General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cmax

Search this Thread

Old 25-01-2014, 08:08 PM
kusunagi
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cmax

Hi all. Have a prob with my 2006 cmax 1.6 tdci. Before I get into any details as I'm new here i want to check I'm posting into the correct forum.

Thanks
Old 25-01-2014, 08:11 PM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Post away. If the mods don't like it they'll just move it.
Old 25-01-2014, 08:33 PM
kusunagi
Virgin

OK. To cut a long story short. 2006 Cmax 1.6Tdci (90) engine. 2 months since owning and I get car cuts out after starting with warnings of stearing failure and engine fault on the LCD screen. Car will either move very slowly or not at all. Restart car and all is good. Its ittermitant so the car will work fine occasionally. Fault code when I got one was U0155 lost com's with instrument cluster. Checked fuses and wiring into fuse box all ok. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 25-01-2014, 08:42 PM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Possibly a bad connection inside the instrument cluster. Replaced a few now. Take the instrument cluster out and wiggle it about while its plugged in and running. See if any warning messages pop up.
Old 25-01-2014, 09:19 PM
kusunagi
Virgin

Thanks for the reply. This will be what I check next. I,m thinking take out and clean with wd40 and dry if it shows a warning message? My wife tells me the car is now showing engine management light. I can't fault check the error code till she gets back. I'll post it in the morning.
Old 26-01-2014, 07:05 PM
kusunagi
Virgin

E management light switched itself off. Same code as before on fault reader. Did a self check on the car and see the battery was only giving 11.9V and after starting went up to 13.9-14. Took for a short drive and left car for 10 mins tried self test again and batt was 9.9v started up drove down road and car cut out with the same faults. So getting a new batt tomorrow and see if the fault happens again.
Old 26-01-2014, 07:13 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

They give all sorts of weird faults when the battery is knackered, surprised it even starts with only 9.9v in the battery at rest!
Old 26-01-2014, 07:27 PM
kusunagi
Virgin

It took a few seconds to start. I'm guessing it used all the battery's power to start and that's why it cut out just down the road. At least I'm hoping that's the case. Heard so many stories of failed egr valves, turbos sooted up etc. I'm gonna give it a oil service this week also as I here the engines in these are a bit fussy.
Old 29-01-2014, 08:16 PM
kusunagi
Virgin

OK just an update. Wasn't the batt but needed a new one anyway. Haven't had time to take out cluster yet but looked around it today while engine was running and noticed a mark at the top which looks like its been taken out before. Put a little pressure on the cluster and it instantly threw up a load of faults and cut acceleration. So my plan is to take it out and see what's what. Did some research and this is a known manufacturing fault with Ford. Water seeps in under the window due to poor beading/seals into the cluster. It was on watchdog in 2008. Affects fiestas, focus and cmax. Ford will fix and replace cluster for £99 if your car is proven to be defected. Think I'll try cleaning it myself first before giving any money to Ford just yet.