General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

anyone had a car catch fire??? advice

Search this Thread

Old 16-02-2013, 06:28 PM
rsturbolee
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default anyone had a car catch fire??? advice

not my rs

couple hours ago was driving along the car coughed a bit something not right opened bonnet and the fucker was alight!!! some people stopped one called 999 the other helped and eventually the fire went out but looks like a bit of damage, got it recovered home the recovery guy took of the battery cables incase it goes up again.

under the front of engine all the loom is burnt loads smoke damage and plastic bits etc been damaged

haven't called insurance yet as they are not open till tomorrow whats likely to happen ? do they fix burnt cars? I think all the undertray at front and bumper got quite melted as it was all dripping flames.

its a 04 saab 93 convertible, my wife is gutted she love the old thing, I bet they wont even give us a hire car as I seem to recall I have to pay extra for a guaranteed hire car or similar

do they write off fire damage cars? from the outside it looks fine apart from black smoke marks, under bonnet is a different story tho lol, its the loom and ecu that's sat there it looks expensive to fix to me
Old 16-02-2013, 06:30 PM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on repair costs but it sounds like a right off.
Old 16-02-2013, 06:34 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

bud was this on them M2 in kent?
Old 16-02-2013, 06:53 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

I had a fiat go up, engine bay was burnt out, obviously, it was written off, especially, as, between me leaving it (my wife had to go to hospital for smoke inhalation) and it being recovered, some fucker tried to set fire to the back seat!
If yours don't look too bad, might be better to fix it yourself, the insurance might write it off just because it caught fire and might do again? Hope everything works out ok though!!
Old 16-02-2013, 06:57 PM
rsturbolee

to be honest we don't want it, im a typical bloke caugh burp fart not frightened of much but I shat myself when she wooshed up in flames on me lol, just had another look and the headlights etc are melted. I cant believe the fire service didn't persist to come out once the women said its fine the fires out they hung the phone up!! it could of easily caught again
Old 16-02-2013, 07:10 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i had my 3 door go up in flames through an engine fire, apparently one of the injectors got stuck open and pissed neat fuel until it was dripping out of the exhaust

i had the bonnet open at the time as i was looking for what was wrong as it hadn't started right and it went up in front of my eyes

luckily for me i was able to grab the hose and put it out before too much flames were going on as someone else turned the ignition off, but it was still fucked beyond economical repair as it fried the loom all the way into the dash as well

so sad just standing there watching it happening
Old 16-02-2013, 07:16 PM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

fire brigade came to my 4i when thieves set it alight outside my house. i had put it out with my second idea of stamping it out. they asked me if i wanted them to put water on it? i said no and they dissapeared quick sharp leaving me and two very unfit coppers to push it round into my yard.
Old 16-02-2013, 07:40 PM
turbocat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first RS turbo caught fire when I was on the ring road one night showing my mate how well it goes. It melted the ht leads to the turbo I managed to stop as soon as we sore the smoke coming out the bonnet vent and put the flames out I was very lucky as it only needed new leads and a dizzy cap
Old 16-02-2013, 07:47 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

I managed to set my twin turbo xr4x4 on fire about 13 years ago. I was moving the fuel filter to a different position on the inner wing, as i was told that its proximity to the battery might end up causing a fire, but as i moved the filter it shorted out on the battery terminal and the fooker went up in no time! Luckily a neighbour ran out with an extinguisher and put it out, but it had toasted the loom and underbonnet area beyond repair in under a minute! Ended up scrapping the car after i took the engine out, had only paid Ł1100 for a respray 2 months earlier as well!
Also please be aware that the melted plastics will be toxic, so dont go touching anything. Its not a rare car, there will be plenty for sale when you get paid out.
Old 16-02-2013, 09:46 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

They will write it off for sure. A full new loom, front end, plus repair of whatever it was that caused the fire in the first place. Was the car modified at all? I've seen a starter motor catch fire before after it stuck on and overheated. Quite why the dumb fucking owner didn't turn the engine off after it was 'screeching for 10 minutes while I was driving' is beyond me lol.

My friend's mini also caught fire once. We were young at the time, he had a massive stereo in it, loads of dodgy wiring here and there that he had bodged in. We were parked up chatting away and the thing just started smoking He managed to rip out the burning wiring and toss it out the window
Old 16-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Yep, due to changing a starter motor in dark and routing the power cable against the exhaust manifold!

Fortunately , I've always carried fire extinguishers in my cars, so saved,

New cable correctly routed, all good again
Old 16-02-2013, 09:59 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

As above. Fire will cost huge ŁŁŁ damage even if it doesnt look that bad.

And advice....carry a fire extinguisher
Old 16-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Cozziekid

I had an old 309GTi went up in flames when i was on the M62 near Heartshead Moor Services, was just spluttering at first so i pulled in the services, as you do. Next thing i know theres smoke and flames licking up between the bonnet and wing so i dump the french pile away from other cars etc in the car park and abandon ship

It was something to do with an electrical short according to the engineers report for the insurance, but needless to say it was promptly written off and i bought a Ford instead.

Very easy to write a vehicle off these days, so i would say thats what they'll do unfortunately.
Old 16-02-2013, 10:43 PM
rsturbolee

my mate called me a bit ago and said his mate didn't get paid out on one due to it being electric short and melted the loom and burnt the surroundings but insurance refused, I fucking hope that's not the case
Old 16-02-2013, 11:28 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

if it was mine i'd replace the engine loom with a used one (i know) from a same year and model, might be able to get most of the plastic bits as well, most write-off's get hit so you have a good change of getting what you need, try findapart, breakerlink or spares247, free to use search engines, price will include vat and p&p

of course the ecu will probably have to be matched to the car, dont know if you can get this done anywhere, but a saab or vauxhall dealer can do it at a price, maybe one of the nice chaps on here can help

Last edited by tommytwotanks; 16-02-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 17-02-2013, 07:04 AM
cabriolet
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wanna see a bad one search for lee ivatts rs1600i rebuild spent months restoring it to see it go up in flames first time he turned the key
Old 17-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Lees was defo fooked.He is a clever lad.Shame he doesnt come on here now.
Old 17-02-2013, 05:48 PM
rhinopower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Lees was defo fooked.He is a clever lad.Shame he doesnt come on here now.
Used to love reading his build threads, the land rover he did was superb
Old 17-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Danwood79
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbocat
My first RS turbo caught fire when I was on the ring road one night showing my mate how well it goes. It melted the ht leads to the turbo I managed to stop as soon as we sore the smoke coming out the bonnet vent and put the flames out I was very lucky as it only needed new leads and a dizzy cap
Same thing happened to mine but lucky I had a fire exquisher in the car.
Shitting it when smoke was coming out the bonnet vents
Old 18-02-2013, 04:55 PM
rsturbolee

Well insurance got a Seward body centre locally to repair it, they didn't even pic it up asked me for a couple pics they said there not repairing it national salvage are gonna collect it, I presume it next has to be valued by an assessor and let the pain in the arse bit continue lol
Old 18-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes

Believe it or not my next one went on fire also but luckily I had an extinguisher.