General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

garage drama, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by botters
no they massivley overcharge! if i asked prices like that at my garage i would not have any work full stop
except its not the dealers who overcharge but the manufacturer.

The dealers been got round the balls by being a branded dealer.

Its the manufacturer who should be getting the stick.

Ive bought common parts from ford and landrover and the landrover part cost significantly more despite being identical except for being in a LR box rather than ford.

Its a rip off scam. Also the manufacturer wont tell you the "equivilent" part number as most of them are under Non disclosure agreements so although a company may make an identical part for ford, jag and land rover, they wont tell you its the same bit, you have to do the donkey work.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM
rs2kgary
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
except its not the dealers who overcharge but the manufacturer.

The dealers been got round the balls by being a branded dealer.

Its the manufacturer who should be getting the stick.

Ive bought common parts from ford and landrover and the landrover part cost significantly more despite being identical except for being in a LR box rather than ford.

Its a rip off scam. Also the manufacturer wont tell you the "equivilent" part number as most of them are under Non disclosure agreements so although a company may make an identical part for ford, jag and land rover, they wont tell you its the same bit, you have to do the donkey work.
its NOT the manufacturer who over charge did you not read my post on page one,our company was being screwed down in price by the big car companies to a bare minimum and £25 for a pas pump is not a lot of money when you consider it costs 100's of ££ to buy one from a dealer,we also supplied UNIPART with the exact same pumps from the same machines but in a unipart box and they would charge half the price or more than half for an oe part,so someone is making a BIG mark up and it was not the manufacturer
cheeRS gary
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Brooklands
Virgin

Originally Posted by Adam.
You have took it to main dealer, that's your problem,
Take it to a local trustworthy garage and they will do it all for well within your £1000 per claim warranty

Every time cars go to main dealer they do there "free visual health check"

Which is touting for work
These are very wise words. Warranties, in my experience are scarcely worth the paper they are written on.....sadly.....
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i spent the first 13 years of my career working for 3 different main dealers hence why i know it is the dealers not just the manufacturers making a massive mark up two examples at citroen buying in a clutch for a xantia at £28+vat and selling it out at £115+vat and bmw charging £75 to fit a sidelight bulb on an e46 3 series
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rs2kgary
its NOT the manufacturer who over charge did you not read my post on page one,our company was being screwed down in price by the big car companies to a bare minimum and £25 for a pas pump is not a lot of money when you consider it costs 100's of ££ to buy one from a dealer,we also supplied UNIPART with the exact same pumps from the same machines but in a unipart box and they would charge half the price or more than half for an oe part,so someone is making a BIG mark up and it was not the manufacturer
cheeRS gary
As I would also like to place an order for 30,000 PAS pump please over the next 2 years, so IF you can sell them to me at £25 - please remember no one works for free, then you will gross from me £750k over the next 2 years (£375k per annum) which I would have thought was a significant order, or, can you not actually sell them for that?

Not really I don't need any PAS pumps, but remember, I would be having to outlay this 3/4 million pound to have them in stock, and that is just one part in one order, from one manufacturer.

Originally Posted by botters
i spent the first 13 years of my career working for 3 different main dealers hence why i know it is the dealers not just the manufacturers making a massive mark up two examples at citroen buying in a clutch for a xantia at £28+vat and selling it out at £115+vat and bmw charging £75 to fit a sidelight bulb on an e46 3 series
So why then after so many years in business are you not a millionaire? in fact judging by your previous posts your business treads enough water just to keep you happy?

How's your holiday pay looking? Does your own company contribute to your pension scheme?

I'm not having a dig, it's just some people who slate the dealers, who slag off people for over charging have no idea on the bigger picture.

If it was so easy to undercut the dealerships then why are there so many independent garages closing?

Yes I have worked in the dealerships, and the independents, I have my own thoughts on both, I know where I would put my money, and it definitely is not into owning a garage. ROI is far too small for me.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM
rs2kgary
Virgin

Originally Posted by markk
As I would also like to place an order for 30,000 PAS pump please over the next 2 years, so IF you can sell them to me at £25 - please remember no one works for free, then you will gross from me £750k over the next 2 years (£375k per annum) which I would have thought was a significant order, or, can you not actually sell them for that?

Not really I don't need any PAS pumps, but remember, I would be having to outlay this 3/4 million pound to have them in stock, and that is just one part in one order, from one manufacturer.

So why then after so many years in business are you not a millionaire? in fact judging by your previous posts your business treads enough water just to keep you happy?

How's your holiday pay looking? Does your own company contribute to your pension scheme?

I'm not having a dig, it's just some people who slate the dealers, who slag off people for over charging have no idea on the bigger picture.

If it was so easy to undercut the dealerships then why are there so many independent garages closing?

Yes I have worked in the dealerships, and the independents, I have my own thoughts on both, I know where I would put my money, and it definitely is not into owning a garage. ROI is far too small for me.
30,000 over 2 years is not a big order lol,the company i worked for made 111 pas pumps an hour off of just 1 line and we had 4 lines going and that was 24 hours a day for 5 days a week thats 53,280 a week.we did supply all the big car manufacturers , before anyone doubts my figures and i should know cause i used to build them and did so for 8 years.it all went to Brazil in the end for the cheap labour rates they paid the workers.
cheeRS gary
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rs2kgary
30,000 over 2 years is not a big order lol,the company i worked for made 111 pas pumps an hour off of just 1 line and we had 4 lines going and that was 24 hours a day for 5 days a week thats 53,280 a week.we did supply all the big car manufacturers , before anyone doubts my figures and i should know cause i used to build them and did so for 8 years.it all went to Brazil in the end for the cheap labour rates they paid the workers.
cheeRS gary

I full believe you, I did some comparison tests a few years ago when looking at ford 909 ZF 90bar/100 bar pumps, found them everywhere when I looked properly, all I have to do was unbolt the bracketry and fit it to to another MFR's pump.

53280 *52 weeks 2770560 * £25 = £69264000 per year in turn over. The company probably did ok out of that, even if the profit margin was small per unit, bulk orders subsidise this type is mass production.

People on here really struggle at time to forecast incomings/outgoings and the required costs to open the doors.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM
rs2kgary
Virgin

Originally Posted by markk
I full believe you, I did some comparison tests a few years ago when looking at ford 909 ZF 90bar/100 bar pumps, found them everywhere when I looked properly, all I have to do was unbolt the bracketry and fit it to to another MFR's pump.

53280 *52 weeks 2770560 * £25 = £69264000 per year in turn over. The company probably did ok out of that, even if the profit margin was small per unit, bulk orders subsidise this type is mass production.

People on here really struggle at time to forecast incomings/outgoings and the required costs to open the doors.
on the jag pas pump we made a loss on each one lol it cost the company £27 each to make one adding in all the costs but the volume was so small we took it on the chin,the other pumps we made about £1 on each but the car manufacturers wanted us to cut even more of the cost down which we could not do so the company up sticks and fucked off to Brazil
cheeRS gary
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

So how did u get on with the fucked 4x4 then ? ^ boring and off topic.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the garage has now replied to the email, and have now agreed to pick up the car from aberdeen and take it to there middlesbourgh garage, repair all the dramas and then drop the car off again,
happy enough with that like, done deal
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by smitsturbo
the garage has now replied to the email, and have now agreed to pick up the car from aberdeen and take it to there middlesbourgh garage, repair all the dramas and then drop the car off again,
happy enough with that like, done deal
Good result (although they should not have sold it in the condition it was....) - it's this kind of service and back-up you get from going to a proper garage and probably paying a bit of a premium to what you would over a back street who would have more than likely washed their hands of all responsibility.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

u wanna make sure they actually do ALL the work they said they would, I would get the car up and double check it all

but great result BTW