General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

sierra clutch cable adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
gazdon
wheeler dealer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra clutch cable adjustment

anyone know how to adjust the clutch cable on a 1988 ford sierra 2.8 xr4x4 thanks gaz
Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gazdon
anyone know how to adjust the clutch cable on a 1988 ford sierra 2.8 xr4x4 thanks gaz
Hi fella,pretty sure sierras of that era had the ratchet and pawl mechanism which means it's self adjusting via the clutch pedal.try pumping the pedal a few times and you should hear it clicking under foot which means it's trying to self adjust.They do wear out and it's a bit of a pig of a job but not impossible.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 PM
gazdon
wheeler dealer

Originally Posted by vaughant
Hi fella,pretty sure sierras of that era had the ratchet and pawl mechanism which means it's self adjusting via the clutch pedal.try pumping the pedal a few times and you should hear it clicking under foot which means it's trying to self adjust.They do wear out and it's a bit of a pig of a job but not impossible.
the pedal clicks everytime its pushed down.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:58 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ratchet needs replaceding by sounds of it
change that and it'll adjust by itself
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like the ratchet could be worn.

My old XR3i had the same set up and it was forever eating clutch cables. Always carried a spare cable and had a basic toolkit in the boot purely for changing cables at the side of the road. Sometimes you could do them in a few minutes other times it could be a real bitch and take much longer trying to thread the cable over the mechanism. Happy days lol.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hmm,sounds like its either trying to self adjust or slipping on the ratchet and pawl,I'd guess more the latter unfortunately.it's a bit of a crap job tbh but been done many a time on here so worth a quick search or if you don't fancy it I'd budget about Ł50 labour at a garage and about Ł10 for the bits.

If you have a crack yourself disconnect it gearbox end first and if it's possible take the drivers seat out to gain access.

I've only done it once on an Rs turbo and I ignored those two steps and it literally took me and my mate all day!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:20 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes it sounds like your ratchet is worn out there only plastic & as said take seat out makes it easier but you still got to be flexible.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

It should self adjust, I think you can do an adjustment it's something like you press the pedal down and release and then using your fingers push the pedal up a little. Beyond that it's probably going to need a new quadrant (AKA) half moon as said.

This requires the lower drivers dash facia to be removed and it is easiest if you remove the pedal from the car which isn't to hard either and it can be done without totally removing the pedal box.

Martin
Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 AM
gazdon
wheeler dealer

thanks pepole for the help
Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said it's the teeth worn, despite what's said it's a piss easy job, do in around 1 hour taking clutch pedal off, the other alternative though is to tap a thread in the hole that holds the end of the cable at the box end, and using a motorbike brake lever cable adjuster make it adjustable so setting the pedal height where you want, you can use a nut bolt straight through the adjuster to lock it in place on the pedal, that way for less than the cost of a new ratchet and pawl you get a adjustable pedal that can't let go, simples!!
tabetha