General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: Learners on motorways - good or bad?
Good to have the option while learning
11.11%
Shouldn't be allowed on motorways till they have passed
4.94%
Motorway training should be compulsory before the test
51.85%
Should pass a separate test to allow motorway use
32.10%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Learner drivers to be allowed on motorways from 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Learner drivers to be allowed on motorways from 2012

Just received a press release from the IAM:

Road safety minister Mike Penning announced that learner drivers are to be allowed to have driving lessons on motorways in an attempt to cut the death toll among novice motorists, at the IAM’s (Institute of Advanced Motorists) annual lunch yesterday. This change will come into force from next year.
IAM chief executive Simon Best said: “This change will mean that properly supervised young drivers can learn how to drive on a motorway with somebody beside them. Motorways are, after all, our safest roads.
“As part of the changes to the test, we would also like to see more training for learners on rural roads – our most dangerous roads.”

Can he make such a change, just like that, or does this have to go through Parliament? Apart from anything else, the Highway Code will need updated.

So, good idea or bad idea?

And what if they then decide to make motorway tuition compulsory but there are no motorways anywhere near you? In Scotland, for instance, we have no motorway north of Perth, or in the south-east below Edinburgh.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

How stupid is that - take them up to 70mph when they have no experience of driving with others doing 70 plus around them.

Recipe for disaster.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr S1
How stupid is that - take them up to 70mph when they have no experience of driving with others doing 70 plus around them.

Recipe for disaster.
They can do 70 on a dual-carriageway, where they have to contend with traffic joining and leaving on both sides, and even crossing the road in front of them.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM
LewisT
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

motorways are the most simple to use roads recon its a good idea
Old 08-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

I accept that, but what driving instructor in their right mind would take a learner driver at 70mph ? Mine never did, I did 40 max and that's still enough to cause carnage. I first got behind the wheel of a car at what used to be the Harrow Driving school, oddly enough in Harrow. It was a purpose built private driving track, but set out like a real road with junctions etc designed for learner drivers. It closed many years ago now, and has flats on it today. That was where I learnt car control, not on a public road with 'real' cars. I said then and I maintain now - they should be mandatory for EVERY new driver who has to pass a competency test in an environment like that before they can go out on the roads.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Korda
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

give me something to over take in my artic
Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Tho it's got to be better with someone experienced at 70mph as a learner, than someone who's passed there test doing no more than 30mph, then on there own to do 70mph.

I can remember passing my test, then the next day going to see my parents, straight on the m25 then a12 flat out all the way at 85mph
Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 PM
xr2imetalhead
Part of the Furniture

i think all learners should be made to receive motorway training. i know people who have been driving for years and are too afraid to use the motorway. and i know when they eventually do use the motorway they are likely to cause an accident be it from severe hesitation or sheer inability to drive properly.

cheers
lee
Old 08-12-2011, 12:42 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

they should spend some time on the motorways as a learner
Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 PM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Great idea. Better that they're taught by a professional. I go on few motorway trips, but I guarantee I'll see more dangerous driving by incompetent cunts than any learner will manage.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone should have to do a 'pass plus' type thing after they pass their normal test, and only after this is completed, should they be allowed on motorways. TBH though, the worst drivers I see on the motorway are normally old people!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree,

BUT only when supervised by an approved driving Instructor and only in a car with dual controls.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by focusv8
I agree,

BUT only when supervised by an approved driving Instructor and only in a car with dual controls.

+ 1 Dont think it should be any other way. Imagine a bad driver as a mum or dad trying to teach them.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
howie1989

I think they should be supervised on motorways with dual controls with a instructor.If the motorway is within a certain radius of your test centre. id of liked to had a motorway lesson as i got myself on a motorway unintentionally and it was scary shit when i just passed and i was only in lil mini
Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by oibren85
+ 1 Dont think it should be any other way. Imagine a bad driver as a mum or dad trying to teach them.
Quote from somewhere today, it looks like it will Only be Instructors;

Significantly, he said the Government would finally tackle the issue of learners currently being banned from the motorway, stating: “I will allow Driving Instructors to teach on the motorway before their test.”
Old 08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
wayne thomas
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have another voting option of; compulsory motorway lesson after taking test, along with compulosry lesson in darkness.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 PM
fiend
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I accept that, but what driving instructor in their right mind would take a learner driver at 70mph ? Mine never did, I did 40 max and that's still enough to cause carnage. I first got behind the wheel of a car at what used to be the Harrow Driving school, oddly enough in Harrow. It was a purpose built private driving track, but set out like a real road with junctions etc designed for learner drivers. It closed many years ago now, and has flats on it today. That was where I learnt car control, not on a public road with 'real' cars. I said then and I maintain now - they should be mandatory for EVERY new driver who has to pass a competency test in an environment like that before they can go out on the roads.
So you only did a max of 40mph with a qualified instructor next to you? Then you passed your test and went on a dual carriageway or motorway and done 70mph+ with no instruction or previous experience of those speeds.

You were more of a risk than someone with a qualified instructor next to them. As you, from what you written, had NO experience of doing 40mph+ once passing your test.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Correct. Which is precisely the reason why people should have experience ! And if you read what I said, that wasn't my point. I said before new drivers are allowed in any car at any speed, they should have some training and a test before they are allowed to learn on the road.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Good idea, motorways are all part of the driving experiance. If it's in the Highway code then learner drivers should be experiancing it.
Luckily I had bit dual carriageway experiance, but was still wary first time on a motorway, which are usually busier and more lanes to worry about.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

I'm learning at the moment and this is a stupid idea. They should have a seperate test for motorways. It's bad enough when you're being taught how to drive safely then some knob sit a few inches behind you then overtaking at 70+ mph, pulling a few yards in front of you and then braking down to 30 when they pass (happened to me yesterday, the instructor shat himself ). Look at the standards on the motor ways now and imagine how much worse it would be? Learning to drive surrounded by people who need to re-learn.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DarylC
I'm learning at the moment and this is a stupid idea. They should have a seperate test for motorways. It's bad enough when you're being taught how to drive safely then some knob sit a few inches behind you then overtaking at 70+ mph, pulling a few yards in front of you and then braking down to 30 when they pass (happened to me yesterday, the instructor shat himself ). Look at the standards on the motor ways now and imagine how much worse it would be? Learning to drive surrounded by people who need to re-learn.
You wouldn't be taken on Motorways until you are at current test standard.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
weegaz22
PassionFord Regular

I accept that, but what driving instructor in their right mind would take a learner driver at 70mph ? Mine never did, I did 40 max and that's still enough to cause carnage..
sounds like your instructor didnt trust you, mine had me on everything from dual carrigeways, to the middle of city centre in mental rush hour traffic to battering along country roads at the national limit, going 60 - 70mph wasn't a big deal for me when i passed, i was on the motorway an hour after i passed my test, didn't see it as a big deal

my mate on the other hand didn't go on motorway till i made him one day, he was a bit nervous but got over it once on, he's now used to it and regularly uses it now, he then got done for driving at 90
Old 08-12-2011, 04:22 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

http://www.facebook.com/EddieNestorsDrivetime

facebook users going and answer there
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Danny_h
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Im currently 'Learning' to drive and just passing my theory last thursday, I think Motorway tuition whilst learning is a great idea, On my theory test I had multiple of questions on motorway driving and I havnt had anything told to me about them! Luckily I know more than others so i was okay....And how many people once theyve passed there test, jump straight on the motorway for a 'road-trip' to the nearest seaside resort ot what-av-ya?? Plenty! And with no tuition or experience, its a accident waiting to happen, Ive been on dual carriageways and when you get behind the wheel at 70mph with not doing it before, its abit nerve racking, thats why im doing the pass plus after ive passed, But again, It should be a standard thing to do whilst learning
Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Stupid idea imho. We should operate the same scheme as Australia where new drivers have to display a P plate and they should only once passed be allowed motorway tuition that should be mandatory before using them
Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Good idea in my opinion. A learner has the chance to gain experience of motorway driving under the control and supervision of a trained instructor.

I doubt they would be taken on to them until later on in their lessons, I know I was taken to 60mph by my instructor on an A road to gain the experience.

Got to be better than then passing their test and being left to their own devices?? having never been on one.

I also think people should be given an hour on a skid pan, and also made to fill up with fuel, change a tyre and do a general maintenance top up/check ie fluid and oil levels and tyre pressure.

It should be a place at the test centres where they have 2 lesson, one on car control and the other on maintaining.

The amount of people i know that wouldnt have the first clue how to check fluid levels, or change a wheel and a couple of people that have driven around until their engine blew due to no oil, another had no water and scrapped the lump and another spun out on a island becuase she was driving on a tyre that was virtually flat.

The more experience and knowledge a learner can get the better.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:52 PM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

seems like a good idea, get people trained and tested on it before they are let loose to try it themselves,

it has to be done right though, and should come at the end of the learning process, so although being learners, they should have got some experience of driving on normal roads first.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by focusv8
You wouldn't be taken on Motorways until you are at current test standard.

What I'm saying is that the standard of some of these people on the motorways (like the old bastards who sit at 30 in the middle lane) make it a less than ideal situation to be learning in.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I had to do a pass plus till i went on a motorway...

I think training should be done before they take the test.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 PM
weegaz22
PassionFord Regular

It doesn't matter what we think anyway, whatever the government decides to implement you can be sure it'll be devoid of any common sense and any advice from people in the industry.....much like the bike test they changed a few years ago....was downright dangerous, loads of people ended up breaking legs and all sorts coming off doing a swerve and stop manouver.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Recipe for disaster.
Just as much a recipe for disaster allowing someone to drive t 70mph with no experience of doing so unsupervised after they pass a test as well.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

I personally think you are wrong. I've only had a license for just under 3 years, and I did pass plus after my test. Took me straight out on a motorway, taught me how to join safely (obviously knew from dual carriageways anyway), and overtaking etc. Also got me up to 70 and used all 3 lanes. Not once did I have someone tailgating me, even though I was in a fully stickered up learner car.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
I personally think you are wrong. I've only had a license for just under 3 years, and I did pass plus after my test. Took me straight out on a motorway, taught me how to join safely (obviously knew from dual carriageways anyway), and overtaking etc. Also got me up to 70 and used all 3 lanes. Not once did I have someone tailgating me, even though I was in a fully stickered up learner car.
Your lucky Idiots around here dont seem to realise the big white box covered in "L's" on the roof means "I may be a bit crap at this, gimme a chance here" like that uptight old cow in the rover than sat on her horn when I stalled at the traffic lights (first and only time I've stalled )
Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be fair, how many times do you curse the idiot in front of you on the motorway in the middle lane doing 50mph and acting as a mobile chicane!

Would it not be better to educate drivers early on about lane discipline, how to safely enter and exit motorways etc. etc.

I do question how much bad driving on the motorways is not outright stupidity, but a lack of knowing any better.

But I thoroughly agree that the only tuition on the motorway for learners should be performed by qualified instructors in dual control cars.

I did a pass plus scheme after I passed my test and the instructor must have spent twice the amount of time on it with me than I paid for as he was determined to let me experience 'real conditions'.

One of the 1 hour lessons I paid for took nearly 3 hours as he wanted to go to a specific road with very poor visibility that was about 40 miles away
Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Your lucky Idiots around here dont seem to realise the big white box covered in "L's" on the roof means "I may be a bit crap at this, gimme a chance here" like that uptight old cow in the rover than sat on her horn when I stalled at the traffic lights (first and only time I've stalled )
Not lucky, I had that in 30's yes. My point is I was taught to do 70, which is why I had no one up my arse, as I wasn't sitting at 40mph in the middle lane...
Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
GINGExR2 T
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think all learner drivers after a fixed amount of lessons/hours of driving with a qualified instructor (maybe not there regular instructor) should by law have to have a few hours motorway instructed training.

Motorways are busy places and can be a very scary place for a not very confident new (or old) driver.

IMHO anything that can educate younger or new drivers can only be a good thing, I hate my missus and kids going down the motorway, not because i worry about her driving, it's the stories you hear about families etc getting killed through no fault of there own.

Ginger

Old 10-12-2011, 10:43 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Good idea i think, as long as it's with an instructer and not just anyone teaching them. I know a good few people who have passed their test and shit themselves when they've had to use a motorway so it would be a good idea for them to learn properly to give them some confidence.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a double lesson on the motorway after i passed my test
Old 10-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Hobomassiv

Just make Pass Plus mandatory, it covers a lot the normal driving test doesnt like motorways.

Im lucky enough to have learnt around the A2, so every lesson would join and go straight up to 70mph , four lanes. I even went on it on my first driving test.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:51 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by Hobomassiv
Just make Pass Plus mandatory, it covers a lot the normal driving test doesnt like motorways.

Im lucky enough to have learnt around the A2, so every lesson would join and go straight up to 70mph , four lanes. I even went on it on my first driving test.
I drive down the A2 everyday, I hate it.