General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Moped rider Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 17-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Moped rider Rant!

I have a car license but have to ride my moped around because I cant afford to run a car.

Sorry, but does the highway code not apply when overtaking mopeds? It seems cars can cut across the front of you, leaving inches between their arse and my front wheel. The can also:

- Overtake on a bend.

- Squeeze past between me and a traffic island.

- Sit right behind my rear wheel, pretty much touching. Do these arsehole realise I'm not doing 30mph for the sake of it

- overtake on double white lines or, better yet, rather than wait for a same and legal chance to overtake just try and squeeze past me. Heaven forbid you should be a few seconds later getting where you need to be go right ahead, force me off the road

- Fianlly, in the case of some braindead, mongy inbred little tosser in a red Citroen Berlingo van, come barreling up behind me, pass me with literally cm's to spare while sitting on your horn. Seriously, I hope this tosser crashed and died on his way, seeing as the prick obviously didn't care if he killed me. *

Listen, I know full well that I'm only touching 35mph, 40 at the very most, on a national speed limit road. I'm not doing it for fun. I'm not allowed in a cycle lane (If there was one, but that's another rant ) and I'm not allowed on the pavement. I HAVE to be on the road. I've paid my road tax, my fuel duty, the lot. If it was up to me, we'd have a cyclist/moped lane like in the Netherlands. But we dont. Deal with it.

Though on the plus side, Lorry Drivers seem to be considerate when passing by realising how long their vehicle is. Shame they can't tell caravanners this...

Rant over

*Seriously, I hope to god this guy was involved in a fatal crash, nt arming anyone else though.
Old 17-09-2012, 04:58 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Mopeds are fine for town use, however on the open road in national speed limits where they hold up other vehicles for miles on end they should be banned. Same goes for cyclists, and yes I do regularly ride a bike!
Old 17-09-2012, 04:59 PM
3dr cossie
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And people don't ride motor bikes in exactly the same way with regard to car drivers?
Old 17-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Tweaked

This doesn't just happen to people on mopeds, I have seen cars cut off larger bikes also. Do you ride in the centre of the road or to the side near the pavement?
Old 17-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by RichieST
Mopeds are fine for town use, however on the open road in national speed limits where they hold up other vehicles for miles on end they should be banned. Same goes for cyclists, and yes I do regularly ride a bike!
I live in a rural area with terrible public transport links. It's the only way I can get out of my town.

Originally Posted by 3dr cossie
And people don't ride motor bikes in exactly the same way with regard to car drivers?
Wouldn't know mate, never riden a proper bike

Originally Posted by Tweaked
This doesn't just happen to people on mopeds, I have seen cars cut off larger bikes also. Do you ride in the centre of the road or to the side near the pavement?
Center of the road, always.
Old 17-09-2012, 05:08 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Just what I was wondering!
Old 17-09-2012, 05:16 PM
rhinopower
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be fair, with the majority of moped drivers being spotty dickheads, who undertake you sitting at traffic lights and generally have no idea what the highway code is, its no surprise why car drivers have no care towards them. I almost squashed one the other day in a lorry, would of been totally his fault too...
Old 17-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by rhinopower
To be fair, with the majority of moped drivers being spotty dickheads, who undertake you sitting at traffic lights and generally have no idea what the highway code is, its no surprise why car drivers have no care towards them. I almost squashed one the other day in a lorry, would of been totally his fault too...
Just because a MINORITY of moped riders are idiots, doesn't mean we all are and doesnt mean we are fair game to be treated like that. As I said, if he'd hit me, it would hurt me more than him. At worst, he'll dent his bumper. At worst, I get sent miles down the road and ran over several times...
Old 17-09-2012, 05:44 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
What a load of bullshit, it's a free country. Ban cyclists because they hold up the mighty car

How about we ban cars at rush hour and in cities for holding up my bike and polluting the air I breathe? Thought not

Idiot

Are you communist?
Old 17-09-2012, 06:05 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I ride a motor bike mate and you do tend to get alot of arse holes on the road don't really get overtaken though as its a 1000cc but people don't tend to care that much that your on a bike though don't check there mirrors or fook all. That said I am a mobile service engineer and drive a van every day and there are just as many ass holes out there when am in my van.
I think no matter what mode of transport you use there are always dick heads using other forms of transport that just don't care
Old 17-09-2012, 06:45 PM
bigkevin
Regular Contributor

i've allways thought its safer to ride a 125cc than a 50cc, with the extra power you can accelerate out of danger + do the speed of the road, bin the moped. think bike
Old 17-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by bigkevin
i've allways thought its safer to ride a 125cc than a 50cc, with the extra power you can accelerate out of danger + do the speed of the road, bin the moped. think bike
I see what you mean mate, but why should I have to change my vehicle just because some halfwits think they are more important.
Old 17-09-2012, 07:19 PM
dave_20
Part of the Furniture

i pulled a moped gobshite of his stupid 50cc heap of shit after he twated my mirror off trying to get down the side of me in traffic.
am sorry but i just dont see the point in a 50cc bike?? better off riding a normal bike
Old 17-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by dave_20
i pulled a moped gobshite of his stupid 50cc heap of shit after he twated my mirror off trying to get down the side of me in traffic.
am sorry but i just dont see the point in a 50cc bike?? better off riding a normal bike
Same reason you drive a car, better than walking.

Sorry but if you're prepared to pay my car insurance and fuel for me, I'll gladly sell up my 'ped. If not then let me get on with riding what I can afford.
Old 17-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
What a load of bullshit, it's a free country. Ban cyclists because they hold up the mighty car

How about we ban cars at rush hour and in cities for holding up my bike and polluting the air I breathe? Thought not

Idiot

Are you communist?
Reckon cyclists should have insurance and road tax then they could have an opinion
Old 17-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

are 125's really that much more expensive??

Sure people shouldnt cut you up etc but your vehicle is innapropriate for what seems to be a fast road.
Old 17-09-2012, 08:13 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Matt Baxter
Reckon cyclists should have insurance and road tax then they could have an opinion
Reckon I pay council tax which contributes to upkeep of roads bridges and pavements

Also its a free country and not a communist state

Also I never realised car drivers were classified as more important

So basically jog on

actually its easier to prove council tax is spent on the roads as its part of the council budget and paid to them, they detail their expenditure
vehicle excise duty ( note its not called road tax as its for vehicles ) is paid to the exchequer and just goes in the pot along with income tax and all other income streams and may not be spent on the roads at all

so

Last edited by It's Czech Mate; 17-09-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 17-09-2012, 08:15 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren

Sure people shouldnt cut you up etc but your vehicle is innapropriate for what seems to be a fast road.
Dont hate the player hate the game

If 50cc mopeds are inappropriate for those roads then there should be legislation to reflect it

There isnt so it cant be the case
Old 17-09-2012, 08:16 PM
naturally aspirated

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its any consolation Daryl, I always give loads of room to anything on the road more vulnerable than myself. I am also a cyclist as well as a motorist, so I know how scary it can be with an inconsiderate car driver threatening you with a ton of metal. I sat an advanced driving test a few years ago, and was taught to always try to give two wheels as much room as a car if I am overtaking. I wouldn't want an accident or death on my conscience...........
Old 17-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

having ridden a 50cc for about 2 years when i was 16, and then a propper bike a few years back i can honestly say that yes most other road uses are useless cunts, but 99% of people that ride scoootays are TOTAL cunts!

on saturday i was following some scootay mother fucker out where i live. its a 60 limit and he was doing nearly 40mph, but it was quite windy so i had no choice but to sit behind him. now i wasnt on his arse or anything, but the rossi wannabe was getting his heel out at every corner and then tucking his feet up onto the rear foot rests and adpoting the aero position on the straights. i was already thinking he was a complete cock when we got into the village i live in, which is a 30 limit

of course he was still flat out ging through there, when i was quite tempted to over take the cunt, slow down a bit so he would go back past me, then open the fucking door! that would have learned the twat
Old 17-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reckon I pay council tax which contributes to upkeep of roads bridges and pavements

Also its a free country and not a communist state

Also I never realised car drivers were classified as more important

So basically jog on

actually its easier to prove council tax is spent on the roads as its part of the council budget and paid to them, they detail their expenditure
vehicle excise duty ( note its not called road tax as its for vehicles ) is paid to the exchequer and just goes in the pot along with income tax and all other income streams and may not be spent on the roads at all

so
lol yeah yeah I also pay my taxes, but still have to pay for road fund licence to use the roads
still think cyclists should have insurance imo if you want to use the roads and abide by the rules of the road, ie stop at traffic lights keep off the foot paths...... you get the idea
Old 17-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Dont hate the player hate the game

If 50cc mopeds are inappropriate for those roads then there should be legislation to reflect it

There isnt so it cant be the case
i imagine it wont take many more deaths to cause more restrictions.

slow vehicles are already banned from motorways for just such reasons and in some areas local restrictions ban cyclists from sections of dual carriageways and country lanes on safety grounds.

It isnt technically illegal to drive a mobility carriage down most dual carriageways and national speed limit areas but it is common place for the police to take old biddys off the road when they do so on safety grounds.

Although i dont think 30mph mopeds are lethal on 60mph roads, there is undeniably significantly increased risk, even if people were driving sensibly all the time.

Just look at how hard it is to cycle in a big city these days. You try and cycle in accordance with the highway code or try and expect other motorists to follow it and you WILL be knocked off and hurt. FACT. You have to ride very defensively in towns to survive these days and also ride like a cunt to make due progress. I learnt that the hard way cycling in london where id say 99.9% of traffic doesnt give way to cyclists when it should

Not saying its right, but thats just the way it is and IMO it would be sensible for him to reduce the risk by either changing his route or upgrading to a 125 to keep with the flow of traffic.
Old 17-09-2012, 09:39 PM
durham fiesta
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i ride a 125 on my commute to work (just under 40 mles a day ) and can honestly say ive never had any major problems with cars apart from some old woman overtaking me in a 40 zone while i was doing 40, and nearly wiping me out as she never noticed the traffic island coming up. 50cc is ok for around the towns but i would definately think about getting a 125 if you regularly use national speed limit roads
Old 17-09-2012, 09:44 PM
It's Czech Mate

i imagine.
And there-in lies the problem

Old 17-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Fudgey
having ridden a 50cc for about 2 years when i was 16, and then a propper bike a few years back i can honestly say that yes most other road uses are useless cunts, but 99% of people that ride scoootays are TOTAL cunts!
id agree

id say most cyclists round my way are cunts too.

Although that is a local phenomenon as the further south i go, the more sane cyclists are and they take more care to look after themselves.

Round here in stoke, i think ive seen in 5 years 2 cyclists with lights on at night. The only cyclists ive seen wearing helmets were involved in the tour series cycle race

Dont know if its a "poor people" problem that people round here dont use lights or take basic safety precautions on a bike but the standards are shocking and often bordering on suicidal.

The irony is the council under some safety scheme gives out free lights to cyclists so there is NO excuse for someone not to have them.

loads of times ive gone down a unlit road and come close to mowing down some cunt cyclist with no lights, no reflectors and often on the wrong side of the road.

no lights is bad enough but why do these cunt cyclists insist on removing thier reflectors?? are they completely fucking stupid?? At least with reflectors and even on dipped beam i'll still spot them plenty of time to avoid them.

I do think cyclists need to be held accountable more. eg cyclists on pavements need to be aggressively policed etc. cyclists going through red lights etc, no lights, the lot.
Old 17-09-2012, 09:47 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Matt Baxter
lol yeah yeah I also pay my taxes, but still have to pay for road fund licence to use the roads
still think cyclists should have insurance imo if you want to use the roads and abide by the rules of the road, ie stop at traffic lights keep off the foot paths...... you get the idea

I know, am just playing devils advocate, I have insurance for my bikes, purely in case I hit a pedestrian, they have more chance of dying if hit by a bike than a car!

Trouble is so many cyclists are idiots, like's been said above, idiots aren't screened before buying any type of vehicle unfortunately
Old 17-09-2012, 09:48 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Not saying this is you, but as it only happenend to me a few times today, I'll mention it.

I don't like the moped squeezing up the inside (or even outside) when I'm stopped, then making it difficult for me to go around when he runs out of puff (at less than speed limit.) Then doing the same thing at the next set of lights.

The same set of lights I would have sailed through had I not needed to wait for somewhere to go past him...
Old 17-09-2012, 09:57 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

i have a 50 moped aswell, its great, like today i just brimmed it up ...hehe 4 quid....oh yeah..gauge in the car hardly moves with a tenner or more...
Old 17-09-2012, 10:08 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

As above I had a moped go down outside of traffic pull in front of me at lights then when they changed struggled to get to 25mph let alone 30, sat right in middle of road and held up all traffic. Not what I would class as good riding at all. So I can understand people like this getting overtook in not ideal conditions. At the end of the day we all are allowed to use the roads and a bit of courtesy from both sides doesn't go amiss.
Old 18-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Had a lad on a moped shove his way in front of me bashing my mirror on his way through then sat there reving his stupid leaf blower. The lights went green and he took off as fast as he could. By half way across the junction I had overtaken him. Little fucker looked so hurt when I demanded his details for hitting my car.

99.9% of moped riders are cunts that put themselves in stupid situations and deserve all they get.

Not saying you're a cunt, you might well be that 0.01%
Old 18-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

FYI mine was a yamaha dt50 trials bike that had gears etc, so a bit more street cred than the scootay cunts.

anyway i also cycle a fair bit, well i did before i broke my ankle in feb falling off the thing and i ALWAYS wear a helmet, saved my ass twice in one commute at the beginning of feb when there was black ice and i came off twice, the second time landing flat on the back of my head and cracking the helmet.

so bought a new Ł120 met kaos, and first time out i came off on a 90 degree corner at about 40mph after somehow not seeing the big right hander at the bottom of a very steep hill

lid survived with a bit of gravel rash, but i didnt come off so well....

i always use lights too as my 10mile commute has about 3 miles on a main 60mph road that everyone cunts it down, and then the other 7 miles are 60mph roads that see a lot less traffic.
Old 18-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Just want to point out, I do not squeeze past cars at lights, I do not jump the que's etc. I ride how I was taught on my CBT and how the highway code says to I.E in the middle of the lane. If I dont ride in the centre, cars will carry straight on, ot even move, expect ME to move (happened twice 5 minutes into my cbt, learned my lesson)

They're more to buy and insure because I'd have to put L plates on them. Not massively more, but I earn less than Ł100 a week so it does make a difference.

It's a single lane national speed limit road going from a small town into Lincoln.

id agree

id say most cyclists round my way are cunts too.

Although that is a local phenomenon as the further south i go, the more sane cyclists are and they take more care to look after themselves.

Round here in stoke, i think ive seen in 5 years 2 cyclists with lights on at night. The only cyclists ive seen wearing helmets were involved in the tour series cycle race

Dont know if its a "poor people" problem that people round here dont use lights or take basic safety precautions on a bike but the standards are shocking and often bordering on suicidal.

The irony is the council under some safety scheme gives out free lights to cyclists so there is NO excuse for someone not to have them.

loads of times ive gone down a unlit road and come close to mowing down some cunt cyclist with no lights, no reflectors and often on the wrong side of the road.

no lights is bad enough but why do these cunt cyclists insist on removing thier reflectors?? are they completely fucking stupid?? At least with reflectors and even on dipped beam i'll still spot them plenty of time to avoid them.

I do think cyclists need to be held accountable more. eg cyclists on pavements need to be aggressively policed etc. cyclists going through red lights etc, no lights, the lot.
Definately. I hate peple who do this. Around here it's usually old people who demand that you move. He can ring that bell all he likes, I'm not moving.

Alot of cyclists are arseholes, though still a small number compared to the number of cyclists on the road.

Originally Posted by Oranoco
99.9% of moped riders are cunts that put themselves in stupid situations and deserve all they get.

Not saying you're a cunt, you might well be that 0.01%
No that's not why I'm a cunt

Still, how does going in a straight line on a single carriageway road as fast as it can go putting myself in a stupid situation?

I agree that moped shouldn't be on roads like that, same as cyclists. But where else can I go? There should be a cyclist/moped lane that's set apart from roads (rather than just painting a line on the road, giving you less than a foot to ride in, because there's never any wind...). Less traffic, safer for cyclists/riders and we wont get in the way of the car drivers. Only downside is tht it costs money, so definately won't happen.

Last edited by Darylc.; 18-09-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 18-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Pete frst

No offence mate but peds are dangerous,they just cant get you out of trouble,your holding everybody up ppl get fucked off so take stupid chances to get past,they make sense in town where the traffic flows more evenly but outside town total nightmare and i come from an era when peds were reasonably quick and as for cyclist oh dear,im all for a bit of exercise and saving money but round here they get on my bleeding nerves too,riding side by side in their factory colours chatting away with all the time in the world,holding everybody up fs,they should all pay road tax say Ł10.00 a year id feel a lot better
Old 18-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by Pete frst
No offence mate but peds are dangerous,they just cant get you out of trouble,your holding everybody up ppl get fucked off so take stupid chances to get past,they make sense in town where the traffic flows more evenly but outside town total nightmare and i come from an era when peds were reasonably quick and as for cyclist oh dear,im all for a bit of exercise and saving money but round here they get on my bleeding nerves too,riding side by side in their factory colours chatting away with all the time in the world,holding everybody up fs,they should all pay road tax say Ł10.00 a year id feel a lot better
If the council made proper cycle lanes, not just a thin line painted on the road side, the I'd be all for a Ł10 road tax for them.

Fair enough on holding people up but that's their problem to be honest. I've paid my road tax, I've paid my fuel duty, I've bought my insurance and I'm not breaking the law. Doesn't matter how angry they get, they are in the wrong. There are plenty of safe over-taking opportunities on the road, they dont have to be reckless. Being frustrated with slow moving vehicles doesn't mean the highway code and the law no longer applies.

I live in the countryside mate, the public transport is terrible. If I dont ride my 'ped on a main road, I'm stuck in a small town with nothing. As I said earlier, if I could afford a car, I'd get one. But I can't.
Old 18-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Pete frst

Originally Posted by Darylc.
If the council made proper cycle lanes, not just a thin line painted on the road side, the I'd be all for a Ł10 road tax for them.

Fair enough on holding people up but that's their problem to be honest. I've paid my road tax, I've paid my fuel duty, I've bought my insurance and I'm not breaking the law. Doesn't matter how angry they get, they are in the wrong. There are plenty of safe over-taking opportunities on the road, they dont have to be reckless. Being frustrated with slow moving vehicles doesn't mean the highway code and the law no longer applies.

I live in the countryside mate, the public transport is terrible. If I dont ride my 'ped on a main road, I'm stuck in a small town with nothing. As I said earlier, if I could afford a car, I'd get one. But I can't.
I know its tough mate and living in the countryside with big 4x4's pushing you up the narrow roads cant be much fun either.....
Old 18-09-2012, 12:13 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Pete frst
cyclist oh dear,im all for a bit of exercise and saving money but round here they get on my bleeding nerves too,riding side by side in their factory colours chatting away with all the time in the world,holding everybody up fs,they should all pay road tax say Ł10.00 a year id feel a lot better
Lol

Agree cyclists shouldnt be 2 abreast

I dont think anybody understands 'road tax' properly

'Road Tax' is vehicle excise duty which applies to motorised vehicles and goes to the exchequer, no proof of where it is spent

Council tax which all cyclists will pay actually contributes to the upkeep of the roads and road system ( councils will detail the spend ) so why the fuck should I pay for that and not be able to use it because you cant wait and consider yourself more important?

Do you walk into a shop ignore the queue and go straight to the front?

Self important cunts boil my piss thinking their journey is more important than anybody elses

Old 18-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Facts of the matter are this;

Horses and cyclists have a right to use the roads (as do pedestrians)
Motorvehicles, inclusing mopeds and motobikes, need a license to use the roads

However, I am of the opinion that if you choose to use the road, as a cyclist or a horse rider, you should have insurance. I don't see why I should have to pay or claim on my insurance if a cyclist hits me or a horse hits me.

Back on topic - the highway code has no bearing in this. And I doubt VERY much the OP will claim he does everything BY THE BOOK as per the highway code. No one does. So just because it says what it says, doesn't mean that's what people will do.

Mopeds have nothing to do with it either. The bottom line is everyone on the road is a cunt. Simple. Moped riders are cunts. Motorbike riders are cunts. Car, van, lorry drivers - all cunts. The only difference is the degree of cuntishness, and that's down to the individual, not the type of vehicle.

A van driver is just as likely to cut up a moped, just as much as a motorbike rider is likely to cut up a car.

So stop fucking moaning, and get on with your life. The fact you cannot anticipate, and thus avoid, situations like described makes you a bad, and dangerous, road user. Man up, and do whatever is in YOUR power to make it a safe environment to use the road - for everyone. You cannot change how other people drive, but you can change how you do.

/thread
Old 18-09-2012, 12:29 PM
rhinopower

Lol

Agree cyclists shouldnt be 2 abreast

I dont think anybody understands 'road tax' properly

'Road Tax' is vehicle excise duty which applies to motorised vehicles and goes to the exchequer, no proof of where it is spent

Council tax which all cyclists will pay actually contributes to the upkeep of the roads and road system ( councils will detail the spend ) so why the fuck should I pay for that and not be able to use it because you cant wait and consider yourself more important?

Do you walk into a shop ignore the queue and go straight to the front?

Self important cunts boil my piss thinking their journey is more important than anybody elses

All of my journeys are more important than yours. Walking to the front of the queue is a good idea too!
Old 18-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_20
If someone "twated" your mirror fair enough, but they can do it on a "normal bike" too... also the advantage of a moped over a normal bike is..... it doesn't get tired like my legs do! It keeps up 25 to 30 mph effortlessly!
Old 18-09-2012, 03:38 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Darylc.

Center of the road, always.
Have you tried keeping left a bit more? You might find people can pass you easier and not in the dangerous positions you describe.

Quick Reply: Moped rider Rant!