General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What do I need to do to get my Cossie ready for the road after 6months being laid up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM
rstubby15
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do I need to do to get my Cossie ready for the road after 6months being laid up?

As I said in a previous post my Cossie comes out of storage in a months time and was wondering what needs to be done to it to get it ready for the road after 6 months laid up other than the usual oil/filter change. Does it need setting up again or is this not necessary?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM
john-saff
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oil and filter and a set of plugs if you liked and just make sure the brakes arent stuck with the lying up oh and make sure there is petrol in it that it hasnt evaporated out of it
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Fresh petrol would be a good idea

It wont need a set up

Steve
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as above check but check that the brake fluid is still ok and still got a high boiling point!

If my car hasn't turned over for a long time I heat the sump with a radiant heater (not more than 1KW) to warm the oil (normally about 20 mins) then crank for a bout 10 to 20 secs with the HT leads and injectors disconnected! then reconnect and off I go with oil all round the engine to start with!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan
as above check but check that the brake fluid is still ok and still got a high boiling point!

If my car hasn't turned over for a long time I heat the sump with a radiant heater (not more than 1KW) to warm the oil (normally about 20 mins) then crank for a bout 10 to 20 secs with the HT leads and injectors disconnected! then reconnect and off I go with oil all round the engine to start with!
honestly why on earth would you do that you are honestly doing more harm than good, just start it up and get the oil pressure up asap its silly just cranking away on a starter ime.
the engine needs to be running at idle to properly pick the oil up.

this is no word of a lie i have put a ford diesel engine in an old hymac digger, it sat in a shed for 30 years, i changed the oil and filters done the conversion and fitteds it in the chassis bled up the fuel and started it up that was 6 years ago and its still going strong.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why to people load an oil filter after a service with oil then? Also the lubrication properties of oil are much better when it is at operating temp! flow rates are better, it therefore gets round the engine a lot faster vastly reducing start up wear. This is one of the reasons why some racing car engines are heated prior to starting, why BMW fit a pre heater to some of there engines to shorten warm up times. Yes modern engines are built to cope with a cold start, but it is nicer to the engine to give it warm oil from "the moment you turn the key" (remember the castrol add) ok they didn't heat the oil because that is a lot of effort, but it does make the oil flow even faster!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

A welding plant
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Just charge the battery, six months is nothing.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

And good clean and a steady drive to the petrol station lol 6 months is not long at all!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan
why to people load an oil filter after a service with oil then? Also the lubrication properties of oil are much better when it is at operating temp! flow rates are better, it therefore gets round the engine a lot faster vastly reducing start up wear. This is one of the reasons why some racing car engines are heated prior to starting, why BMW fit a pre heater to some of there engines to shorten warm up times. Yes modern engines are built to cope with a cold start, but it is nicer to the engine to give it warm oil from "the moment you turn the key" (remember the castrol add) ok they didn't heat the oil because that is a lot of effort, but it does make the oil flow even faster!

i havnt mentioned you heating the oil it wont hurt anything so i didnt mention it, all i have refered to if you read my post again is cranking the engine thinking you are building up good oil pressure isnt effective ime, just start it up.

i build engines, turbos etc for a living, ive been there and done that in the early days cranking away trying to build oil pressure all your doing is spining over the bottom end too slow to build decent oil pressure, just start it up and it will pick the oil straight up and around the engine.
that is what i do anyways after fresh built engine first start up just start it up with the least ammount of cranking possible.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

6 months nothing. I'd crank it over to make oil pressure first and that's it.