General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

3D tv people

Search this Thread

Old 30-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I disagree.

I think it's a gimmick that will slowly peter out. The fact that they're being massively discounted already speaks volumes to me.

It speaks volumes to me as well, it shows that due to the massive investments being made into the technology that the price of the technology is falling rapidly so by the time something has been on the shelf a while its out of date pricing and needs to be reduced to stay competitive.
This is the same as what happened with mircowave ovens prices for example.

It's just handy that the TVs can display good 2D images, so you've not really lost anything by buying one. The main issue, for me and many others, is the specs - I don't want to wear glasses as I watch telly, and what if you actually wear glasses, surely that's a bit awkward?
If you have a system like the Sony active glasses one, then at times you dont wear them, for watching normal TV, then there is no difference, they dont hinder you watching 2d tv, they just enable you to watch 3d on occasion if its something you feel is worth watching in 3d (avatar for example certainly is a better experience in 3d than in 2d for example)
You can get ones that fit over normal glasses too.

HD yes, 3D no (IMO obviously).
I think you are wrong on that.
I think that HD/3D will both be standard spec on all high end TV's more or less within 10 years time and probably "common place" a lot sooner than that.
We'll bump this in a few years and see, lol

I also am not majorly impressed with 3D-ness, it's like there are several 2D layers overlayed to give a 3D effect. While it's quite fun at times, it's not for me, and it's definitey not a reason to spend lots of money on.
Its 2 different images, not several, and as you only have 2 eyes, thats all you need.
Old 30-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by danneth
I work along side audio images, so i hope that clears it up for you i dont just see the one tv i see 100's with all kind of setup's ranging from 1k to 500k

theres a reason i haven't bought one but doesn't mean i cant give advice on them, i hope that clears it up for you
As I said, if I didnt make it clear I wanted opinions from owners with long term experience of one particular half of the technology (ie active glasses or passive ones) and what they thought of it, I dont really see that as anything like the input you are giving just cause you work next door to currys or whatever
As I said, my fault for not making my post idiot proof enough, thanks for putting the effort to add your opinion that you felt was interesting to me though, not your fault there was a misunderstanding.
Im sure some of what you have said will interest others anyway, so no harm done, just explaining why I personally am not interested in your random generalisations etc as you specifically questioned what I was looking for with the thread.
But im not telling you not to post them for the benefit of others, am only discussing this with you at all because you started the discussion in terms of what you felt I personally wanted from the post.

Last edited by Chip; 30-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 30-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Nick D
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
they just enable you to watch 3d on occasion if its something you feel is worth watching in 3d

And when you do feel that this is the case.....................the fucking things will be flat!
Old 30-11-2010, 02:59 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I said, if I didnt make it clear I wanted opinions from owners with long term experience of one particular half of the technology (ie active glasses or passive ones) and what they thought of it, I dont really see that as anything like the input you are giving just cause you work next door to currys or whatever
Have a read back i just told you the downside to 3D tv's atm, you then tried to put me right with the glasses theory that you had in which you thought the said problems didn't happen now look your dummys are out of the pram

http://www.audio-images.co.uk/ not quite currys
Old 30-11-2010, 03:01 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He tends to like to hammer that point home one way or another with more or less every post he makes.
Old 30-11-2010, 03:07 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It speaks volumes to me as well, it shows that due to the massive investments being made into the technology that the price of the technology is falling rapidly so by the time something has been on the shelf a while its out of date pricing and needs to be reduced to stay competitive.
This is the same as what happened with mircowave ovens prices for example.
Microwaves were very expensive for a long time, it was a good few years into their development that the prices came down - I don't know enough about microwave technology to accurately comment on the reasons for the prices coming down, but I'd wager it was for entirely different reasons to 3D TV's price dropping!

I think you are wrong on that.
I think that HD/3D will both be standard spec on all high end TV's more or less within 10 years time and probably "common place" a lot sooner than that.
We'll bump this in a few years and see, lol
That's something that, as you point out, only time can answer. But I know that I won't be shelling out for what I see as a gimmicky technology... not just yet anyhow.

Its 2 different images, not several, and as you only have 2 eyes, thats all you need.
Not what I mean - Say there's a 'crowd scene' in a film - when it's 3D'd it doesn't look like a load of people in a crowd, because of the way the 3D image parallax effect works it looks like a load of people in layers. It just makes you aware that it's 'forced' 3D and not real.

Don't get me wrong, 3D is fun - I'm one of the people who jumps when something comes flying out of the screen towards me, it's just not for me. I've seen a couple of films at the flicks in 3D, but always choose the 2D option now.
Old 30-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Danster76

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pansonic is now the pioneer tech yes which should tell you all you need to know? the LG sets are awesome
Tells me what? Buy a panasonic? Buy a LG??

Maybe pm me danneth.
Apologies for clogging up your thread Chip.
Old 30-11-2010, 03:22 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Danster76
Tells me what? Buy a panasonic? Buy a LG??

Maybe pm me danneth.
Apologies for clogging up your thread Chip.
You have to go with your own eyes mate, i dont have anything else but panasonic but everyone is different, just make sure what ever store/shop you go into they have the tv's setup correctly for you,
Old 30-11-2010, 03:27 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a Samsung 3D TV (55") with the active 3d glasses, didnt buy the TV just for the 3D, mainly because of how it looked!! However having tried it a few times with the glasses on its brilliant, although after 20 or 30 minutes my eyes get really tired and a headache kicks in! The upscaling is good and things like Simpsons and Family Guy are good upscaled, as well as PS3 games!
Old 30-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Danster76

Originally Posted by cfoster
I got a Samsung 3D TV (55") with the active 3d glasses, didnt buy the TV just for the 3D, mainly because of how it looked!! However having tried it a few times with the glasses on its brilliant, although after 20 or 30 minutes my eyes get really tired and a headache kicks in! The upscaling is good and things like Simpsons and Family Guy are good upscaled, as well as PS3 games!
Did you go for the UE55C8000?
Old 30-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Chip

Have a read back i just told you the downside to 3D tv's atm
I want to know about the relative merits of the two different glasses setups, thats what the whole thred is about.

You havent mentioned anything specific to one or the other you have just slagged 3d in general off, which is of no interest to me.

you then tried to put me right with the glasses theory that you had in which you thought the said problems didn't happen
I didnt say I thought that they didnt happen, I said that I had experienced that they didnt happen, very different thing!

Last edited by Chip; 30-11-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 30-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by cfoster

Thats interesting about the headaches.

Do other people find the same when they watch your tv with the glasses on?
(just wondering if it effects your wife as well for example)
Old 30-11-2010, 03:45 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Thats interesting about the headaches.

Do other people find the same when they watch your tv with the glasses on?
(just wondering if it effects your wife as well for example)
I'd suggest it depends on how good your eyes are. If there's an imbalance in the vision between your eyes then they have to work much harder than normal to keep up with the 3Dness.
Old 30-11-2010, 03:50 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Danster76
Did you go for the UE55C8000?
I did indeed mate Posted it before but here's a pic!

Chip - i'd be also interested about the headaches, my missus hasnt really tried them so hard to compare. However i'm fortunate enough to have good eyesight, don't wear glasses at all (am 31) so would've thought i'd have been ok. 3D films in the cinema and i've been fine but they are different glasses....

Chris
Old 30-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Danster76

Chris,

Good enough for me. I'm gonna get one.

Cheers
Old 30-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Chip

cfoster, treat yours mrs to a 3d dvd would you? I want to see if it effects her too

during the time you were watching it, did you get any of the effects that Danneth said you would like:
Ghosting, motion blur, crosstalk
?

Last edited by Chip; 30-11-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 30-11-2010, 04:32 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol, ill see what i can do mate, only got one pair of glasses so i'll make an excuse to go out on the piss and leave 'er indoors!!!!

With the ghosting, blur etc nothing of the sort, although the BluRay Terminator 2 was out of lip sync which was annoying (via PS3!)

Chris
Old 30-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Chip

Cfoster, that would be great if you could just leave her to it then ask her how she got on

Would also be interesting to see if you stick at it and watch it often if the problem goes away.

Might just be a personal thing though, for example I use computer screens for work for huge numbers of hours during the week for example and have never had headaches caused by them, and yet some people can get issues.

With regards to the side effects (or lack or) thats the same thing I found when I tried the active glasses then.

Guess Danneth must just have got confused about which glasses cause which effects or something!

Last edited by Chip; 30-11-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 30-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I'd suggest it depends on how good your eyes are. If there's an imbalance in the vision between your eyes then they have to work much harder than normal to keep up with the 3Dness.

Im not sure that is the case, I think its more likely to be to do with the refresh rate and the time period during which there is blackness for each eye rather than any imbalance between your eyes as from that point of view how is it any different to watching a normal telly?
Old 30-11-2010, 05:06 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

True mate it might just be me!!! Although I do work in IT and also sit in front of multiple screens during the day!!
Old 30-11-2010, 05:20 PM
rs-tuner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I watched avatar 3d in the cinema half way through my eyes felt tired I didn't get any headaches but had to remove the glasses for 10 mins.

Also I think 3d is here to stay. Sky have spent millions to set up one channel and they are usually right about this sort of new tech.
Old 30-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by rs-tuner
When I watched avatar 3d in the cinema half way through my eyes felt tired I didn't get any headaches but had to remove the glasses for 10 mins.

Also I think 3d is here to stay. Sky have spent millions to set up one channel and they are usually right about this sort of new tech.
Not just sky, look at all the money that pixar and the like have spent totally redoing all their animation software to allow it to work in 3D, they will not be keen to just bin that and go back to 2D now, would be throwing away so much investment.

Last time 3D was a fad when it was in the cinemas with the coloured glasses because it was 3D at the expense of full colour, this time there is no downside of that scale to hold it back though.
Old 30-11-2010, 05:43 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

cfoster, treat yours mrs to a 3d dvd would you? I want to see if it effects her too

during the time you were watching it, did you get any of the effects that Danneth said you would like:
Ghosting, motion blur, crosstalk
?

Read any review they will tell you the same but as usual chip knows best.

"The major problem with the 3D image on the UE46C8000 was an image artefact called crosstalk. This artefact is caused when latent images intended for the left eye are perceived by the right eye and vice versa, thus creating a ghost-like double image. Our 3D Guide video explains this in greater detail for those interested in finding out more. These latent images are due to the response time of the panel coupled with imperfect sync with the glasses in active shutter systems"

I found the active shutter glasses comfortable to wear and easy to operate, although on a couple of occasions I lost the synch with the display. I'm not sure if this was my fault or due to the glasses and the display losing their connection but I noticed it happened after a dark scene so it might be related to the display blacking out when there is perceived to be no signal. Also if you tilt your head the image darkens and you lose the 3D effect so this precludes lying down on the sofa and watching TV (as I often do). And finally if you want to try and calibrate the 3D image then you are given the CMS and a Two Point greyscale option. However you will also have to find a way to compensate for the glasses effect on luminance.

then they went on to say about the dull picture due to the glasses and some people can also tell about the flickering with them to :-(

advert for LG's latest ones

"If you’re watching the latest technology on your screen, why not get the latest in your 3D glasses too? Shutter glass technology uses liquid crystal to deliver great 3D images with virtually no “ghosting”, or image trailing

virtually none, so its not all together gone just cut down happy now

Last edited by danneth; 30-11-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 30-11-2010, 06:07 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Im not sure that is the case, I think its more likely to be to do with the refresh rate and the time period during which there is blackness for each eye rather than any imbalance between your eyes as from that point of view how is it any different to watching a normal telly?
Suppose it depends how bad your eyes are. My wife gets headaches really quickly but then one of her eyes is much worse than the other (another reason why I'd not get [be allowed] a 3D telly!)
Old 30-11-2010, 07:11 PM
cjwood555

If you are using active shutter glasses, the PQ is exactly the same, it just halves the refresh rate, but anything over 100hz is more than my brain would notice anyway
Just to point out, 3d actually halves the vertical resolution in ALL picture modes, 1080P 3D is actually 3x 540P 2D. Have a look at the protocol spec for hdmi 1.4 on hdmi.org.

Chris
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Dexy
DTFTW

Got only Sony TV's at the moment and always been really happy with them, in fact I think its probably over 10 years since Ive had anything other than a Sony TV now.
So I'll probably just stick with them for that reason.

Can honestly say I have never been unhappy with any Sony product.
I was the same myself chip, but i seem to be leaving them now, i used to only buy sony, but im going off sony now.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:10 AM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone played black ops or gt5 in 3D yet? That would be something I'd like to try out!