General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

sodding bora tdi strikes again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default sodding bora tdi strikes again!!!

in the past few weeks i've replaced the maf, intercooler, cleaned turbo/egr/intake, front springs and strut bearings. all has been brilliant for the last week, i was even planing to detail the thing to treat it properly.
then today the wife calls me in a panic and the clutch pedal is just hitting the deck and not coming back up, no biggy, must be some air or the master cylinder as 18months ago i replaced the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder. so off i go trying to bleed the thing, nope, check out the master cylinder, sounded like air in there, then more bleeding and the air seems to go, but pedal is still the same.
i then look under the car and fluid is pissing out of the bottom of the box, FFS!!! i changed a perfectly fine slave cylinder so i didn't have to worry about it for a long time. so my few days off work is back to pissing about with cars

really not feeling cars right now, even remap on my 330 is going on hold now, absolutely sick of cars breaking

rant over
sean
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
ste_gt
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
in the past few weeks i've replaced the maf, intercooler, cleaned turbo/egr/intake, front springs and strut bearings. all has been brilliant for the last week, i was even planing to detail the thing to treat it properly.
then today the wife calls me in a panic and the clutch pedal is just hitting the deck and not coming back up, no biggy, must be some air or the master cylinder as 18months ago i replaced the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder. so off i go trying to bleed the thing, nope, check out the master cylinder, sounded like air in there, then more bleeding and the air seems to go, but pedal is still the same.
i then look under the car and fluid is pissing out of the bottom of the box, FFS!!! i changed a perfectly fine slave cylinder so i didn't have to worry about it for a long time. so my few days off work is back to pissing about with cars

really not feeling cars right now, even remap on my 330 is going on hold now, absolutely sick of cars breaking

rant over
sean
I feel your pain. I have what must be one of the most common cars on the road in the uk (vectra albeit an estate) and even a thermostat costs about £60 + fitting.

I remember the days when a stat was about £8.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

parts are pretty cheap to be fair on the bora, certainly cheaper than my 330.
it's the fact that it's all running great and then a part fails that i only replaced 18 months ago as i thought it would be the perfect time to do so.
shouldn't take too long though, done it before i guess.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who supplied it matey?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

local motorfactors, i use them all the time.
manufacture was national something or other.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

And people slate fords lol.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

true, at least all the parts i ever replaced on the ford with new never failed for many years.
not even two years old and not exactly the most stressed part on the car either.
it'll be done by lunch tomorrow i reckon.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

My friend over the road from where i lived used to have an 02 focus 1.6 16v for 3 years. It never let him down ever.

He has a 09 vw caddy van ans a Audi A6 tdi. Both vehicles have caused him nowt but bother.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

well it's a good job we have a spare car, otherwise i'd have to let the wife drive my vert, can't have that now can I??!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i try and buy genuine slaves just because of the sheer ball ache to do the job, most of the time the non-genuine parts are fine but there is always one in a batch

recently a friend replaced the cambelt & tensioners on a rover 75 v6 using motor factors kit (think it was Ruville kit), tensioner was knackered within a few hundred miles.....now thats a ball ache of a job
Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

i do try to use oe kit where i can, never thought the slave would go so quickly though.
will try to get a better branded item tomorrow though, it's an absolute shit getting the box off though, but a lot easier than my xr2 with frs box, that's for sure.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Daniel-1986
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if there's a GSF branch near you use them for vw parts, I did for my last to vw's 9/10 much better quality stuff than local motor factors
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Cosworth Lad
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
And people slate fords lol.
glenny tbh mate iv only got 2 fords both bloody ornaments and money pits and my daily youv guessed it vw bora had it coming on 6 years now love it cheap to run service and solid not like new fords as a daily you cant beat a german loloh sorry to hijack thread pal good luck

Last edited by Cosworth Lad; 04-03-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

national?

you get what you deserve then lol

contact the manufacturer, not the dealers, they might send a new one for free as its not that long ago

if its a concentric slave it must be a 6sp one, what a bastard!

if you want one now, contact Euros/GSF and get an LUK or genuine one, it will be no more than £50

if you want any help or a bit discount gimme a PM and i will fire my number over
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

i picked up an LUK one this morning for sub £30, BBC are quite good with discount to be honest.
i think there is more to this story than i first thought, i've got box off and took one of the cups out of the box and no fluid came out. when i got the box in view of the bellhousing one of the bolts holding the slave cylinder had snapped and ragged around the housing putting a hole low down in the box, which explains no fluid coming out
lots of marks and the housing on the slave cylinder was cracked and had a snapped fin.
so that was probably the cause of the failure, luckily i got the rest of the bolt out and sealed up the hole in the bellhousing as it wasn't too big, using oil resistant chemical metal/leak fix.
if the box shits itself i'll just replace it anyhow, damage is done if that is the case anyhow, but didn't crunch or whine, so no reason to suspect it has failed yet.

on the plus side, i have now figured how to get these boxes off in less than an hour and a half though, i reckon i could get it back in about the same time too.
bloody german engineering indeed!!! the bolt is an M7 too, so the local fasteners place didn't have any in, so sent my mate out further afield.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
schonbacher
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

vw's are over rated my uncle has a 06 golf gt tdi with 70k on the clock and just had the diff bearing go so gearbox rebuild , it also failed mot on suspension bushes last year, iv never has a focus fail an mot and its twice as old!

my mate has got to do the bushes on his naighours 55 plate polo cos they are all fucked!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Wondering about the quality of the parts being used in all honesty, are we talking OEM quality or motorfactors patern crap? Having worked on many many cars over the years VAG stuff is generally nothing short of superb, like all marques there will be that lemon out there, you may have been unlucky and found one.

As for VW's being overated I know of a fair few with starship mileage that are still on the original gearbox, turbo and clutch.

Last edited by Oranoco; 05-03-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

the replacement cylinder wasn't the issue really, having found the snapped bolt no wonder the slave wasn't sitting right.
well my mate couldn't get hold of a bolt for me, not even vw had them in any branch within thirty miles.
so i ended up drilling out and tapping an m8 thread instead, had to shave the head down a little, but all is now good, loctited the bolts just to make sure.

all done and works fine, even sounds a little quieter now it has transmission fluid in it.....
the new cylinder is LUK, so at least it is a brand i can trust, unlike the previous one i was dubious about.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:39 PM
stephenbatey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

A good motorfactors will sell oe parts and would prefer to sell you these over the cheaper pattern equivalent. It's the people who want the cheapest possible parts and quote "it's only x amount on eBay" that warrant selling these parts.
I always give a choice so it's up to the punter to be the one who chooses which route to go down.
I've sold national clutches and they aren't the worst by far, there is alot of cheaper dare I say shit out there.
Luk are spot on.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

it depends what i'm after in regards to cost, at the time i'd just bought a SMF clutch kit and they suggested i replace the slave, i wasn't going to bother as it was working fine.
i didn't change my frs box one as there was no point either.
most of the time i want o.e. quality parts as a minimum, not sure why i ended up with the one i did, they did say they were good so took them on that. LUK are quality parts, so i know i can trust it.