General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

3 dr cosworth buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 24-02-2011, 09:03 PM
droptopRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 dr cosworth buying advice

Just really need sme help from you guys,looking at buying a 3 door soon need any advice on what to look out for prone rust spots,where to find info on making sure it aint a reshell.
I just don't wanna spend my cash on a wrongun his will be my first cossie,any help would be great i ain't rushing into buying it i have about 10 k but wanna get something i can keep for years to come..................
Old 25-02-2011, 10:18 AM
droptopRST

Anyone?
Old 25-02-2011, 10:33 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Take your time and give it a really good look over take some one who knows what there looking at really. Have a good look at the under side rear chassis legs along the sill line hpi it take a look at the vin plate and chassis number stamped in the floor make shore it all looks ok! give it a good drive make shore all the gears are ok going up and down the box when the oil is warm. Make shore it pulls well and dont smoke if its been modded make shore its been done by someone who knows what ther doing and maybe ring them ask them about the car. Look at the boot floor aswell see if it all looks straight and not repaired just commen sense really and check for normal shit like keeping its temp well oil leaks the cooling system is not pressurising im shore others will add to this when they see it!
Old 25-02-2011, 11:10 AM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 428 Likes on 403 Posts

my advice is to buy one from the rs scene as they will usually be looked after pretty well and its history well known
Old 25-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Chasis legs and sills, if you can take the 2 screws out of the rear seat and lift it up, there's a plastic cap you can pop out with your fingers and see inside of the chasis leg to see if they've been welded up prior.

Inner wings and front suspension turret's.

Everything else is the same as any other car mate, check panels for Ford stamps and check Vin plate and floor numbers, either side of the floor the number should start and finish with a star.

The last 2 letters and numbers are the engine number.

Engine number is stamped on the passenger side of the engine block just in front of the engine mount 'arm'

Me personally I would go for original bodywork and panels as gearboxes, engine, drive train etc. can all be replaced.......
Old 25-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Hampy
Virgin

I had independent inspection done for about Ł250 when i eventually found one that was right for me. Took about 6 months to find what I was looking for. Did a lot of homework and looked at a fair few. Are you after a standard one?
Old 25-02-2011, 04:49 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My only advice is this - Ł10k is not big money and is really a dodgy area so be careful as some arnt as good as what the owners think but once you get stuck in to them you will find issues and parts your not happy with and the receipts would soon mount up

Checking for a reshell - one tip is check the rear towing eye, commonly reshelled were later shells and had the same rear eye as a sapphire so sit's lower than an original 3dr

E.g

Early

Late shell
Old 25-02-2011, 08:48 PM
droptopRST

Cheers guys i'm not sure yet i'm just going see what cars are on the market either way i just want a realy good shell and chassis to work with.....
I'm doin just that bro research i work in the car trade and buy a fair few motors just making sure i don't miss a trick you know,i hear alot about reshells and want to make sure i get a nice deal,this will be somthing ill be keeping hold off till i'm old lol,and maintain regardless.

Last edited by droptopRST; 25-02-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 25-02-2011, 11:53 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Join the rsoc forum if so aren't already and send Colin Newbery a pm to bring to his attention what your requirements are he is the 3dr registrar for the RSOC and is most likely to know about the good cars before they even go on the market
Old 26-02-2011, 07:45 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

My god I forgot how pretty my old girl was back then, dont be afraid of a reshell these days, just make sure you are aware of it, plenty of good cars out there on the new shells, in time it will become a bonus if its on a new fresh one.