General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

can i change the lock barrel in my upvc front door?

Old 20-11-2010, 05:37 PM
john_p_b
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can i change the lock barrel in my upvc front door?

as title, is it possible to just change the lock barrel in my front door or will i need all new handles etc?

blooody door is only a few months old but my not so friendly plumber still has a key and is being a cunt about giving it back so it's a choice between going and persuading him to give me the key back or getting the lock changed but i would like to know which is likely to be more time consuming.
Old 20-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Course you can!! It's a piece of piss to change too!!
Old 20-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Look on the strip down the edge of the door and you'll see a screw thats level with the bottom of the lock barrel. Unscrew it, Put your key in the lock turn the key to the one o'clock position and the lock barrel will pull out.
Measure the overall length of the old lock and measure from the cam in the middle to the outer edge (both sides) and that'll give you what you need to buy a new one.
45/50 are the most common sized euro cylinders i used to use, shouldnt pay more than 20 quid for a new 'un from B&Q or screwfix etc
hth
Old 20-11-2010, 05:41 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you should be able to,cost about £5-£10 for a new one with keys,we did ours.
Old 20-11-2010, 05:42 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

will take about 10 mins tops..just make sure you get the correct size lock as there are loads of different sizes
Old 20-11-2010, 05:42 PM
3drstretch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

easy mate. look on ide of door and there will be a screw around the catch area. remove this and the lock will then pull out either way. Measure lock from both sides are some ar different length up to the catch ie 60mm one sie 70mm other. take measurements to locksmiths/ b+q etc and get new lock and fit
Old 20-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Oh, and dont be talked into buying anti drill/ anti bump/ anti snap euro cylinders either, waste of money imo, just get a boggo one
Old 20-11-2010, 05:45 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

In a word "Yes" it is a very simple procedure
What you have is whats known as a "Euro Barrel" and to remove it open the door and if you look in the rebate were the lock mechanism is and were the Barrel is you will see a slightly different screw which is securing the lock. Simply unscrew this. Make sure you have to Key in the lock as it needs to be turned slightly for the Barrel to be withdrawn.Just need to wiggle it from side to side a little as the fit is quite tight going through the Handles. I sometimes loosen the Handle screws to ease it. Once removed you will have to make sure you get the exact same size so measure is and check the "Offset" of the lock. Might want to change it for a "Thumb Turn" while you are at it so you can lock it from the inside without a key
Old 20-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Originally Posted by yellowsierra
In a word "Yes" it is a very simple procedure
What you have is whats known as a "Euro Barrel" and to remove it open the door and if you look in the rebate were the lock mechanism is and were the Barrel is you will see a slightly different screw which is securing the lock. Simply unscrew this. Make sure you have to Key in the lock as it needs to be turned slightly for the Barrel to be withdrawn.Just need to wiggle it from side to side a little as the fit is quite tight going through the Handles. I sometimes loosen the Handle screws to ease it. Once removed you will have to make sure you get the exact same size so measure is and check the "Offset" of the lock. Might want to change it for a "Thumb Turn" while you are at it so you can lock it from the inside without a key
I'd advise against a thumb turn if its in an external door, EXTREMELY easy to open without the keys...
Old 20-11-2010, 05:53 PM
john_p_b

cheers folks, found em on B&Q for £15-£20 just need to be sure which one i need so will pull it apart tomorrow. i'll take so much pleasure in telling the "plumber" to shove the key right where it's not gonna see daylight again
Old 20-11-2010, 05:56 PM
john_p_b

ooooooooooh or a fiver from screw fix which is right next door to B&Q
Old 20-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

How easy is it to change the lock when the door is locked and can't be opened? I've a door I've not been able to open as I didn't have the keys when I moved in.
Old 20-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

PM sent Dal
Old 20-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Mike C
The Special One

2 minute job, just make sure you get the right size and profile. I've got various sized double euro cylinders and thumbturn models in stock. If you can't get one and I've got stock in the right size I'll send you one free of charge. All mine come with 3 keys
Old 20-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Originally Posted by Mike C
2 minute job, just make sure you get the right size and profile. I've got various sized double euro cylinders and thumbturn models in stock. If you can't get one and I've got stock in the right size I'll send you one free of charge. All mine come with 3 keys
cant say fairer than that
The company I worked for charged £38 + vat Then £65 + vat to fit it
Old 20-11-2010, 06:21 PM
john_p_b

cheers for the offer mike, i'll see what i can pick up tomorrow and possibly get back to you.
Old 20-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Daveysaff
PM sent Dal
Thanks for the info mate - much appreciated
Old 20-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Lamb Souvla
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure the lock sits flush with your handle on the outside of the door, ie none of the lock poking out at all.
Deff dont get a thumb turn, as above very easy to open.
Easy job though, OMFG at the above £38+vat for the euro then £65+vat for fitting, anyone wonder where locksmiths tend to be labelled at very expensive/ rips off merchants. I would feel so so embarrassed if I quoted someone £120 to supply and fit a euro.

Cheers, Mike
Old 20-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As above, you can get a "snapper" and a crucifix and be into a euro thats too long in seconds, £120 for an exchange hubba hubba lol
Old 21-11-2010, 09:49 AM
john_p_b

right folks, i've taken it out and had a measure up, do i measure to each side of the locking cam or include it?

if i measure to each side of the cam it's 40/45 which looks about right with whats on the screwfix site but they all say over all length of 85mm but mine measures 95mm overall including the cam.
Old 21-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike C
What a nice offer....Nice 1 mike..
Old 21-11-2010, 10:41 AM
fezzielove
PassionFord Regular

after seeing how easy these lock are to remove and open without a key i don’t trust them security wise is it possible to get a new cylinder that sits flush with the outside of the PVC door casing so there is no lip for the barrel to be snapped from the outside