General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What car for between 6k to 8.5k?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM
ST Racer
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What car for between 6k to 8.5k?

Been looking for a few weeks now but im still undecided although I keep finding myself looking at MK4 Mondeo's especially the Ghia and Titanium diesel models, I also like the Mazda 6 but the interior is a bit boring for me.

Looking for something reasonable on mileage and it has to be diesel too, ideas?

Last edited by ST Racer; 12-08-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:01 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Plenty of choice in that price range. Go for some test drives, and see what suits you best. I'd buy another Mk4 in a heartbeat.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:00 PM
ST Racer

To buy a mk4 there's 4 things I want, goto have a rear spoiler, convers+, 18" wheels and the updated Sony head unit.

I'm currently looking at a Ghia with the sport pack in grey, 58 reg done 24,000 miles.

Anything to lookout for in the Diesel engines?
Old 13-08-2013, 06:45 AM
NobbyClark

Received 82 Likes on 80 Posts

I currently have a MK3 Mondeo which I have owned for a couple of months and I love it. When I come to change cars in a couple of years or so, I will defo be looking for a MK4.

IMO Mondeo's drive sooo well as do most Fords and compared to other makes I have owned or driven, a Ford just feels 'right'!
Old 13-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Mk4 mondy it is then.
Old 13-08-2013, 07:11 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Lots of options in that range; B6 Passat, BMW 320d or 520d, Lexus IS220d, Vauxhall Insignia, MK4 Mondeo.

The Mondeo is a great car, but I think I'd struggle to choose one over some of the other options in that price range. I just think they look a bit dull unfortunately, unless you spend a fortune on a Titanium X Sport or similar.
Old 13-08-2013, 08:36 AM
ST Racer

Originally Posted by clarkie28
I currently have a MK3 Mondeo which I have owned for a couple of months and I love it. When I come to change cars in a couple of years or so, I will defo be looking for a MK4.

IMO Mondeo's drive sooo well as do most Fords and compared to other makes I have owned or driven, a Ford just feels 'right'!
I'm driving a mk3 LX at the moment, I've had it 3.5 years and its never missed a beat but the trade in prices are laughably low!

One more thing, I've been reading horror stories about the mk4 mondeo having steering rack issues? Apparently they start leaking and need replacing at a cost of between Ł700 to Ł1200 depending on where its done, that's kinda worrying!
Old 13-08-2013, 09:09 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Lots of options in that range; B6 Passat, BMW 320d or 520d, Lexus IS220d, Vauxhall Insignia, MK4 Mondeo.

The Mondeo is a great car, but I think I'd struggle to choose one over some of the other options in that price range. I just think they look a bit dull unfortunately, unless you spend a fortune on a Titanium X Sport or similar.
Regardless of my bias I'd have one over all the others in that list. For the money the Mondeo is better spec'd (especially the Titaniums) and drives as well as any of them - and a lot better than the dull Insignia or Passat.

Originally Posted by ST Racer
I'm driving a mk3 LX at the moment, I've had it 3.5 years and its never missed a beat but the trade in prices are laughably low!

One more thing, I've been reading horror stories about the mk4 mondeo having steering rack issues? Apparently they start leaking and need replacing at a cost of between Ł700 to Ł1200 depending on where its done, that's kinda worrying!
There are some issues with earlier Mk4s and the racks (Ł1200 would be full on main dealer pants-down price) It's easy to check - dip your finger in the power steering fluid and check for metal dust. If there is none, don't worry.

The engines are massively better than the dodgy diesels in the Mk3, and there are no where near the same number of common faults on the Mk4 than there are on the Mk3.

The Ghias have the ugliest fronts (and wood, eurgh!) but you can easily swap the grilles over from a Titanium to make them look a little less ugly. I fitted the 'Sport' front end on mine and it was easy to do and not that expensive.
Old 13-08-2013, 09:35 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

330D, enough said, get a nice E90/1/2/3 for that.
power, comfort, reliability etc.
Old 13-08-2013, 10:32 AM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Something like this maybe. 4 doors,roomy 50+mpg, capable car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...di-fr/1521335#
Old 13-08-2013, 10:37 AM
ST Racer

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
There are some issues with earlier Mk4s and the racks (Ł1200 would be full on main dealer pants-down price) It's easy to check - dip your finger in the power steering fluid and check for metal dust. If there is none, don't worry.

The engines are massively better than the dodgy diesels in the Mk3, and there are no where near the same number of common faults on the Mk4 than there are on the Mk3.

The Ghias have the ugliest fronts (and wood, eurgh!) but you can easily swap the grilles over from a Titanium to make them look a little less ugly. I fitted the 'Sport' front end on mine and it was easy to do and not that expensive.
I suppose the only thing to do if buying from a ford main dealer is to ask about the rack, the car I'm now looking at is a zetec sport on a 10 reg, I'd have thought by that year the issue would have been rectified?

It's made me start looking at diesel ford focus's again but I just can't get excited about them, I like bigger cars.
Old 13-08-2013, 10:39 AM
ST Racer

Originally Posted by S3an
Something like this maybe. 4 doors,roomy 50+mpg, capable car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...di-fr/1521335#
They do look nice but its not my cuppa tea really, I want a comfortable mile muncher that's good on juice and road tax.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:14 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I suppose the only thing to do if buying from a ford main dealer is to ask about the rack, the car I'm now looking at is a zetec sport on a 10 reg, I'd have thought by that year the issue would have been rectified?

It's made me start looking at diesel ford focus's again but I just can't get excited about them, I like bigger cars.
Im sure it was the early cars. It's not an issue that affects every Mk4. Check when you buy it, then forget about it.
Old 13-08-2013, 12:36 PM
James12345
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 10 plate Mk4 Mondeo diesel and would certainly recommend it. Owned since 3 months old and it has never missed a beat. Cheap to run and service, only expensive item so far has been 4 new tyres but it is on 18" 235's. Had a Passat before which replaced a Mk3 Mondeo and was back in the Mondeo after 12 months. The Mazda 6's are good value but I think the interior is cheaply made and it does not have the ride composure that the Mk4 Mondeo has.
Old 13-08-2013, 01:53 PM
ST Racer

Originally Posted by James12345
I have a 10 plate Mk4 Mondeo diesel and would certainly recommend it. Owned since 3 months old and it has never missed a beat. Cheap to run and service, only expensive item so far has been 4 new tyres but it is on 18" 235's. Had a Passat before which replaced a Mk3 Mondeo and was back in the Mondeo after 12 months. The Mazda 6's are good value but I think the interior is cheaply made and it does not have the ride composure that the Mk4 Mondeo has.
Sounds good, I must admit the whole steering rack issue has put me off but there still the best value for money.
Old 13-08-2013, 02:05 PM
James12345
Virgin

Sounds good, I must admit the whole steering rack issue has put me off but there still the best value for money.
I had not heard of this issue until reading this email. I think whatever you go for there will be some horror story. My old Passat had an injector go when I was on the outside lane of the M4 with my kids in the back, that was supposed to be a reliable car when in fact it is a common issue with them. I got rid of the car immediately went straight back to Ford and have not regretted it. Hope you find a reliable car you like, whatever you go for.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:06 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I might be missing something here, but MK4 Mondeos really don't seem that cheap to me. They seem just as expensive as many of their rivals. Whilst I'm sure it's a great car, to me it just looks a bit of an ugly duckling unless you have a Titanium X Sport, or one of the very latest facelift ones, and they don't exactly seem cheap.

Sad, because I'm a staunch Mondeo fan, and have owned an RS-kitted MK1, a Ghia X MK2 and currently have an ST220 as a daily, but I really couldn't see me buying another.

I'd like to see some links to the ones that are good VFM, because I'm struggling a bit!
Old 13-08-2013, 04:25 PM
James12345
Virgin

Originally Posted by massivewangers
I might be missing something here, but MK4 Mondeos really don't seem that cheap to me. They seem just as expensive as many of their rivals. Whilst I'm sure it's a great car, to me it just looks a bit of an ugly duckling unless you have a Titanium X Sport, or one of the very latest facelift ones, and they don't exactly seem cheap.

Sad, because I'm a staunch Mondeo fan, and have owned an RS-kitted MK1, a Ghia X MK2 and currently have an ST220 as a daily, but I really couldn't see me buying another.

I'd like to see some links to the ones that are good VFM, because I'm struggling a bit!
I have the facelift titanium X and I think it's a good looking car, (obviously as I have one) but I still like the older versions and think for what it is, a practical safe family car, it looks great. Although some of the poverty spec ones do look bland. You are coming from an ST220 so you've been spoilt! I am happy to think residuals are holding up well.
Old 14-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'll be watching this as I'm in the market at the mo -

Mazda 6 Diesel seems a no no though - DPF issues, like Mondeos with DMF and Injectors it seems.
Old 14-08-2013, 09:58 PM
ST Racer

I'm back looking at ford focus zetecs and titanium models, been told by a ford mechanic to stay away for the 1.6 diesel.
Old 15-08-2013, 06:40 AM
NobbyClark

IMHO, The Passat is dull, I wouldn't touch a Bimmer as my boss has had no end of trouble with his X5 which he has had from 6 months old. It has been back to the dealer 9 times with the same issue plus many more times with other problems. He had big trouble with the gear box on a nearly new M3 before the X5!

The Lexus looks like a nice motor but as the OP prefers a bigger car I guess we can rule out the Lexus.

I really like the styling of the Insignia but they are meant to be dull and boring to drive. I guess that leaves the Mondy then!

Let us know what you end up buying!!
Old 15-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

There are to many people been snobby these days and buying bmws and mercs.

Get a mk4 mondy bought.
Old 15-08-2013, 08:07 AM
James12345
Virgin

There does seem to be a lot of badge snobbery to Ford's, even on this site. I have had German cars, Audi's, VW's etc, but always come back to Ford. We have a number of cars at work and I get to drive them. For example we have a BMW 320d auto, in comparison to my Mondeo it feels cramped and unrefined. Everyone who has got in my Mondeo has been surprised by the quality and ride of the car. I think Ford has come on a long way but a lot of people cannot see past the badge, which I also do not understand as Ford has a great heritage. I could have a 5 series but I would rather have a Mondeo and a Focus ST and drive the one that suits my mood, or should I say drive the one my Mrs' doesn't want at the time.
Old 15-08-2013, 04:58 PM
NobbyClark

Well said Glenn and James12345!
Old 15-08-2013, 05:06 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fookin daylight snobbery!!
Old 15-08-2013, 06:03 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by James12345
There does seem to be a lot of badge snobbery to Ford's, even on this site. I have had German cars, Audi's, VW's etc, but always come back to Ford. We have a number of cars at work and I get to drive them. For example we have a BMW 320d auto, in comparison to my Mondeo it feels cramped and unrefined. Everyone who has got in my Mondeo has been surprised by the quality and ride of the car. I think Ford has come on a long way but a lot of people cannot see past the badge, which I also do not understand as Ford has a great heritage. I could have a 5 series but I would rather have a Mondeo and a Focus ST and drive the one that suits my mood, or should I say drive the one my Mrs' doesn't want at the time.

Well said!
Old 15-08-2013, 09:04 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

there is no reason to discount a mondeo, especially on the budget it won't be an old motor, a very refined motor indeed.
i find the e90/1/2/3's more to my liking and would fit the bill for the OP too, would be a bit older though.
Old 15-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

My wifes step dad had a mk4 mondy 1.8 diesel for over 3 years and it was 100% reliable.

People buy bms Audis mercs just to brag when there down the pub.

"What car you got mate" Ive got a bm. "You must be doing well in life and have a well paid job"

What car you got mate" Ive got a Ford Mondeo. "Poor coont"
Old 16-08-2013, 07:22 AM
James12345
Virgin

Originally Posted by Glenn_
My wifes step dad had a mk4 mondy 1.8 diesel for over 3 years and it was 100% reliable.

People buy bms Audis mercs just to brag when there down the pub.

"What car you got mate" Ive got a bm. "You must be doing well in life and have a well paid job"

What car you got mate" Ive got a Ford Mondeo. "Poor coont"
Don't you love telling people you have a 20 year old Sierra (I am making this assumption looking at the pic of your car) then watching their reaction when they see it. I would imagine people will conjure up an old banger in their mind when you in fact have an extremely desirable classic. I even see people do it with my Mondeo, I say what I have then they see it and are all but gob smacked, same with the Focus. Not to say there is anything wrong with the basic models but Ford can mix it with the big guns. I do not think they have a bad model in their range at the moment.
Old 16-08-2013, 09:57 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This isn't about badge snobbery, it's about weighing up the different options, and working out which suits you best. I'm not put off the MK4 Mondeo because it's a Mondeo, I'm put off it because, to me, it doesn't seem any better value than its rivals, so I have to look at other factors such as looks, resale value, reliability etc etc etc. To me, the Mondeo doesn't come top of the pile based on a combination of those.

If it's just an every day car, I don't care what badge it has, just that it does what I need it to!
Old 16-08-2013, 03:24 PM
ST Racer

Originally Posted by Glenn_
My wifes step dad had a mk4 mondy 1.8 diesel for over 3 years and it was reliable.
A lot of people have said the same mate, it was this thread I stumbled across that made me rethink reliability.

http://www.talkford.com/topic/205279...-details-here/
Old 24-08-2013, 11:59 AM
ST Racer

Just to bring this back, I've been looking at a Volvo V50 R-Design 2.0D having never owned one what are they like for reliability, I'd have thought they were pretty bulletproof?
Old 24-08-2013, 12:04 PM
rs clint
insane

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

buy that mk2 lol