General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

garage drama, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garage drama, advice needed

I've not been on here as much in recent years but i've often got good advice,

anyways, i baught a 2005 landrover discovery 3 tdv6 for £16k from a garage in middlesbourgh 5 weeks ago,

so i took it home to aberdeenshire and whilst reversing i noticed the sensors don't work, the next day the petrol cap opened itself and wouldn't stay closed and then there was clunking coming from the front, so i called the garage i bought it from and they told me to put it into a garage and get it checked out and get them to call them with there findings,

so 4 weeks later (monday) because of a waiting list at landrover aberdeen they emailed me all this....

Below follows the list of items that we have picked up-

Clunking Noise:
Found knocking coming from hydro bushes and bottom ball joints - Requires N/S and O/S front arms - £978.04
Excessive play in N/S and O/S track rods - Requires N/S and O/S track rods - £275.78
Excessive play in N/S/F track rod end - Requires N/S/F track rod end - £203.18
Excessive play in N/S/R ARB Link - Requires new ARB link - £117.92

Parking Sensors:
Parking sensors inop-requires the rear bumper off to further investigate - £156.00
May require new sensor or wiring repair - £471.88 - worst case

Petrol Cap:
Fuel flap locking mechanics broken - requires new locking mechanics - £46.74

Other items:
Rear wiper torn - £30.26
N/S/R brake seized - Requires strip and check - £246.73
Front to rear brake pipe badly corodded - replace front to rear brake pipes - £524.29
Main prop shaft rubber bearing split - requires new prop shaft - £596.08

Heat sheild for prop shaft rotten and insecure - requires new prop shaft heat shield - £105.45
N/S/R mudflap broken - Requires new mudflap - £114.99

All the prices I have quoted above are including VAT and including parts and labour

now when i baught the car i got a 'warrenty 2000' to a total of £1000??

so now a guy from that warrenty company is going into landrover aberdeen on monday to have a look at it....no idea why? surely he doesnt believe landrover mechanics

so... do you think this garage would pay to sort all that or do you think they would take it back?

im shitting it incase they try to fuck me off with that bill but clearly they dont have a leg to stand on as ive only had it 5 weeks..

whats your thaughts?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

tbh used car warranties are very vague from my experience.youve got to read the small print to see whats covered.majority of the time warranty companies will only cover major items ie engine blown or gearbox blown.

hopefully though youll get it all covered.seems a lot of work that needs doing and don't like that companies labour rates lol
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

You have took it to main dealer, that's your problem,
Take it to a local trustworthy garage and they will do it all for well within your £1000 per claim warranty

Every time cars go to main dealer they do there "free visual health check"

Which is touting for work
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Adam.
You have took it to main dealer, that's your problem,
Take it to a local trustworthy garage and they will do it all for well within your £1000 per claim warranty

Every time cars go to main dealer they do there "free visual health check"

Which is touting for work
but should i accept any less work than whats on that list though?

in my eyes ive been sold a car that transports my child un-road worthy... with especially all the brake problems
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Wow. Thats a good old list of problems. I cant see to many car garages gettin under the car to check in as much detail as listed . As long as its got an MOT there happy.

But if the warrenty covers it then the garage wouldnt have to pay as i would of thought they pay a middle man for there warrentys ?? I could b wrong .
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 AM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Mostly common problems to be honest, going by the other halfs dads one. And they aren't the easiest to work on, bolts sieze up and snap, bottom arm replacements end up needing 9" grinders and reciprocating saws.
Bits arent the cheapest either.
If I were you I would be trying to get my money back and rid of the car.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is any of the work listed an MOT failure? If so then they have sold you a car that's not fit for purpose surely?

Get in touch with Citizens Advice, i'm pretty sure you're within your rights to return it. A friend is going through the same thing at the moment, albeit with a Ford Kuga.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks, i'll see what happens tomorrow when the warranty guy goes to look at it, i'll let you know what happens
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM
m8late

Drive it straight to the garage you bought it from and sit there with your hand on the horn until they give you your money back.

Even if they fixed everything, it is clearly a lemon. There will be things going wrong left right and centre over the coming years. The car they sold was not fit for purpose and you are entitled to reject it.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM
taycoss
PassionFord Regular

Im surprised they had any mechanics to check it there as they usually have to get them to come up rd. Would of advised going to greenbank.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
rallycross
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should not have take an 8 year old car to a main dealer for their opinion and some of those prices are plain ridiculous an independent mot station will give you an accurate view.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Why not?

If you're going for a repair potentially paid by someone else then i'd rather get a nuts and bolts breakdown of the worst case cost. Did this with a Porsche a few years ago, that was pre-purchase tho.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a garage owner your one of my worst nightmares , involving main dealers and there free checks with a recently purchased car = one big fucking head ache
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by richard youll
As a garage owner your one of my worst nightmares , involving main dealers and there free checks with a recently purchased car = one big fucking head ache

Whilst I can see where you are coming from as many main dealers are incompetent.

Lets face it, those who sell cars are usually far less than honest and often just try and move vehicles on without spending any money on them at all other than a good clean.

There are 2 issues here. If that vehicle was sold with a valid MOT, and even more so a recent one, it does bring into question whether it was a blind man who carried out the test.
If it was an older MOT, and maybe high miles or hard usage in between, didnt the selling garage carry out any sort of inspection prior to sale ? Selling such an unroadworthy vehicle is surely illegal ?
Assuming all the suspension and brake issues are legit.

If car dealers sold honest vehicles in good condition after a proper inspection and repair...you'd never have those headaches or customers returning

Last edited by stevieturbo; 01-09-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
andy888
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

how many miles has it done?

regardless of miles since it was last mot'd, even the previous years mot, there is no way it can need all that front end suspension parts changing. they cant all have possibly just worn to a sorry state since the last mot! i work on these cars alot.

they are some on suspension parts but within reason!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
pedroS2RST
Part of the Furniture

I would completely ignore the main dealer report if I were you, the fact they want £115 to supply and fit a mud flap would have me asking questions for a start.

I made the mistake of taking my 9 year old passat to a main dealer for a service. By the time they had read off the list of things they wanted me to get done (just down to the age of the car never mind if it needed done btw) I would have been looking at a bill for more than the car was worth.

The best one was they wanted £400 to supply and fit a new undertray as they old one was cracked and there was some clips missing. Never again.

Also I find the main dealers definition of "badly corroded" and "excessive play" to be quite different from your average mechanics!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by m8late
Drive it straight to the garage you bought it from and sit there with your hand on the horn until they give you your money back.
I like your style.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As well as the warranty companies inspection, it may be advisable to get an independent inspection done on the car too. AA/RAC for example.

Yes, the VHC in main dealers is designed to 'upsell' work. Main dealers are there to make money after all and have monthly budget 'targets' and all that BS. Some do take the piss pushing techs to find work (mentioning no names) But in most cases VHC is a quick look around whilst doing the booked in job (service/mot) noting tyre depths and any obvious faults (clue is in the name 'visual health check') and takes about 0.3hrs (18mins)

By the look of the OPs report it's a write off!

Last edited by GVK.; 01-09-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

£35 for a wiper is a piss take too. You did the right thing going to a main dealer but be realistic as well,the cars 2005,there could be a slight amount of surface rust on those brake pipes and now the garage want silly money to replace "all" front to rear pipes.

I'd be looking into getting the suspension and electrical work done on warranty and accept the rest as your own problems but if you shout loud enough and bother them they may just take it back/repair it all.

I always fancied one of those having been in one brand new which felt really rapid but they seem to have so many issues its unreal!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

To those saying £115 and £35 for a mudflap and wiper is just silly. I take it you have never purchased any genuine parts from a main dealer ?

Those prices certainly dont sound out of the ordinary to me. Dealers dont use cheap generic parts made in China, so often certain parts can be very expensive.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Agreed. Some genuine parts prices are scary!

Some examples from a job I've been doing recently.
Ford Transit 2.2 TDCI service engine (minus all ancillaries) £3900 + vat.
Ford Transit crank sensor - £122 + vat
Ford Transit DPF filter - £1033 + vat (without the EGT sensors/fuel atomiser)

Fiat 500s have a couple of vac breather hoses that split, one of them is about £13 which isn't bad as it's a 'shaped' piece. But the other is a bit of 5-6mm bore straight hose and it's £25!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
pacificzetecturbo
PassionFord Regular

Most used car warranties do not cover wear and tear so bushes rusty pipes etc wouldnt be covered, a warranty is for mechanical or electrical failure. Also a warranty company will not pay out for a fault that was present at the point of sale. A used car is a used car at the end of the day, if its road worthy then that in my eyes is fair, it will have worn parts on it as its not a new car. I do agree with whoever it was that said about free health checks etc as they do them to get further work, they don't just do them to just help us folk with how good or bad our cars are.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
To those saying £115 and £35 for a mudflap and wiper is just silly. I take it you have never purchased any genuine parts from a main dealer ?

Those prices certainly dont sound out of the ordinary to me. Dealers dont use cheap generic parts made in China, so often certain parts can be very expensive.
Not questioning the fact dealers have a huge mark up on "genuine" parts,although I'm pretty certain a wiperblade on a range rover is not made in a land rover factory but bought in from Bosch,Lucas etc hence £35 for the SAME part you get from Bosch for £10 is a pisstake.

My point is more that taking a 7 year old truck to a main dealer and expecting £5000's worth of repairs is gonna raise eyebrows in the warranty company who will most likely say it can be done for a 1/3 of that price.

It's a totally reasonable thing to do but perhaps not a REALISTIC thing to do.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by pacificzetecturbo
Most used car warranties do not cover wear and tear so bushes rusty pipes etc wouldnt be covered, a warranty is for mechanical or electrical failure. Also a warranty company will not pay out for a fault that was present at the point of sale. A used car is a used car at the end of the day, if its road worthy then that in my eyes is fair, it will have worn parts on it as its not a new car. I do agree with whoever it was that said about free health checks etc as they do them to get further work, they don't just do them to just help us folk with how good or bad our cars are.

Correct, but many items here are not warranty matters. They are down to the seller potentially selling a poor condition and unroadworthy vehicle.

Which also raises legal issues as well as trading standards.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would guess the warranty company will decide what is and isn't covered in their policy, and then pay up to £1k and leave the rest to you to sort.

I would guess if you took any 8 year old car to a main dealers and asked them to check it over you would have a similar sized list, would be interesting to see what the main dealers list would have been if they had sold the car to you.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Which garage was it you bought it from in Middlesbrough?
Thats where I'm from

Steve
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 AM
first_cosworth
Regular Contributor

You paid 16 k for an 8 year old disco???
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Lets face it, those who sell cars are usually far less than honest and often just try and move vehicles on without spending any money on them at all other than a good clean.

If car dealers sold honest vehicles in good condition after a proper inspection and repair...you'd never have those headaches or customers returning
Its the way of the motor trade.

If they were honest and fixed things/sold them at a fair price then there would be no money in it.

So without more consumer laws to force them to behave, they will always try and get away with fucking you over if they can. Greed and desire for more money = root of all evil
Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Take it back
Retrieve your money
Buy a different motor

Or

Get it fixed
At least then you will know its all sorted
Old 03-09-2013, 02:25 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Personally, I think the garage / warranty company should foot the bill for getting the car to an MOT standard, anything else is up to you. I wouldn't expect an old disco to be in new condition.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Rudders666
ST330 :D

Regardless of being fleeced at sale the onus is still with the garage to replace faulty items on the car. The amount of time it took Landrover to fit you in wasn't great to be fair as the more time that passes the lower your rights are for refund or repair. When I bought mine, no more than 2 weeks later the ABS pump went and had to be replaced, the garage took it straight back, gave me a courtesy car for 2 weeks and replaced it, costing them about £900. No fuss though and all sorted for me. Good luck with it. Don't take any of their crap though you want full replacement parts (at a garage of their choice if necessary, or a reliable one of yours) with full receipts for the work carried out. That or you don't want the car. Once they realise that that's the hand your playing they'll probably stump up for the repairs as opposed to losing £16k. It's a much better outcome for them. Always kick up a fuss, always complain. You never get anywhere without it.

Also I find it particularly useful to walk into the showroom/onto the forecourt, collar the nearest bod and start going off at them loudly about how you've been sold an un-roadworthy car etc etc, it's gotten me plenty in the past. They don't want other potential customers lost and that's the upshot.

Last edited by Rudders666; 03-09-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks for the advice, 14k it cost me sorry,

i wouldn't like to name the garage yet because if they fix it then or refund me then i'll be happy,

the warranty guy came and saw it and the conclusion was that none of the faults above where covered by the warranty, so after talking to the garage I've had to send her a list of all the faults in an email but i sent it in a citizens advice formatted email allong with a recorded post letter, tomorrow i'll call her and see what she says,

this is only the second car I've ever bought from a garage, and the biggest drama ive ever had with a car full stop
Old 03-09-2013, 08:53 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
£35 for a wiper is a piss take too.

I have to laugh at comments like this, especially when your own business did not succeed, Im sorry but you are that reason.

Why is £35 a piss take? take off the governments VAT that leaves £28 for the dealer to buy a wiper blade, make a SMALL profit, and pay someone to fit it.

Is that too much to ask when you are in business?

And to follow that, - "dealer have huge profit margins" they feckin do not!

I had spent nearly 20 years in dealerships, managing departments, and the people who have the margins are the brand, not the franchised dealer who if they are lucky will make a nice margin of 40% on a £8 oil filter, general service items are good to sell, but the likes of suspension and steering components, slow moving items dealers are lucky if they get given a 10% margin from the brand.

They pay for a massive training package for the techs (if they are a pukka dealer - which LR are) and when you take a car in to be looked at they should look at it as if it was comparable to a new vehicle, not - oh well its just a little amount of play, or well I will leave that cracked under tray and not tell the owner.

Just mention 'Duty of care'.

BTW, VW Sharan undertrays are £270 cost plus vat to VW

I am stepping down now

To the OP, you are within your right to simply hand it back for a full refund, just don't take too long at it.

The warranty will only be named components, and for mechanical.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

fuck me they can charge!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by botters
fuck me they can charge!

No, they charge what is relevant to their business and market place.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

no they massivley overcharge! if i asked prices like that at my garage i would not have any work full stop
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by botters
no they massivley overcharge! if i asked prices like that at my garage i would not have any work full stop

OK then.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 PM
as355f1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I could pretty much sort everything on that list using genuine/ good quality parts for under a grand.
The prices they are quoting you really are a piss take !
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by markk
I have to laugh at comments like this, especially when your own business did not succeed, Im sorry but you are that reason.

Why is £35 a piss take? take off the governments VAT that leaves £28 for the dealer to buy a wiper blade, make a SMALL profit, and pay someone to fit it.

Is that too much to ask when you are in business?

And to follow that, - "dealer have huge profit margins" they feckin do not!

I had spent nearly 20 years in dealerships, managing departments, and the people who have the margins are the brand, not the franchised dealer who if they are lucky will make a nice margin of 40% on a £8 oil filter, general service items are good to sell, but the likes of suspension and steering components, slow moving items dealers are lucky if they get given a 10% margin from the brand.

They pay for a massive training package for the techs (if they are a pukka dealer - which LR are) and when you take a car in to be looked at they should look at it as if it was comparable to a new vehicle, not - oh well its just a little amount of play, or well I will leave that cracked under tray and not tell the owner.

Just mention 'Duty of care'.

BTW, VW Sharan undertrays are £270 cost plus vat to VW

I am stepping down now

To the OP, you are within your right to simply hand it back for a full refund, just don't take too long at it.

The warranty will only be named components, and for mechanical.
Very good post from someone who has obviously been in a main dealer enviroment.

I worked at a BMW dealers a few years ago £110 + vat an hour labour rate.
One of the first days I was there did a service on an E60 M5, it required discs and pads all round & 4 tyres - bill was £3000

Last edited by GVK.; 03-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
rs2kgary
Virgin

i used to build pas pumps and oil pumps for ford rover nissan etc etc and our company used to sell a pas pump to jag for £25 for the xk8 now if you went to a jag dealer for a pas pump for a xk8 you would be charged hundreds of ££££ that is some mark up IMHO in fact we sold all the pas pumps for £25 to the car companys as they were all built on the same machines
cheeRS gary

Quick Reply: garage drama, advice needed