General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Soda Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 23-01-2011, 02:15 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Soda Blaster

Has anyone used this methot to remove paint from engine parts?

or more specifically, used this machine:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Millar-Soda-Bl...item3a628bbb09

looking for info on how good it works, and if it's worth the dosh, going to be rebuilding my rs turbo engine and like to clean and paint bits as I go, and as this is pretty cheap, it could save me on the long run.
Old 23-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought one, used it, broke it, got full refund...

If you are doing very small pieces then I pressume it may be of some use, I asked them if this machine was ideal for doing the whole underside of my car and they said it would be ok, after a whole bag of the fine grit (they say its ok to use this as well through the soda setup, all bought though them) I had only done about 30cm square of the floor and it blew a hole in the side of the valve.

You will also need a very big compressor as i had 2 50Litre compressors linked and they could not keep the pressure up enough for what you need.

If you go on the miller web site they have video's (that I wish I had seen before i purchased) and you can see how slow it is to do the work.
Fair play to them though as I told them of my issues and they said return it for full refund and this is what they did with no issues.

I now use a local company to me that do the work for you, cost me £20 to do a pair of shocks and canisters but said works out cheaper if you take stuff down in bulk rather than bits here and there.

Hope this helps
Old 23-01-2011, 05:07 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for that Gav, I was planning on doing things like my alloys, cylinder head, inlet, block, G.box that someone has made a mess of painting and brackets etc, seeing as it's non abrasive and washes away with water it sounded ideal for cleaning the head up. I've watched a couple of vids and it does look like it takes a while. I have a screw type compressor which is pretty good so I think that would be ok for the job. I dont mind spending time on parts but if it uses a lot of soda for only a small area cleaned then it may work out cheaper just to get somewhere to do what I need it for?
Old 24-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a bag of the fine grit in about 30mins bud.

I now use these guys http://www.suttonsodablasting.co.uk/

I just did a google/yahoo search for soda blasting and my local area
Old 24-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Gav Diamond
Bought one, used it, broke it, got full refund...

If you are doing very small pieces then I pressume it may be of some use, I asked them if this machine was ideal for doing the whole underside of my car and they said it would be ok, after a whole bag of the fine grit (they say its ok to use this as well through the soda setup, all bought though them) I had only done about 30cm square of the floor and it blew a hole in the side of the valve.

You will also need a very big compressor as i had 2 50Litre compressors linked and they could not keep the pressure up enough for what you need.

If you go on the miller web site they have video's (that I wish I had seen before i purchased) and you can see how slow it is to do the work.
Fair play to them though as I told them of my issues and they said return it for full refund and this is what they did with no issues.

I now use a local company to me that do the work for you, cost me £20 to do a pair of shocks and canisters but said works out cheaper if you take stuff down in bulk rather than bits here and there.

Hope this helps
Don't use Soda-Blast-Systems (UK) Ltd in Tyseley.

I used them to clean the paint and filler off my arch kit, front bumper and grille. Absoloute animals, I would never recommend them to anyone. Good job for him that we did a cash deal otherwise he would have found himself in court.
Old 24-01-2011, 08:00 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use somebody that aint brutal, is it possible to soda blast Plastic?
Old 24-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
If you use somebody that aint brutal, is it possible to soda blast Plastic?
Yes you can blast plastic but they need to be very careful not to stay in one spot too long as it does damage the plastic, personally I wouldn't bother.
Old 24-01-2011, 10:07 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What would you use instead then Martin? Corsa Gsi bumer which started carabic blue, is now red, and I want it arden blue. Really dont want 3 layers of different coloured paint on it.
Old 26-01-2011, 12:05 AM
PAUL V
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
Don't use Soda-Blast-Systems (UK) Ltd in Tyseley.

I used them to clean the paint and filler off my arch kit, front bumper and grille. Absoloute animals, I would never recommend them to anyone. Good job for him that we did a cash deal otherwise he would have found himself in court.
I saw your parts there martin when i took so parts from a Ferrari.

I too had a paint job go very wrong and needed to strip all the paint off.

The guy talks a good job but he could not get the paint of fibreglass without damage as he 1st thought, he blasted me an alloy grill and charged me £180 when it only cost me £50.00 to have it dipped previously at SPL.

Waste of time and money
Old 26-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
What would you use instead then Martin? Corsa Gsi bumer which started carabic blue, is now red, and I want it arden blue. Really dont want 3 layers of different coloured paint on it.
Sell the bumper and get another one.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
GrimV8
Smokin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought all the gear from them and it's great but was too small and slow for doing the whole E-Type I used it on.
I was gutted to see I could have bought the blaster much cheaper elsewhere and just bought the conversion kit for soda from them and fitted it myself though
I'm buliding a smaller booth just for doing wheels, small parts and single panels in, as the mess far exceeded my expectations