimes come across as a pompous smug cunt but you cant argue with your obvious knowledge and well planned and calculated achievements on the subject.
that's as close to a compliment youll get from me
The following users liked this post:
jamie's (03-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have never been to brunters, maybe you don't realise that when you do a standing start you back right up to the end of the long straight. When you take the corner you come out and by the time you straighten its about 60-100m. So if your car can accelerate to the same speed or greater in that space than it can carry round the corner you are better doing the standing start.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullflush
If you have never been to brunters, maybe you don't realise that when you do a standing start you back right up to the end of the long straight. When you take the corner you come out and by the time you straighten its about 60-100m. So if your car can accelerate to the same speed or greater in that space than it can carry round the corner you are better doing the standing start.
Ye when I was there last doing abit of mapping earlier in the year the section set back is so large Nizmo had 3 artics and a huge marquee there still leaving the full arc of the bottom corner open.

Rich
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

That's basically what it boils down to.

The more distance you have, the more chance you have of going faster. How much extra distance does that area give you then ?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Fullflush

Its a few years since I was last there, but IMO if you backed right up to the end you would be doing way more than you could carry round the corner by the time your hypothetical paths merged.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Fullflush

Plus brunters is so wide, with nothing to gauge distance on it would be hard for me to put a guess on the actual figure
Old 02-11-2014, 11:03 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Measure it on google earth ?

If this is considered the start area of a top speed run, which most in-car footage seems to suggest ?

Then from the edge of the concrete to the colour change on the right is approx 180m, 600feet. That's less than 1/8th mile

And around 300 feet which could be deemed the exit of the corner ?

Not sure what corner speeds would be around there ?

If that's the case, then given the short distance available, can't see either standing start or flying run making a lot of difference there. The distance is just too short to gain anything on a standing start unless traction was superb. But if the car was that good, corner speed would be bloody high too.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

is there an echo in here?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

My "guess" is that the exit speed would only be 70mph and you would need to get it settled. It is a long time since I was there so cannot remember fully. I know that going in to that U shape at 100mph had the back end very loose on my 911.

I am sure that Rod would have used every available tool at his disposal to hit the highest speed so I would go with whatever he suggests.

Last edited by Caddyshack; 03-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Here is me being a sideways hero....for no other reason than to show off!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
My "guess" is that the exit speed would only be 70mph and you would need to get it settled. It is a long time since I was there so cannot remember fully. I know that going in to that U shape at 100mph had the back end very loose on my 911.

I am sure that Rod would have used every available tool at his disposal to hit the highest speed so I would go with whatever he suggests.
In Rods by the time I get it straight it's way over 100mph. The entrance speed is around 70mph to the corner.

Mark
Old 03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by fuzzy
you sometimes come across as a pompous smug cunt but you cant argue with your obvious knowledge and well planned and calculated achievements on the subject.
that's as close to a compliment youll get from me
Thanks

In real life im neither pompous or smug & have helped many people on here.
Im a lifelong Petrolhead.
However on the internet I have to deal with idiots, bully's, troll's & loudmouths or in this case someone who thinks he knows more about a subject I have dissected in detail for 12 years. I put him right & im branded a Liar. I DONT TELL LIES. If you think im pompous in the way I deal with them then that's probably because I am.
I don't get involved with track stuff or 1/4 mile because others know more.

ps. Ive nothing personal against this guy, Ive never met him.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Measure it on google earth ?

If this is considered the start area of a top speed run, which most in-car footage seems to suggest ?

Then from the edge of the concrete to the colour change on the right is approx 180m, 600feet. That's less than 1/8th mile

And around 300 feet which could be deemed the exit of the corner ?

Not sure what corner speeds would be around there ?

If that's the case, then given the short distance available, can't see either standing start or flying run making a lot of difference there. The distance is just too short to gain anything on a standing start unless traction was superb. But if the car was that good, corner speed would be bloody high too.
Brilliant Stats to a man that loves stats. Case closed.
At least we can agree it makes little or no difference. Back to my other Stat if you gain 30M whatever way you do it that's only .3sec more on the throttle at the end of the runway.

Thanks Stevie another man who knows about Topspeed running
Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

And Rod it's about time you got your lazy arse out there instead of talking the talk
Its a long time since any mention of a Topspeed run was made. The last completed run was back in November 2005. I did however post this on my 69 Birthday not much talking the talk there mate.

Originally Posted by rod-tarry
end of an era for me.

Don’t have any plans at the mo to continue chasing records, my recent health prob bringing home the fact im not a young buck anymore. Its time to thank all those who have helped & supported me through the years.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:24 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
I don't give a monkeys nuts if you believe me or not bud. I have studied Topspeed running for many years & brought calculations into it as that's my game . When I first started people were hacking up & down Brunters with totally incorrect gearing & getting nowhere near optimum performance. My car arrived in 2002 with 486bhp & set a new record @ 183.3mph a previous holder had a Dynoed 541bhp & managed 182.6mph. They were both MAD cars & Dynoed at Jimbos place on the same day. .

What exactly have I said that's not true.

Grip in 2nd @ 800bhp in the dry that's a fact.
Just run the gearing I do in 2nd/3rd, have a PL Jaguar diff also have proper beam+chassis connectors, DO1J/888 tyres also modified Leda coilovers & special twin springs then geometry set for straight line grip. How else can Sheady get 0-100 in 6.86secs . There are vids showing it being done with no spinning that you guys say must happen. Clue it will do over 100mph in 2nd & over 150mph in 3rd hence grip. My car has the Torque/Power to pull that gearing few others could do that .

Its faster from a standing start at Brunters. Never said that it simply makes no difference. Just watch the vids see how long it takes for the cars to get straight to get 100% on the throttle. A fast car with grip can be 100% on the throttle from the start & be going as quick as the guys coming around the bend. That's a fact.

Ive no probs with Jimbo but past History between Mark/Harvey means he cant believe what we do. Already dismissed any attempt we make at 1000bhp as lies if its not done at his place . But I like Jimbo .

Think this thread has got me fired up again a few haters need to be hit in the record books again .
And here I am again
I do not dismiss anything rod and how you can sit and type that I don't know.

I beleive what I see with my own eyes not what I'm told rod, so how you think I don't beleive anything mark does is beyond me..
Old 12-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Fullflush

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the AG Focus running 1000bhp with a Harvey engine? Sorry if I've missed the car with a MAD 1000bhp YB in.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:14 PM
longdog
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the AG Focus running 1000bhp with a Harvey engine? Sorry if I've missed the car with a MAD 1000bhp YB in.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Isn't this thread about top speed and not about the first to 1000 bhp in a yb?
Old 12-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Fullflush

I get the feeling that dyno can't read > 1000, so it's probably a touch more.

I've not said it's the first, I know one has been done before by JEMS/GEMS, which was done for outright power rather than drivability and a nice curve
Old 13-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

But I think it would take a very different spec of engine to be able to produce that kind of power and hold it flat out for the amount of time you'd need to do a top speed run without it destroying itself that one that has been built for track use or quarter mile drag runs, which I think is what they are trying to develop. Awesome achievements but 2 totally different purposes
Old 13-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I found corner or hard launch doesn't make much difference at all.

Exit speed is roughly 70 on normal road tyres, more on sticky stuff.

This gives a rough idea, i could have been more on it nut not much.

I ran in Statlers 997 turbo the same day from a standing start and with a run, and the speed was 204/205 respectively.

Rick
Old 13-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
I found corner or hard launch doesn't make much difference at all.

Exit speed is roughly 70 on normal road tyres, more on sticky stuff.

This gives a rough idea, i could have been more on it nut not much.

Unicorn Audi S4 Launch and Top Speed run Vmax - YouTube

I ran in Statlers 997 turbo the same day from a standing start and with a run, and the speed was 204/205 respectively.

Rick
Why waste the clutch launching it and accelerating to 80/90 mph then to brake and tootle around the corner at 50?? Or were you timing acceleration?
Old 13-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I would expect a 4wd car to corner slower but post apex exit much harder, especially when compared to around 800 bhp and rear wheel drive old school fairly light car.
Old 13-11-2014, 05:12 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

If the speed on the video is to be believed accurate in real time, then it would seem that speed vs distance after the corner exit is very poor compared to what should be possible from a standing start based on distance measurements.

The colour change on the surface seems to be around 75mph, potentially 580feet from where a standing start might leave you.

IMO a powerful 4wd car should easily be seeing 100+ by that distance

It'd be interesting to see some of Karl's VBox logs of distance with his GTR and the standing starts. I'd think with a good launch, he could be 115+ around the 600 feet mark