General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dashcams - What do you guys have / recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Dashcams - What do you guys have / recommend?

Hi guys,
Been thinking about getting a dashcam for a while but an incident last night got me more geared up to obtain one which I will do today all being well.

Was driving down the M6 when the car in front started wandering a little between lanes... suddenly, he slammed his brakes on and guess what, no brake lights...

This meant my reaction time was slower than usual as it wasn't until I noticed the distance closing fast that I reacted, as opposed to seeing his brake lights come on. So... I didnt hit the clown, (who i suspect nodded off and woke up with a start) and was able to just steer round him but it occured to me that, being behind him, had I hit him I would by default be the driver at fault and it would have been handy to prove how events unfolded...

So, does anyone on here use them and if so, what can you recommend.
I want one with GPS so I can prove times, dates and speed too. Would also be interested if there are any out there with an external cam input that also record the view behind.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

depends on your budget. Plenty on the market with GPS that you can do nice google maps overlays onto.

YOu can get some good chinese tat off ebay but with all the chinese stuff you have to do your research to ensure you are ordering a good product.

If you want warranty and all that then theres loads to choose from eg roadhawk, Nextbase, Blackvue, Mi, to name just a few of the main brands.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 AM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm also interested in this. Sad to think like it but I'm doing more mileage lately and would like to protect myself. That said I seem to encounter the most dickheads nearest home!

I've a reversing camera that I can have on the screen while driving, the idea being to keep an eye on whatever you're towing. Mines a leased truck so whatever is fitted needs to be able to be removed without damage.

Also how does it work? Obviously if it's recording speed etc.. Do you just edit it down to the portion you need? I know you would volunteer the footage to protect yourself in the event of an accident but you could potentially incriminate yourself you had just been doing 90 down the outside lane a few minutes before. While unrelated maybe it wouldn't enforce your case!

How good are the apps you can get?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have thought a phone app makes the most sense, although not tried any personally.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
depends on your budget. Plenty on the market with GPS that you can do nice google maps overlays onto.
Indeed, but doing a bit of research it seems the build quality on almost everything available is bloody variable with a huge number of people reporting faults, DOA's etc etc.... so far this one looks the best option.
(mini 0803)

Old 02-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you fancy being creative about it, I remember seeing a raspberry pi solution that records to a separate ssd, or a nuc with separate gps ,ssd, and usb camera.
or the normal available ones warren said...
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Indeed, but doing a bit of research it seems the build quality on almost everything available is bloody variable with a huge number of people reporting faults, DOA's etc etc.... so far this one looks the best option.
Thats what makes a phone app seem so good, you already have top quality hardware with you at all times anyway.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Chip
I would have thought a phone app makes the most sense, although not tried any personally.
I understand your view, but i can only see that being a headache having to have your phone high up in the middle of the screen for optimum recording angle. I want something small and discrete hidden up behind the rear view mirror that can just sit there forever and I pop the memory card out of should I ever need to access the footage.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Eagle
if you fancy being creative about it
I dont.
Fit and hopefully clean forget it exists and never have to look at it again is my aim.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:59 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I use a Garmin Virb Elite for cycling, and in the car, and its got GPS, can control off your phone, you can swim with it and theres plenty of mounts available as it comes with an adapter for go-pro mounts too

I have to say as an action cam its pretty damn good.....you can also choose to inset a map into the video once downloaded to your pc so you have a location onscreen on the film

I was sceptical when i had it as the reviews pointed to awful sotware glitches, however that seems to be in the past, mine is very stable and works with no fuss

Just seen your post above...ignore this then as its not a fit and forget lol
Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 AM
mcst

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I considered a go pro or similar but same as stu, I want it in there all the time without the arseache of taking it out when parked up, or that one time you think you wont bother.......
Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Chip

I understand your view, but i can only see that being a headache having to have your phone high up in the middle of the screen for optimum recording angle. I want something small and discrete hidden up behind the rear view mirror that can just sit there forever and I pop the memory card out of should I ever need to access the footage.
Yes thats a very fair point.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

I dont.
Fit and hopefully clean forget it exists and never have to look at it again is my aim.
My mates just got one that fantastic, I'll find out what it s called
Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM
kevchard
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This company make lots of car gadgets for speed cams, laser detectors etc and have now branched out to dashcams.
Ive not tried one nor am i affiliated with them, but it is one i would buy if the state of poor drivers gets even worse :-

http://dashcam.co.uk/

Cheers
Kevin
Old 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00G...ref=mp_s_a_1_1

This one
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Indeed, but doing a bit of research it seems the build quality on almost everything available is bloody variable with a huge number of people reporting faults, DOA's etc etc....
Which is why you have to do your research. You will find the forums for dashcams tend to even say which seller to look for on ebay and which firmware or batch is the reliable one.

But its a risk you take trying to get a camera for sub Ł100 that the professionals would retail for Ł300.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Ive ordered the one in the youtube video.
Will update with info when I have it.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:21 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Witn...item3cd1daeea0

i fit these at work and they seem to be spot on. only issue we have had is with the memory cards playing up. since changing to "better" cards we have had no issues. they are small enought to go behind the interior mirror so you can fit and forget. just remember to put it in the wiper sweep. suprising how many are not. the ones i posted are hardwired in unlike the one in the vid, so that you cant forget to remove it and accidently record over footage.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got one of these Stu...

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhaw...ar-camera.html

Great company to deal with and very helpful.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm sure like the rest of us petrol heads your own driving is impeccable and you will be quite happy to share all your footage
For our own road rage moments there's always the option to pull the power chord out
We all look forward to seeing the video footage of those acceleration runs you've been doing of late
Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have two of the ones stu has ordered paid 58-00 for the two of them
one in my work car and one in the kuga hard wired so they come on when the car is started up
they are pretty decent for the money and had a few near misses that i bothered to take off the sd card to watch again
i got them after a 2 year ban and 3 months in the clink, they could have saved my ass then
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Search for Techmoan on YouTube.

He has done loads of reviews, very informal and shows all aspects of the cams he tests both night and say while out in his car. Shows you the features, build quality, ease of fitment etc.

I've been looking into these quite a bit lately but have a very tight budget. But the cheapest one seems to have the best picture quality.

G1W dash cam. About Ł25-Ł30 without memory card.

Something to think about as well is do you really want GPS recording your speed? You don't want to incriminate your self. Even 1 mph over the limit would cause issues with insurance no doubt.

After looking at the higher price of the market they really ain't worth the money. They seem to not record on a loop very well and skip slightly after each segment is recorded. Picture quality is flawed and it's expensive to replace if someone wants to rob it.

Also front and rear facing (one seperate cam in the rear window) is an option.

Again that Techmoan on YouTube has tested these as well so worth watching a few of his video reviews on there.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221483068637

http://youtu.be/Eo76bkytA3o

Skip to 5 min 10 sec for the footage of the cam.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 PM
CHRISP

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

i've not long bought one of these (awaiting delivery) and it seems to be ok for what i'm going to use it for tbh.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD-D...#ht_701wt_1190

has a reasonable review on you-tube