General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is there such thing as custom concourse??

Search this Thread

Old 28-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Cheezy1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there such thing as custom concourse??

Does it exist?
Old 28-03-2013, 06:23 PM
the_frozen_one
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some shows have modified concours.

Though it could be argued by definition concours should be factory standard.

Plenty of show and shine type things too though
Old 28-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Cheezy1
BANNED
BANNED

Cheers, I wasn't sure as i always thought concourse like you said referred to factory standard. Im not keen on everything being standard and would like to incorporate some modification (no ott) into my restoration.
Old 28-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

My 3i won modified concours twice. Few years back that was!
Old 28-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Cheezy1
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Thrush
You got a picture?
Old 28-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Last edited by Thrush; 28-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 28-03-2013, 06:55 PM
the_frozen_one

Nice, love a 3i
Old 28-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I miss that car. Sure, it's "styling" is mocked now, but back then it was still relatively cool Plus it was all hand built, and was my first proper car (first car was a Fiat Uno, at 18, and that was my first real car at 19 ). Did all the prep on the body kit, painted by someone else, but all fitted by me (and friends) including the front bumper, of which there's a lot more to that meets the eye (lots of fiberglass and filler in it, but also custom made end "caps" for where we cut the centre out, so the filler wouldn't crack. The number plate holder couldn't been seen, but even that was made from 18 gauge steel and three M14 bolts welded onto it! ). Even the side repeaters were genuine Focus ones, that of course were triangle shaped on the back, so I cut the original holes in the wings with a junior hacksaw blade by hand

Interior changed to RST recraro's (later I had a 4spoke wheel in it, no pics of that), ICE installed by me and my brother;

(plus subs and amp rack in boot, no pics )

Car came with no leccy windows or central locking - found an RST in a local scrap yard so bought the doors from it for a fiver Then stripped the mechs from them and swapped into the 3i

Changed all the bushes, shocks, springs, Cos front disc and calliper conversion, full Magnex 4-2-1 manifold and system - which was actually for an Orion, so had to be chopped down in places to get it to fit

Nothing was easy on that car, but it was a labour of love, and I really loved that car!

Last edited by Thrush; 28-03-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 28-03-2013, 07:09 PM
the_frozen_one

I miss that car. Sure, it's "styling" is mocked now, but back then it was still relatively cool Plus it was all hand built, and was my first proper car (first car was a Fiat Uno, at 18, and that was my first real car at 19 ). Did all the prep on the body kit, painted by someone else, but all fitted by me (and friends) including the front bumper, of which there's a lot more to that meets the eye (lots of fiberglass and filler in it, but also custom made end "caps" for where we cut the centre out, so the filler wouldn't crack. The number plate holder couldn't been seen, but even that was made from 18 gauge steel and three M14 bolts welded onto it! ). Even the side repeaters were genuine Focus ones, that of course were triangle shaped on the back, so I cut the original holes in the wings with a junior hacksaw blade by hand

Interior changed to RST recraro's (later I had a 4spoke wheel in it, no pics of that), ICE installed by me and my brother;

Car came with no leccy windows or central locking - found an RST in a local scrap yard so bought the doors from it for a fiver Then stripped the mechs from them and swapped into the 3i

Changed all the bushes, shocks, springs, Cos front disc and calliper conversion, full Magnex 4-2-1 manifold and system - which was actually for an Orion, so had to be chopped down in places to get it to fit

Nothing was easy on that car, but it was a labour of love, and I really loved that car!

It's a 3i, was worth it. Am trying to scrape some money to put my mk3 back on the road this year. Very unappreciated vs the rst's these days
Old 28-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

One thing I had planned but we never got round to doing was I had two matching Sony head units - I got the Minidisc one first, and then got a matching CD headunit later for peanuts. The plan was to cut the console up, and fit a custom double din console (we even made the bracket for it, from more 18 gauge steel, but just never got round to doing the mod) that was gonna house both headunits, one under the other. Link both into the system, so either could be used. Add to that, I was gonna wire an aux out from both HU's to a portable Minidisc walkman in the glove box, so that you could even copy from CD/MD to MD in the car

No need at all, but was doable, so was gonna do it. Never did though Got a S1 RST and began to focus attention on that, then got a great offer on the 3i, so was sold to lad who flew over with his dad from Cork!
Old 28-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Cheezy1
BANNED
BANNED

Respect to you mate, im currently restoring my mk3 s1 and its a long painstaking journey but i refuse to pay anyone to do the work. One because its cheaper and two i know ill be happy with the work done. Lovely car mate, bet you was gutted when you sold it .

Plan is a modified concourse s1
Old 28-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Was always a fan of your xr3i back in the good old XROC days
Old 28-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Looks cool that matey.I like where your cd changer is.
Old 29-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Minidisc changer, Glenn

Thanks Fil, Cheezy - I actually still miss that car. I actually had a bit of a pre-mid life crisis and tried to find it again to buy it back at one point
Old 29-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Cheezy1
BANNED
BANNED

Minidisc changer, Glenn

Thanks Fil, Cheezy - I actually still miss that car. I actually had a bit of a pre-mid life crisis and tried to find it again to buy it back at one point
I can imagine, what do you drive now?