General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2014, 05:59 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by nickscunny
If you choose to pay for a tax disc on monthly direct debit, Does that that mean you can miss a few months if the car is off the road?

NO
You are still buying a 12 month or 6 month invisible disc.

They expire just as current ones do.
Old 18-01-2014, 06:22 PM
andrewmctiernan
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the seller redeems tax at point of sale and when collecting new car rings up and pays online?
how will this hinder side of the road traders?
Old 18-01-2014, 06:31 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a stupid and massively difficult task when buying, so sellers will always have to supply a full V5 and not just a green slip as the number on it you need to tax online
Old 18-01-2014, 06:37 PM
andrewmctiernan
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe, im out of touch but do people sell cars with just the new keeper slip?
whats to be gained
Old 18-01-2014, 07:02 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

cant see dvla spending money on a computer revamp and people to man phones when they are trying to save money.

The only way it could work is when you send you V5 in that's when tax is stopped for previous owner who knows how it will work eh.
Old 18-01-2014, 07:11 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmctiernan
whats to be gained
Unless you sell to a trader passing on the New keeper slip and returning the V5 to DVLA is the correct process.

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
This is a stupid and massively difficult task when buying, so sellers will always have to supply a full V5 and not just a green slip as the number on it you need to tax online
The V5 Document reference is on the new keeper slip
Old 18-01-2014, 07:13 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmctiernan
whats to be gained
Because that is the correct/legal way it is supposed to be done.

If you hand over the V5 on trust....lets see where that can get you when the buyer doesnt register it in their name, runs up a few tickets, then sells it on after a week or 3.
Old 18-01-2014, 08:08 PM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Also, as said this is assuming everyone is internet savvy and has a computer, I know a lot of older people who have no computer or internet, but drive a car and use old fashioned Post Office to tax their car!
Our society is increasingly penalising people who don't use internet or just like using plain old cash, not everyone is a silver surfer.
I shouldn't really be saying this as I studied IT at college and spent 20 years keyboard bashing for a living.

Last edited by STEVEST24; 18-01-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 18-01-2014, 08:21 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Well I guess someone will be making money and it won't be us guys
Old 19-01-2014, 10:07 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
I think most people understand the fact that they have to pay taxes to fund the infrastructure of the country but i think people would like to see more of it being spent in the areas where the tax is being generated from. The government reels in about £40 billion in motoring taxes but only spends about 22% of this on road maintenance and improvements.
Can you honestly say that you are happy with the state of our roads?
good point, but in the end does it matter where the revenue comes from? we need to think of the country and society as a whole, not just individuals where the selfish wants of one come before the basic needs of others.

i am relatively happy with the state of the uk roads. they could be better and i would prefer more to be spent on them, and i'd like that to come from efficiency improvements in the healthcare system ideally. but all of these things take time and we need to give governments the chance to let their long term policies take effect and not just change them out every 4 or 5 years because we don't see any change or any difference between their performances.

still, overall i think motoring in this country is cheap. it must be because so many of us on here have vehicles for a hobby rather than a necessary means of transport. many millions of people in other countries don't have that luxury.
Old 19-01-2014, 11:19 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if everything was ring fenced then we wouldn't be raising the price of petrol to pay for extra teachers and firemen and police etc

i wouldn't mind having cheap petrol if it meant that i had to pay a little bit more for other stuff

and the way things are going, i'd rather go private than have the nhs, at least i'd like to be able to opt out as my ni costs me more (well it did) than my private healthcare for my whole family
Old 19-01-2014, 03:40 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
and the way things are going, i'd rather go private than have the nhs, at least i'd like to be able to opt out as my ni costs me more (well it did) than my private healthcare for my whole family
i'm sure many would - but then who pays for the healthcare of those that can't afford to do that? another example of thinking of the best for an individual and not for society as a whole
Old 19-01-2014, 04:10 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i'm sure many would - but then who pays for the healthcare of those that can't afford to do that? another example of thinking of the best for an individual and not for society as a whole
The problem with the overburderned and very top heavy NHS.....is that they seem to put many of it's own British citizens onto waiting lists hoping they will die before having to spend on treatment.

A couple of times so far my family have had to pay for private treatment, because the NHS were simply doing nothing except scheduling and rescheduling appointments.

The tax intake isnt the problem, they do not need more taxes.

They just need to stop squandering the money extorted from us, and make sure it actually goes to those who are entitled to it.

Billions seem to get wasted every year whether deliberately or through stupidity.

Of course, none if this justifies taking such huge sums of money from motorists though. Even more so when cars are our hobbies, as well as often essential to get about !

Do they tax any other hobbies in such vast amounts ?
Old 19-01-2014, 04:19 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

It would be an either/or situation so some will and dine won't
I'd do the sane for education, if you are giubg private then your kids are getting paid for so the money can be spread over more of the council types